Photo

SDSU AD Jim Sterk "Its not all done yet...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
296 replies to this topic

#276 Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

No, I mean SDSU and BSU got it wrong by splitting up it's sports programs. I've held this philosophy for years and will most likely never change. The only reason to consider it is money and while $'s are one consideration it isn't as important to me as it is some of you. I think things like rivalries, traditions, regional relationships, etc. are much more important. Splitting up athletic programs really hurts that. I admire Thompson and the MWC presidents for their positions on this. I didn't like the Hawaii exception.

Your SDSU leadership decided to be an exception to this historical model in college athletics, so yes, it's quite clear to me why you're an advocate of it. The large majority of colleges across America are not. I would rather Wyo bring all sports to the Big Sky than split ours up. That's where I'm coming from.

I can suggest that you want other western schools to validate what SDSU did, but I won't. :D

From SDSU's standpoint I agree they have a bit more to lose having their Basketball program in the Big West, then again FBS football and the other sports are in completely different worlds. Longbeach State from the Big West still made it to the tourney so I don't see why SDSU would have much trouble getting in there and making some waves. So who knows. From BSU's perspective however, THEY LOSE NOTHING by putting their other sports in either the WAC or the Big West. BSU always has been and always will be a football dominant school. It's just the way it is, the other sports have always had very little draw/revenue and it isn't going to change much no matter what they do. It's harsh to say but BSU's other sports are essentially a ball and chain for the football program and this opportunity finally gives them the chance to allow the football program to break free and maximize it's potential revenue (at least for now) and give them some growth opportunity. That said, as mentioned above the other sports still have the opportunity to go to the big dance since the other sports aren't bound by the same disparities that FBS football are.

As for $, people who claim it doesn't matter are suffering from the ostrich syndrome. It is a problem that isn't going away and the disparity is only getting worse and worse. If you are content with your program never growing past being a regional direction program then you are correct that money doesn't matter, but for the programs who wish to continue to grow and develop and play at the highest level you better be seriously concerned about the $. More money, more resources, better recruits, better coaches (generally), and the list goes on from there.

#277 av-rated

av-rated

The Bulldog Shiznit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

As for $, people who claim it doesn't matter are suffering from the ostrich syndrome. It is a problem that isn't going away and the disparity is only getting worse and worse. If you are content with your program never growing past being a regional direction program then you are correct that money doesn't matter, but for the programs who wish to continue to grow and develop and play at the highest level you better be seriously concerned about the $. More money, more resources, better recruits, better coaches (generally), and the list goes on from there.

You're correct that $ will help with some of these things, but it doesn't deliver success in and of itself....you know that....but your odds are certainly improved.

But it's peculiar when we have to read constant gripes and jabs about the alliance from Boise and SDSU fans when the move is, if it happens, just like the BSU and SDSU move, merely a move designed to increase exposure and revenue. If it does, it needs to happen no matter how unwieldy it may seem. I haven't paid enough attention to know where you stand, but it's funny that when it comes to increasing exposure/revenue, what's good for the goose doesn't seem good for the gander.

#278 Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

You're correct that $ will help with some of these things, but it doesn't deliver success in and of itself....you know that....but your odds are certainly improved.

But it's peculiar when we have to read constant gripes and jabs about the alliance from Boise and SDSU fans when the move is, if it happens, just like the BSU and SDSU move, merely a move designed to increase exposure and revenue. If it does, it needs to happen no matter how unwieldy it may seem. I haven't paid enough attention to know where you stand, but it's funny that when it comes to increasing exposure/revenue, what's good for the goose doesn't seem good for the gander.

Honestly I wish the alliance the best and would like to see them try and get something decent going. The problem I have is with the delusional alliance fans who seem to think that they will somehow overtake the BE in media revenue and that Boise and SDSU will suddenly "see the light" and come back and rejoin. The BE may not be what it once was (then again outside of BBall Pitt and Syracuse are dying football programs/markets) but it definitely is in a better bargaining position than the alliance is. The only other issue I have with the alliance is all the misdirection of the folks in charge and making announcements to the media about one thing and then turning around later and retracting it. I hope that the schools do well and do make more money but I fear for the programs due to the thus far inept leadership.

#279 FresnoStateBulldogFan

FresnoStateBulldogFan

Official Fresno St. Homer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

I could be wrong, as I often am.....but I don't think the BE gives a rat's azz about the well being
of BSU's olys.

You are very correct sir... they could care less at least it appears that way... but imagine when MCW/CUSA invites SJSU, USU, La Tech, and UTSA. WAC will be done especially since NMSU, North Texas and UTSA looking to move to the sunbelt. So now that the WAC is done where does Boise put their Oly Sports?

BW is the answer. Beside IMHO and guess Boise State fans would like to see their school stay with SDSU in the same conference and I think that Fresno State will tag along if nothing more as bargaining chip for Boise to secure there oly sports within a stable conference.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

B..U..L..L..D..O..G..S!! GO DOGS GO!! FIGHT DOGS FIGHT!! GOOOO DOGS!!!!

RIP COACH SWEENEY!

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I am going to be a Bulldog til the day I'm dead!

"I've got that Bulldog spirit down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart.
I've got that Bulldog spirit down in my heart, down in my heart to stay!" - Sung by Jim Sweeney

Fresno State 35
Assticks 28

#280 av-rated

av-rated

The Bulldog Shiznit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Honestly I wish the alliance the best and would like to see them try and get something decent going. The problem I have is with the delusional alliance fans who seem to think that they will somehow overtake the BE in media revenue and that Boise and SDSU will suddenly "see the light" and come back and rejoin. The BE may not be what it once was (then again outside of BBall Pitt and Syracuse are dying football programs/markets) but it definitely is in a better bargaining position than the alliance is. The only other issue I have with the alliance is all the misdirection of the folks in charge and making announcements to the media about one thing and then turning around later and retracting it. I hope that the schools do well and do make more money but I fear for the programs due to the thus far inept leadership.

I honestly think you can count the number of fans that actually believe the alliance will earn more than the new BE on one or two fingers, and if pressed on it, it would be down to zero. So I see most BSU and SDSU alliance bashers as just having a go at it for not getting the universal pat on the back from the fans of remaining schools or from being chaffed by honest debate or questions about logistics, Oly sports, etc. Surely you can see the irony from that 'sit tight and don't do it crowd'...when in reality they're nothing but a bunch of 'do as I say, not as I do' types.

Anyhow, the leadership probably could be handling the information a bit better to at least avoid the appearance that contingencies were not accounted for...but I'd prefer to see how it plays out before labeling anyone inept.

From a Fresno State perspective...we'll be alright. As you know, we were part of the group left for dead before and ultimately had far greater success than many of those that moved on. Similarly, like Boise, during that time we were not as well funded as the MWC teams or the 17 or 18 AQs we've knocked off along the way or the AQ teams we made sh.t themselves before coming up just short (Ttech, AM, SC, etc.). So it's worked out ok. Even better for Boise obviously.

BTW, we get zero conference (WAC) dollars this year so anything going forward will seem like a windfall...in addition, Fresno State finally (this year) got on board with a meaningful student fee increase to go towards athletics. So we'll actually be looking at more money than ever to be honest. We'll see how it works out.

#281 FresnoStateBulldogFan

FresnoStateBulldogFan

Official Fresno St. Homer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

I am not going to lie... I would love it if we got into the BE and side stepped the alliance. I will miss playing Hawaii, Nevada, SJSU should they get in and our chance to play UNLV.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

B..U..L..L..D..O..G..S!! GO DOGS GO!! FIGHT DOGS FIGHT!! GOOOO DOGS!!!!

RIP COACH SWEENEY!

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I am going to be a Bulldog til the day I'm dead!

"I've got that Bulldog spirit down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart.
I've got that Bulldog spirit down in my heart, down in my heart to stay!" - Sung by Jim Sweeney

Fresno State 35
Assticks 28

#282 AndreAztec

AndreAztec

SDSU Aztecs Fight!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

You at that game? Didn't appear to be very many aztec fans there from where we were sitting. If there were a lot, they sure were quiet. Lets see how many of you guys come here to the road game this year. Probably count them on 2 hands.

Yeah I was. You had maybe 2K of 33K there. You're probably right about Aztecs coming to Fresno. I mean who wants to go there? You won't see me there, i can assure you of that.
Posted Image

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

#283 SleepingGiantsFan

SleepingGiantsFan

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,967 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

This.

And MY criticism of the Bloated America Conference is because it's what drove SDSU away. Maybe we would have wanted to go to the BE anyway, but I doubt it. SDSU expressly contacted the B12 about membership once it became apparent that Thompson's discussions with Banowski were no longer confined to discussing creating a TV partnership and a football championship game but remaining separate conferences. That was the extent of the discussions when SDSU President Weber was chairing the MWC's BOD. However, maybe coincidentally but probably not, once UNLV's prez took over, the talks with CUSA changed significantly. How anybody would think that an idea pushed for by the president of one of the handful of least desirable schools within the MWC and CUSA, Tulane, could be of benefit to the MOST desirable schools is beyond me.

I guess because SDSU has been a member since it's inception the MWC's future somehow matters to me. I therefore hold out hope the merger will not become a reality. However, the writing is sadly on the wall.

#284 SDSU-Alum2003

SDSU-Alum2003

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

You are very correct sir... they could care less at least it appears that way... but imagine when MCW/CUSA invites SJSU, USU, La Tech, and UTSA. WAC will be done especially since NMSU, North Texas and UTSA looking to move to the sunbelt. So now that the WAC is done where does Boise put their Oly Sports?

BW is the answer. Beside IMHO and guess Boise State fans would like to see their school stay with SDSU in the same conference and I think that Fresno State will tag along if nothing more as bargaining chip for Boise to secure there oly sports within a stable conference.

I think you may be right. The other option (besides joining the WAC)... SDSU, Boise State & Fresno State form the core of a new Olympic Sports league... potentially Hawaii (football independent), UCSB, Long Beach State, Denver, Seattle, Portland State... long shot = BYU.

#285 SDSU-Alum2003

SDSU-Alum2003

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

#286 RebelRobert

RebelRobert

New Conference Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

UNLV is the obvious and only choice.

#287 nvspuds

nvspuds

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

If I was the BE I would pick UNLV. They don't need a good football team. They need tv sets..

#288 LOBOfanforsure

LOBOfanforsure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:49 AM

And if you have listened to any of the conferences the Big East has had it's pretty clear they want their western additions to have solid spots for their oly teams.

Got the word today. It's Pacific. They are solid for their olys.
- UNLV nor UNM would not join the BE even if our football program was 10 times better
- UNLV nor UNM will never scatter its sports in different conferences
- UNLV and UNM are West schools and this is where they will be associated with other regional rivals
- UNLV nor UNM will not join you in basketball or any other sport in the Big West
- UNLV nor UNM will not be a member of any olympic sports only western conference
- UNLV and UNM respects all members of this conference and wishes them well
- UNLV and UNM are focused on bigger goals and if the time comes to leave I hope our fans will say thank you to MWC and do this with class, something that you never had

On personal note:

- I don't care if SDSU is ever in the same conference with UNLV or UNM again
- I hope that SDSU departs and learns a lesson the hard way
- Your basketball program deserves few year in the BW to teach you modesty
- Your fans calling MWC all sorts of names don't deserve a second chance.
- You burned your bridges behind, I wish you would be gone after this season.
- I hope that the BE f#@^s you over so good that you will understand how a REAL butthurt feels

#289 aztecbob

aztecbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

If I was the BE I would pick UNLV. They don't need a good football team. They need tv sets..

If we needed tv sets, screw UNLV, we'd take Fresno or SJSU. Both of which would bring more TV sets. You're letting your scarlet colored glasses cloud your judgement on this one.

Plus, your President is the mastermind of the whole Alliance. He's not going to turn his back on his baby.
Posted Image

#290 pokebball

pokebball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

From SDSU's standpoint I agree they have a bit more to lose having their Basketball program in the Big West, then again FBS football and the other sports are in completely different worlds. Longbeach State from the Big West still made it to the tourney so I don't see why SDSU would have much trouble getting in there and making some waves. So who knows. From BSU's perspective however, THEY LOSE NOTHING by putting their other sports in either the WAC or the Big West. BSU always has been and always will be a football dominant school. It's just the way it is, the other sports have always had very little draw/revenue and it isn't going to change much no matter what they do. It's harsh to say but BSU's other sports are essentially a ball and chain for the football program and this opportunity finally gives them the chance to allow the football program to break free and maximize it's potential revenue (at least for now) and give them some growth opportunity. That said, as mentioned above the other sports still have the opportunity to go to the big dance since the other sports aren't bound by the same disparities that FBS football are.

I've bolded some of your response, to counter. First, i don't agree that football and other sports are in completely different worlds. In some ways they are, in many ways they are not. First of all, I would argue that men's basketball is much closer to football than the other olys.

Boise? They're just doing what they've already done a couple of times already. But are they doing for $s or are they doing it for the national recognition that has probably unfairly be taken from them? Hard to separate the two, but I'd argue the latter. That won't change in the BE. Even if BSU goes undefeated there, there will be other teams playing for the NC.

To clarify, I didn't say $ didn't matter. I understand and agree that $'s are one of many factors to consider. All I'm saying is that $'s do not trump all other factors for me. I don't know if this bears repeating, but in my opinion the $s need to be much, much bigger than they are before I'd support splitting up my athletic programs into two different conferences. Specifically in Wyoming's case, because of the health of our state budget, UW gets plenty of state funding in addition to the contributions from the energy companies operating here.

Time will certainly show how this turns out for SDSU. Nothing is wrong with chasing your dreams. I wish you the best of luck.

#291 tjdog

tjdog

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

How exactly is "Fresneck broke"??

Care to elaborate??

It'll be Fresno. It makes too much sense. They end up in the Big Least and solidify the Western edge. It's in the middle of a big media market (Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto) and close to the Bay Area....would bring more markets there. More access to California.

The Least has already shown it doesn't care about football performance. They let Memphis in for fvck's sake. AFA denied them once before it had gotten to be the giant shitshow it is now...why would they accept at this point? Fresneck is broke and needs the money, so they'll take it. Not to mention it gets them in the Big West for all other sports, which reunites them with rivals Hawaii, SDSU, and Cal Poly.

That's how I see it.

#292 edluvar

edluvar

Prestige Worldwide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

Care to elaborate??

Because it's not selling off it's natural resources to big biz, other then vino
Posted Image

#293 nvspuds

nvspuds

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

If we needed tv sets, screw UNLV, we'd take Fresno or SJSU. Both of which would bring more TV sets. You're letting your scarlet colored glasses cloud your judgement on this one.

Plus, your President is the mastermind of the whole Alliance. He's not going to turn his back on his baby.

I am a Nevada fan..I don't own anything red..Yick...

#294 Joe from WY

Joe from WY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Care to elaborate??

The whole Central Valley is decrepit. Probably the most economically depressed area in the US.

#295 tjdog

tjdog

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Solid response. Would explain why FS's endowment has never been higher and I think is the third largest in the CSU. If you think there the "whole Central Valley is decrepit" then you're a fool.

Get back to us when you have something concrete to back up your claim that "Fresneck is broke". Out.

The whole Central Valley is decrepit. Probably the most economically depressed area in the US.

#296 Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

This.

And MY criticism of the Bloated America Conference is because it's what drove SDSU away. Maybe we would have wanted to go to the BE anyway, but I doubt it. SDSU expressly contacted the B12 about membership once it became apparent that Thompson's discussions with Banowski were no longer confined to discussing creating a TV partnership and a football championship game but remaining separate conferences. That was the extent of the discussions when SDSU President Weber was chairing the MWC's BOD. However, maybe coincidentally but probably not, once UNLV's prez took over, the talks with CUSA changed significantly. How anybody would think that an idea pushed for by the president of one of the handful of least desirable schools within the MWC and CUSA, Tulane, could be of benefit to the MOST desirable schools is beyond me.

I guess because SDSU has been a member since it's inception the MWC's future somehow matters to me. I therefore hold out hope the merger will not become a reality. However, the writing is sadly on the wall.

Tell me about it. There are too many people in positions of power with the alliance that are making very different claims. They announced in mid February that they were going to dissolve and merge into one conference. Then roughly a month later they retract that and state that they are looking at a merger or maybe being two separate conferences that simply share revenue resources. Between all this the ECU AD is saying the alliance could be up to 32 teams, Craig Thompson comes out a couple of weeks later and says 24 teams. Then the Tulane AD comes out and says that if all else fails they will just continue on as two separate conferences and just add a few more teams to each conference. I feel like this is more comical than all the postings of discussions on the new post season format that is supposed to be in place in 2014. The bottom line is that they need to forge ahead behind closed doors and find a solution to this mess and strike a media deal. All of this garbage of different folks making different announcements and changing their directions and ideas on an almost weekly basis it seems is just getting out of hand. Hence my comment about inept leadership mentioned above. It sucks that the schools involved are stuck playing this waiting game while plans are announced by multiple parties and then scrapped and new announcements are made.

#297 Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

I've bolded some of your response, to counter. First, i don't agree that football and other sports are in completely different worlds. In some ways they are, in many ways they are not. First of all, I would argue that men's basketball is much closer to football than the other olys.

Boise? They're just doing what they've already done a couple of times already. But are they doing for $s or are they doing it for the national recognition that has probably unfairly be taken from them? Hard to separate the two, but I'd argue the latter. That won't change in the BE. Even if BSU goes undefeated there, there will be other teams playing for the NC.

To clarify, I didn't say $ didn't matter. I understand and agree that $'s are one of many factors to consider. All I'm saying is that $'s do not trump all other factors for me. I don't know if this bears repeating, but in my opinion the $s need to be much, much bigger than they are before I'd support splitting up my athletic programs into two different conferences. Specifically in Wyoming's case, because of the health of our state budget, UW gets plenty of state funding in addition to the contributions from the energy companies operating here.

Time will certainly show how this turns out for SDSU. Nothing is wrong with chasing your dreams. I wish you the best of luck.

The difference is that in bball are you left out of the tourney for one close loss or because you didn't win your conference? Furthermore access to post season play is totally different. You don't play in the bball equivalent of the Macco bowl for being a ranked team. The other huge difference is in revenue. FBS football is by far the most lucrative sport in college athletics. College BBall if you have a good team can be lucrative but even if you have a perennial tourney team you still aren't going to come close the revenue of say a PAC 12 bottom feeder football program.

As for $ while that may not be the most important to you, it is one of the most important things to a program that has reached a point where it cannot sustain it's current rapid growth on the whopping $1.5 mil a year TV contract. BSU prez Kustra stated when they announced the move to the BE that both media exposure and revenue were the two biggest reasons for the move. Wyoming and Colorado State both have decent sized endowments, so they have some sources of revenue where they can afford to skip a few mil to keep doing what they are doing. Boise State CAN'T. They are in the process of starting a $100 million stadium expansion project and are increasing salaries for coaches and are doing this in a school that has a very small endowment and in a state with a low income/low cost of living. So BSU is in a very different spot. SDSU is a bit different given the great success of their bball program, HOWEVER their issue I would say is recruiting. They already lose tons of great recruits to other schools and need to do something to make sure that they don't lose them all (San Diego is a recruiting hotbed for a number of schools at the FBS level). The disparities are getting worse. If your school has enough resources to preserve regional/directional status and is content with never being anything more than a mid-major then that is fine, but some programs need the resources of even a weak big conference in order to maintain their level of success, recruiting, etc.