Photo

Nevada and Fresno State for 2012-2013 Basketball roster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 sdsuphilip1

sdsuphilip1

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

I heard Nevada lost some transfer? Fresno got a pretty good looking player in Allen Huddleson. Can you guys post how your rosters look for 2012-2013 basketball wise right now?

#2 brillio

brillio

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

I heard Nevada lost some transfer? Fresno got a pretty good looking player in Allen Huddleson. Can you guys post how your rosters look for 2012-2013 basketball wise right now?

Are you talking about the two guys who transferred from last season's team? Conner and Crukic (I never learned how to spell his last name)? They weren't used much. All we lose from this year's team are Czyz and Hunt, which will hurt a little inside, but all our little freshmen and sophomores should be pretty experienced by then. But if you weren't talking about Conner and Crukic, then I just wasted your time.

#3 FSBulldogNation

FSBulldogNation

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

From GOBULLDOGS.COM:

Terry welcomes two junior college standouts -- Daquan Brown and Larry McGaughey -- and one high school, star, Julius Bilbrew.

Bilbrew, a versatile 6-2 guard, emerged as one of the best guards in the Los Angeles area by the end of his senior season for Inglewood High School. Inglewood has a storied basketball tradition that includes NBA stars Paul Pierce, Reggie Theus and Harold Minor.

Bilbrew helped lead his team to a 26-8 record as a senior and was named first-team All-Ocean League, second-team L.A. Daily Breeze All-Area and was named the outstanding offensive player for Inglewood. Bilbrew averaged 25 points per game in three playoff games and participated in the LA City vs. CIF Collision All-Star Game.

"Julius has tremendous potential," said Terry. "We like his ability to create shots. He's an explosive and quick player. He's a guy our fans will be excited to watch for years to come."

Brown, at 6-10, is the tallest recruit for the Dogs this season. He played the last two seasons at Barstow College and was ranked as one of the Top 100 JUCO players in the nation. He twice earned first-team All-Foothills Conference and was the two-time MVP for Barstow. This past season he averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds and two blocks per game. As a freshman he averaged a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y, Brown was heavily recruited out of Laurinburg Institute, getting attention from Miami (Fla.), Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Pittsburgh, North Carolina State and West Virginia. He signed with OSU out of high school but never enrolled, instead headed to Barstow.

"Daquan is a talented guy," said Terry. "He's got a lot of skills and tools that we can develop. He adds length to our roster. He's got long arms and can create problems on the defensive end of the floor. He's athletic and fluid and runs the floor like a small forward. He can create problems for defenses."

McGaughey, a 6-5 wing, comes to Fresno State from Lawson State Community College in Alabama where he led his team to a 25-6 record last season and earned first-team NCJAA All-America honors.
He was selected the Player of the Year for Region XXII and was twice named the first-team all-conference. He averaged 16 points, five rebounds and three assists as a sophomore. During his freshman season he averaged 20 points with four rebounds and two assists. One of his best outings of the season was 24 points, 12 rebounds, two assists and two steals against Faulkner State. He finished the game making 11-of-15 field goal attempts, including 3-of-5 from three point range. He scored a career-high of 34 points against Wallace State-Selma as a freshman.

He was ranked as the 35th best player in the nation by JucoJunction. McGaughey played at Booker T. Washington High School in Memphis, Tenn., and was recruited by Seton Hall, UTEP, South Alabama and Troy.

"Larry is a guy who has been a proven scorer at the junior college level," said Terry. "He also is a good defender. He's a glue guy who will do whatever it takes for the team to win."

In addition, Terry announced today Kevin Foster, a 6-8 post player from College of Central Florida, will be a Bulldog. Foster signed with Fresno State on Nov. 23 under then head coach Steve Cleveland.

Foster was named third-team NJCAA All-American and the Mid-Florida Conference Player of the Year after averaging 17 points and eight rebounds per game this past season. He was the runner-up for the Florida Junior College State Player of the Year. Foster shot 53 percent from the floor and nearly 40 percent from three point range. He led the Patriots to a 25-6 record and league title.

Foster played his freshman season at George Mason where he won conference rookie of the week awards and posted some excellent games against quality opponents. He scored 15 points and had nine rebounds against Georgia Tech and scored a career-high of 22 points against William and Mary. He was a first-team All-State selection as a high school senior in his native Florida and was an honorable mention McDonald's All-American.

"We are very pleased Kevin has maintained his commitment to attend Fresno State," said Terry. "He's a talented and explosive player and comes with a great background as both an accomplished player Division I player in a good basketball league and one of the most dominating junior college players in Florida. He has a very bright future as a Bulldog."
Posted Image

#4 nvspuds

nvspuds

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

If no players leave, Nevada will have 8 players from the current team returning in 2012.

They will have 2 seniors and 6 juniors. 3 guys will be 3 year starters.

At this point they have one commit for 2012.

That leaves 4 scholarships available which we will likely be filled in the fall signing period.

#5 sdsuphilip1

sdsuphilip1

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

I have seen Bilbrew play he is no doubt a PAC 10 level athlete, the problem is he is 6'2 and doesn't really have PG skills, also his outside shot is bad for a guard.

#6 bigd

bigd

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

Nevada should be pretty dang good in 2012-2013. The only current players we'll lose from that team are Dario Hunt and Olek Czyz(which are major losses, but Panzer and Elliot both have very high ceilings as replacements). Here's what our roster will look like(keep in mind we were stocked with freshman last year and had an incredibly young team, so these are definitely just projections and a lot can change):

C-Devonte Elliot-JR(a long, athletic big, JaVale McGee minus a few inches, could be a star)
PF-Kevin Panzer-JR(hard to say how he'll turn out, could be the next Fazekas or David Ellis, really turned the corner towards the end of the year).
SF-Jerry Evans-JR(an athletic wing with a high ceiling, should be very good by his jr year)
SG-Malik Story-SR(transfer from Indiana, I expect him to take a big jump this year, a great shooter and scorer but definitely a liability on defense.)
PG-Deonte Burton-JR(as long as he doesn't leave for the NBA he will be an absolute stud, WAC freshman of the year and future pro)

SF-Jordan Burris-JR(could easily replace Evans or Story as starter, a bulky wing could be a beast depending on how he develops.
PG/SG-Jordan Finn-JR(a solid backup guard, hard to say how he develops)
SG-Patrick Nyeko-SR(hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself but very athletic and raw, great defender)
PF-Raphael Carter-SR(currently at a JC, hard to predict)

Next year is a big year for Carter. I think most Pack fans are expecting to be at least a tourney worthy team this year, and the year after should be at least as good. If Carter under performs this year he will definitely be on the hot seat. Last year we were just loaded with freshman and I expect us to take an enormous leap forward and win the WAC this year.

#7 bornsilverandblue

bornsilverandblue

Board Grammar Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

Just Derrell Conner (backup PG) and Marko Cukic (backup PF). Cukic leaving was honestly a good thing for us, and Conner leaving hurts only insofar as he provided halfway decent minutes off the bench towards the end of the year.
Posted Image

#8 RebelsRun

RebelsRun

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:42 AM

UNR will continue to be garbage until they get a coach. Carter was, and is, a very good recruiter. But he should have spent a few more years learning to coach.

He had two guys go straight from their first round NIT loss to the NBA. Two NBA players should equal an NCAA birth in most any conference, should have guaranteed one in the weak WAC.

UNR had its best run ever for four years, but that ended in 2007. The last four seasons then have lost in the first round of the CBI twice, the first round of the NIT once, and didn't make any tourney last year.

And you don't think the WAC is weak? UNR went something like 4-11 in OOC, but 8-8 in the WAC. Yeah, their young guys got some experience, but that's a drastic swing. UNR will never add anything to the MWC in basketball, assuming they will even be D-I by the start of 2012, they are losing so much money it may not be possible to sustain D-I sports.

#9 bornsilverandblue

bornsilverandblue

Board Grammar Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

UNR will continue to be garbage until they get a coach. Carter was, and is, a very good recruiter. But he should have spent a few more years learning to coach.

He had two guys go straight from their first round NIT loss to the NBA. Two NBA players should equal an NCAA birth in most any conference, should have guaranteed one in the weak WAC.

UNR had its best run ever for four years, but that ended in 2007. The last four seasons then have lost in the first round of the CBI twice, the first round of the NIT once, and didn't make any tourney last year.

And you don't think the WAC is weak? UNR went something like 4-11 in OOC, but 8-8 in the WAC. Yeah, their young guys got some experience, but that's a drastic swing. UNR will never add anything to the MWC in basketball, assuming they will even be D-I by the start of 2012, they are losing so much money it may not be possible to sustain D-I sports.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 BulldogBBJ2

BulldogBBJ2

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

The other Dogs fan posted a gobulldogs.com article about signees this year, who of course will still be around for the 2012-13 season. In addition, combo guard Kevin Olekaibe (36 ppg out of some Vegas area HS) will be a junior that year, 2-spot Garrett Johnson will be a senior. Presently, we are hurting for bigs and I fully expect after Huddleston's transfer from UOP, Coach Terry's next two (at least) signees will be quality 4's or 5's who can defend and run the floor. Without that, we're looking at smurfball, probably a three guard offense requiring a lot of dribble penetration.

In the last two months, we have lost six players (one to the draft -- Greg Smith -- and the other five left because of Terry's system or for other reasons) and they happened to be the six heaviest on the squad, ranging from 210 lbs. to 270 lbs. The heaviest player returning from last year's roster has a roster weight of 205. One of this year's signees (Daquan Brown of Barstow College) has roster numbers of 6'-10" and 214 lbs. We're a bit thin and wiry at this point.

Phillip, you mentioned Bilbrew's outside shot; I have no reason to disbelieve you other than that he shot over 40% from the arc last year. I have never seen him play in person but I saw a YouTube vid of him and his shooting stroke is not ideal. He keeps his off-hand on the ball too far into the shooting motion; he almost appears to be shooting with two hands rather than using the off-hand merely to balance the ball on his shooting hand.

#11 bigd

bigd

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Completely disagree man. Did you feel the same way about Fox? Because Fox also had 2 NBA players for 2 years and he never even made the NIT. In 2008 he had JaVale McGee and Armon Johnson, and in 2009 he had Babbitt and Johnson and we lost in the first round of the CBI both times.

Last year we did terrible in OOC, because we returned one starter who averaged like 4ppg the past year and started 4 newcomers. It takes time to gel. Also we didn't get Czyz a Duke transfer until conference play.

Nevada should be a tourney team this year, and could be even better in our first year in the MWC.

#12 NevadaFan

NevadaFan

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

Signed,

Fan of a team that just hired dork who used to sit on end of UNLV's bench.

#13 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Signed,

Fan of a team that just hired dork who used to sit on end of UNLV's bench.

Signed,

Some one who thinks actual basketball skills mean anything in regards to coaching.

But if you take a look at UNLVs coaching staff you will find some one who is better then anyone that has ever played for UNR since you seem to think that is important.

#14 NevadaFan

NevadaFan

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Signed,

Some one who thinks actual basketball skills mean anything in regards to coaching.

But if you take a look at UNLVs coaching staff you will find some one who is better then anyone that has ever played for UNR since you seem to think that is important.

No, what I do find ironic is a Rebel fan talking smack when said dork hasn't coached a D1 game (or any game for that matter?) in his life.

#15 Aslowhiteguy

Aslowhiteguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

No, what I do find ironic is a Rebel fan talking smack when said dork hasn't coached a D1 game (or any game for that matter?) in his life.

and it's not like the guy had a bunch of other schools beating down his door to get him to coach their team.

their final choices came down to two coaches that no one else wanted. maybe it will work out for them, but it's a bit early to be talking smack.

#16 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

and it's not like the guy had a bunch of other schools beating down his door to get him to coach their team.

their final choices came down to two coaches that no one else wanted. maybe it will work out for them, but it's a bit early to be talking smack.

LOL ... 2 of final 3 choices made it there because they were former rebels. UNLV is easily the best coaching job for bball in the MWC so your lil smack talk there is just straight dumb.

oh btw how many schools were beating down the door to hire Fisher?

#17 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

We will revisit this after our teams play this year...we will see what the "dork" can do then.

#18 BulldogBBJ2

BulldogBBJ2

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Nice hijack.

#19 NevadaFan

NevadaFan

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

LOL ... 2 of final 3 choices made it there because they were former rebels. UNLV is easily the best coaching job for bball in the MWC so your lil smack talk there is just straight dumb.

Yes. Please list all the amazing hires that UNLV has made since the Cheater departed...

crickets... crickets.

#20 Aslowhiteguy

Aslowhiteguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

i'm sure you think so, but can you back that up with any factual evidence, such as salary?

i'd put SDSU ahead of vegas at this point in time. at least in terms of where the program is right now and its potential to maintain and even improve its current pos'n.

also, i don't think very many people outside of vegas would think you got an upgrade over kruger. perhaps rice will prove that he is better, but it will take some time. and no one knows how long augmon will be willing to play second fiddle. there's much that needs to be proven and only time will tell.

believe it or not, i do hope rice works out for you guys. it's hard not to root for a guy like him.

#21 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

Yes. Please list all the amazing hires that UNLV has made since the Cheater departed...

crickets... crickets.

Only a coach who still had as much success in 7 years at UNLV as UNR has had in its entire history.

UNR NCAA record all time.. 4 wins 6 losses WOW impressive.

sorry for the hijack

#22 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

i'm sure you think so, but can you back that up with any factual evidence, such as salary?

i'd put SDSU ahead of vegas at this point in time. at least in terms of where the program is right now and its potential to maintain and even improve its current pos'n.

also, i don't think very many people outside of vegas would think you got an upgrade over kruger. perhaps rice will prove that he is better, but it will take some time. and no one knows how long augmon will be willing to play second fiddle. there's much that needs to be proven and only time will tell.

believe it or not, i do hope rice works out for you guys. it's hard not to root for a guy like him.

I love what SDSU is doing in basketball but to be honest a few years of success doesn't put you on same level as UNLV basketball nationally. Just about any article you read ranking bball programs nationally still has UNLV in top 20.

I believe Kruger was highest paid coach in MWC. Obviously we got the home team discount with Rice since this was his dream job and he didn't have any HC experience. But our assistants are among the highest paid, Augmon is getting 225k and Hutson is right below 200k I believe.

In few months on the job Rice has made more progress recruiting then Kruger did his whole time here...but like you said only time will tell with what happens on the court. But I am sure folks in San Diego hated to see Kruger leave since fisher outcoached/outrecruited him.

#23 Aslowhiteguy

Aslowhiteguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

I love what SDSU is doing in basketball but to be honest a few years of success doesn't put you on same level as UNLV basketball nationally. Just about any article you read ranking bball programs nationally still has UNLV in top 20.

I believe Kruger was highest paid coach in MWC. Obviously we got the home team discount with Rice since this was his dream job and he didn't have any HC experience. But our assistants are among the highest paid, Augmon is getting 225k and Hutson is right below 200k I believe.

In few months on the job Rice has made more progress recruiting then Kruger did his whole time here...but like you said only time will tell with what happens on the court. But I am sure folks in San Diego hated to see Kruger leave since fisher outcoached/outrecruited him.

whatever happened with gurg coming in to help?

#24 NevadaFan

NevadaFan

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

Only a coach who still had as much success in 7 years at UNLV as UNR has had in its entire history.

UNR NCAA record all time.. 4 wins 6 losses WOW impressive.

sorry for the hijack

Those 4 NCAA wins are more than the Rebels have mustered since Cheater was shown the door TWO decades ago.

You're not sorry for the hijack. LOL. Sure you are.

#25 montana_cougar

montana_cougar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

Actually Rice has quite a bit more experience there than you think, something with the HC getting pancreatic cancer...