Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Versus to be Re-Branded as NBC Sports

I'm not holding my breath but I'd love to see CSU Fresneck/SDSU, BSU/UNR, UW/CSU, etc... on NBC.

Those would be nice. Another possibility is big OOC games that the mtn owns the rights to. If either team ever gets worth a crap, that would be a nice venue for the Rocky Mountain Showdown.

Those would be nice. Another possibility is big OOC games that the mtn owns the rights to. If either team ever gets worth a crap, that would be a nice venue for the Rocky Mountain Showdown.

Oh, I forgot about the OOC games. Those will definitely be good if NBC owns the rights. MWC team vs SEC or Big East...etc. (Which for now would be BSU vs ?, hopefully other teams will start getting up in the ranks to have a bit more equity for exposure and sense of conference strength.

Who bought who out? I think Comcast bought NBC. Comcast owns 51% of the mtn. and CBS College Sports owns 49%.

Comcast bought out the original owners of the mtn., I think it was a group of investors. The investors sold a minority part of their share to CBS College Sports, and then later on Comcast bought out the investors. I hope my memory serves me.

Comcast Sportsnet, which is now owned by NBCUniversal, LLC, owns 50% of the Mtn., not 51%. CBS College Sports Network (which was CSTV when the contract was negotiated) also owns 50%, not 49%. Neither party has majority control. The Mountain West's original media deal was with CSTV, who was then later purchased by CBS and re-branded as CBS College Sports Network. Comcast Sportsnet was brought into the media deal later and became partial owner of the Mtn. along with CBS College Sports. Comcast Sportsnet runs the production aspects of the channel. The only reason that games are on Versus is because Comcast owns the channel. The Mountain West's primary media deal is with CBS College Sports, not Comcast.

Comcast Sportsnet, which is now owned by NBCUniversal, LLC, owns 50% of the Mtn., not 51%. CBS College Sports Network (which was CSTV when the contract was negotiated) also owns 50%, not 49%. Neither party has majority control. The Mountain West's original media deal was with CSTV, who was then later purchased by CBS and re-branded as CBS College Sports Network. Comcast Sportsnet was brought into the media deal later and became partial owner of the Mtn. along with CBS College Sports. Comcast Sportsnet runs the production aspects of the channel. The only reason that games are on Versus is because Comcast owns the channel. The Mountain West's primary media deal is with CBS College Sports, not Comcast.

I thought VERSUS was used because some OOC opponents would not play MWC opponents if the game would be televised by the mtn. PAC 10 schools wanted to play before 70 million instead of a hundred thousand. VERSUS apparently had the right circulation.

I hate to try and shine the cold light of reality but I think people are being way to optimistic. It would appear that CBS has had the rights to show MWC games since the contract started but finally, in 2011, are we getting the first game on CBS -- and a basketball game at that. So why will NBC suddenly be willing to show MWC games when CBS hasn't been willing to. We know that when the contract was started, ESPN had no interest in putting MWC games on ABC, rather they were looking largely to show games on weeknights. While I think the conference is considered better now and, very possibly, ABC would have picked up the TCU-Utah game last year, I just don't see where ESPN would have shown many MWC games on ABC had they owned the rights. As such, I can't see NBC really wanting to show much in the way of MWC games.

And this is not even considering the idea that CBS apparently controls the rights to the games, as it has been stated that Versus has to buy the games it wants from CBSCS. I have a hard time seeing CBS give up the rights to a game for NBC to broadcast, at least not without wanting to charge more for the game than NBC would be willing to pay.

While we can hope I'm wrong, I really just don't see NBC suddenly having an interest in MWC games.

I hate to try and shine the cold light of reality but I think people are being way to optimistic. It would appear that CBS has had the rights to show MWC games since the contract started but finally, in 2011, are we getting the first game on CBS -- and a basketball game at that. So why will NBC suddenly be willing to show MWC games when CBS hasn't been willing to. We know that when the contract was started, ESPN had no interest in putting MWC games on ABC, rather they were looking largely to show games on weeknights. While I think the conference is considered better now and, very possibly, ABC would have picked up the TCU-Utah game last year, I just don't see where ESPN would have shown many MWC games on ABC had they owned the rights. As such, I can't see NBC really wanting to show much in the way of MWC games.

And this is not even considering the idea that CBS apparently controls the rights to the games, as it has been stated that Versus has to buy the games it wants from CBSCS. I have a hard time seeing CBS give up the rights to a game for NBC to broadcast, at least not without wanting to charge more for the game than NBC would be willing to pay.

While we can hope I'm wrong, I really just don't see NBC suddenly having an interest in MWC games.

I think the difference is, besides Notre Dame football, what else does NBC have as far as sports to show on Saturday afternoons? Extreme sports? We would be cheap content for them to show on what I would assume for them is a ratings black hole.

I think the difference is, besides Notre Dame football, what else does NBC have as far as sports to show on Saturday afternoons? Extreme sports? We would be cheap content for them to show on what I would assume for them is a ratings black hole.

Yep, CBS had the choice of the SEC versus MWC to show---SEC wins the ratings hands down.

NBC has Notre Dame, and that is it.

I don't know if it would be a weekly event, but I could definitely see some of the bigger MWC games both in and out of conference being shown before or after the Notre Dame game.

Guest #1Stunner

The Mtn channel will get there at some point. Now that it is getting into more areas of coverage around the US, more national advertisers will come. Granted it won't command a higher price compared to the Big 10 but it'll get some additional revenue.

I don't see the MTN Channel ever becoming any more than a regional sports channel.....NOT a national channel. The MTN Channel is not going to expand to markets all across the country I also don't see the MTN channel ever being all that profitable.

Case in point, I never watch the Big 10 channel because I am not a fan of Big 10 teams. I think the same logic applies for the MTN channel---I doubt that Big 10, Pac10, Big 12, Big East, SEC fans are going out of their way to first find, and then watch games on the MTN channel. The only people who are going to watch the MTN are fans of the Mountain West Conference teams (MTN channel is already available in those states).

The reason the Big 10 channel can be so successful and profitable is because the Big 10 states have a much higher population base and are the main teams of their states. The Mountain West states, from a population standpoint, simply cannot compete....

Maybe NBC will use MWC games as filler as opposed to Saturday afternoon infomercials (big dollars wouldn't make them pursue that course).

NBC Sports (Versus) if it can sign other major sports (NBA, NHL, MLB) might make NBC Sports a viable competitor to ESPN. Games on an easily found, national network (ESPN, ESPN2, CBS, NBC) can attract casual viewers.

Depends on what other contracts NBC might be able to get. People here have talked about them getting the Big East, not to mention I'm sure if they would bid on the PAC-12 contract. Beyond that, whatever NBC shows would need to be able to compete with the SEC game on CBS and whatever game is on ABC (not to mention the games on the various ESPN channels). I just can't see NBC paying the money to CBS that might be necessary when ESPN likely would have chosen to air that same game on a weeknight.

Now sure, they might if it were a "big game" and Notre Dame wasn't playing at home that week (which ND does about 8 times a year) but outside of a Boise State v. TCU match up I can't think of many games that would attract a national audience when competing against SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12 games. And before someone claims some OOC game: when is the next time a ranked MWC team will play at home against an OOC opponent that would draw national interest? Boise State's best home games in the next 5 years appear to be BYU and Washington. SDSU seems to have a game against Oregon State three seasons from now. There seem to be zero big name games being played at MWC stadiums in the next few years, at least that are currently scheduled.

Depends on what other contracts NBC might be able to get. People here have talked about them getting the Big East, not to mention I'm sure if they would bid on the PAC-12 contract. Beyond that, whatever NBC shows would need to be able to compete with the SEC game on CBS and whatever game is on ABC (not to mention the games on the various ESPN channels). I just can't see NBC paying the money to CBS that might be necessary when ESPN likely would have chosen to air that same game on a weeknight.

Now sure, they might if it were a "big game" and Notre Dame wasn't playing at home that week (which ND does about 8 times a year) but outside of a Boise State v. TCU match up I can't think of many games that would attract a national audience when competing against SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12 games. And before someone claims some OOC game: when is the next time a ranked MWC team will play at home against an OOC opponent that would draw national interest? Boise State's best home games in the next 5 years appear to be BYU and Washington. SDSU seems to have a game against Oregon State three seasons from now. There seem to be zero big name games being played at MWC stadiums in the next few years, at least that are currently scheduled.

2011 mwc home slate is very weak other than Wyo/nebraska. Several Schools have not filled out the 2012 schedule yet so I look for that to uptrend. I am not saying any of these schools will be ranked when they host these teams but the opportunities are there after 2011.

2013 is a very exciting schedule that you seemed to have overlooked. MWC has home games with USC, Notre Dame, Oregon, Arizona, Rutgers, and Oregon State

2013, 2014, and 2015 games look very exciting and the conference recovers from this expansion mess and hits its stride. Looks like there will be at least 5 - 7 attractive OOC games a year where the MWC will host solid AQ schools and their schedules still have plenty of holes to fill ahead. I left off the games with Washington State which travels to several MWC stadiums over the next few years:)

Wyoming Hosts Nebraska

CSU hosts CU

2012:

New Mexico Hosts Texas Tech

UNLV Hosts Minnesota

Fresno Hosts Colorado

Hawaii Hosts USC

NEvada Hosts Oregon

Fresno Hosts Rutgers

Air Force hosts Notre Dame

SDSU Hosts Oregon State

UNLV hosts Arizona

CSU hosts CU

Fresno hosts Nebraska

Hawaii Hosts Washington

Hawaii Hosts Oregon State

Boise State Hosts Ole Miss

New Mexico Hosts Arizona State

Air force Hosts Oklahoma State

Boise Hosts Washington

CSU hosts Minnesota

CSU hosts CU

UNLV hosts UCLA

Wyoming Hosts Oregon

I am not sure which years CU and CSU alternate the hosting so that could flip years.

Source:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/mtn-west/wyoming-cowboys.php

I don't see the MTN Channel ever becoming any more than a regional sports channel.....NOT a national channel. The MTN Channel is not going to expand to markets all across the country I also don't see the MTN channel ever being all that profitable.

Case in point, I never watch the Big 10 channel because I am not a fan of Big 10 teams. I think the same logic applies for the MTN channel---I doubt that Big 10, Pac10, Big 12, Big East, SEC fans are going out of their way to first find, and then watch games on the MTN channel. The only people who are going to watch the MTN are fans of the Mountain West Conference teams (MTN channel is already available in those states).

The reason the Big 10 channel can be so successful and profitable is because the Big 10 states have a much higher population base and are the main teams of their states. The Mountain West states, from a population standpoint, simply cannot compete....

Maybe NBC will use MWC games as filler as opposed to Saturday afternoon infomercials (big dollars wouldn't make them pursue that course).

NBC Sports (Versus) if it can sign other major sports (NBA, NHL, MLB) might make NBC Sports a viable competitor to ESPN. Games on an easily found, national network (ESPN, ESPN2, CBS, NBC) can attract casual viewers.

Case in point - the biggest reason you and I don't watch the BTN is they have games like Indiana vs Purdue - games that don't warrant being on nat'l tv. OSU vs Mich is not on the BTN. However the Mtn - BSU vs TCU might be on the Mtn, AF vs SDSU, etc. So in actuality - the Mtn has more to offer than the BTN would, as far as the bigger games go.

You are like montana reb. He thinks that everything stays the same starting now. Or maybe you and montana reb think population will grow everywhere else except within the MWC footprint. I

I predict that several years down the road after Comcast-NBCUniversal has bought out CBS College Sport's interest in the Mtn (and it's contract with the MWC), the Mtn will then be re-branded as NBCSports2. There, it will join the already successful NBCSports (Versus) and NBCGolf (Golf Channel) in an ESPN-like family of sports networks.

Using the national appeal of the NBCSports brand, Comcast-NBCUniversal will then be able to gain much wider distribution for the newly re-branded channel. Because the MWC holds no ownership interest in the Mtn, the conference will only remain on NBCSports2 if Comcast-NBCUniversal decides to honor the most recent contract the conference had with the Mtn.

If they do, Comcast-NBC gets to broadcast MWC sports on the (relatively)cheap for the remaining duration of the contract. If they don't, we are back at a bargaining table crowded with competition from FOX, CBS, ABC/ESPN, and ComcastNBC. If the product on the field keeps getting stronger, we would do quite well in a scenario like that.

Alright, I'm gonna go load up the bong again.

Cheers.

Add "Hawaii hosts Navy" to the 2015 MWC home lineup (just announced today).

I think NBC has to be considering making a serious run at the Big East, which is signed with ESPN for football coverage through 2014. Other than the Pac12 which is now entertaining offers, every other AQ conference has its football TV rights locked up by ESPN until at least 2016. Assuming NBC doesn't land the Pac12 and wants college football content beyond Notre Dame (and whatever MWC games CSTV passes on), the Big East is its only option. I suspect that's why reports are emerging that ESPN is already talking to the Big East about repricing and extending their current deal; ESPN wants to forestall NBC from getting in on the action.

2011 mwc home slate is very weak other than Wyo/nebraska. Several Schools have not filled out the 2012 schedule yet so I look for that to uptrend. I am not saying any of these schools will be ranked when they host these teams but the opportunities are there after 2011.

2013 is a very exciting schedule that you seemed to have overlooked. MWC has home games with USC, Notre Dame, Oregon, Arizona, Rutgers, and Oregon State

2013, 2014, and 2015 games look very exciting and the conference recovers from this expansion mess and hits its stride. Looks like there will be at least 5 - 7 attractive OOC games a year where the MWC will host solid AQ schools and their schedules still have plenty of holes to fill ahead. I left off the games with Washington State which travels to several MWC stadiums over the next few years:)

Wyoming Hosts Nebraska

CSU hosts CU

2012:

New Mexico Hosts Texas Tech

UNLV Hosts Minnesota

Fresno Hosts Colorado

Hawaii Hosts USC

NEvada Hosts Oregon

Fresno Hosts Rutgers

Air Force hosts Notre Dame

SDSU Hosts Oregon State

UNLV hosts Arizona

CSU hosts CU

Fresno hosts Nebraska

Hawaii Hosts Washington

Hawaii Hosts Oregon State

Boise State Hosts Ole Miss

New Mexico Hosts Arizona State

Air force Hosts Oklahoma State

Boise Hosts Washington

CSU hosts Minnesota

CSU hosts CU

UNLV hosts UCLA

Wyoming Hosts Oregon

I am not sure which years CU and CSU alternate the hosting so that could flip years.

Source:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/mtn-west/wyoming-cowboys.php

The problem with most of those games is they have a lower level team from an AQ conference, as often as not playing a lower level MWC team. Teams like Minnesota and Colorado don't play on one of the national networks even when they play teams like Ohio State or Texas, there is no way NBC would want those games when they are playing CSU or UNLV (at least, not while they remain toward the bottom of the MWC). Wyoming v. Nebraska would likely get on CBSCS or Versus, much like when they played Texas; but again, NBC isn't going to put a presumed blow out of Wyoming on against a good SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and/or PAC-12 match up. There is also the problem of many of the games being seen as only having "regional interest" since they involve two teams from the same or neighboring states, with neither team having a strong national following.

While there might be some interest in the Hawaii games, the problem is the games would likely have to start at 10 a.m. Hawaii time to be on network television. Because of the time problem, those games are likely to be on CBSCS or Versus as their "late" game.

Which leaves the Nevada v. Oregon game, and that likely depends on how Nevada plays at Oregon next year; Air Force's game with Notre Dame, and possibly with Oklahoma State; and Fresno's games, though Fresno would likely have to improve and become ranked for a network to really be interested. And for the Boise vs. Washington game, much depends on if Washington can really turn things around -- they won't even have Locker as an interest story next year. As for Boise and Ole Miss, problem is that is an ESPN game to be played (from what I recall) in Atlanta, so it will not be covered under the MWC contract. In essence, there is unlikely to be more than about one game a year that would really be attractive to a national audience, to a network.

They sold the rights so they wouldn't have to pay any startup costs.

Looks like you, SGF, and whoever else left, can come back to the nest now. I had a feeling that this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

Looks like you, SGF, and whoever else left, can come back to the nest now. I had a feeling that this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I just re-registered on AztecMesa. The last month has been insanity there. (Well, maybe not if you're a six-year-old.) And I'm not just referring to you know who since there were plenty of other immature dumbasses egging him on. Just totally embarrassing to all of us to have been subjected to it and after the alleged - but probably real - complaint made apparently about a member of the football team, I can only imagine what damage has been done to that board in the eyes of the coaching staff. Makes me want to phucking scream, frankly.

Boom goes the dynamite.