Photo

Utah State President Defends His Actions As Criticism Mounts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 RebelRobert

RebelRobert

New Conference Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

http://www.sltrib.co...no-byu.html.csp

Utah State President Defends His Actions As Criticism Mounts

By tony jones
The Salt Lake Tribune
Aug 26, 2010 01:02PM

Stan Albrecht has heard the whispers, absorbed the criticism.

As Utah Stateís president, heís listened to complaints that somehow he didnít make USU his top priority when Brigham Young struck a deal with the Western Athletic Conference to place its menís basketball and non-revenue athletic programs in the WAC while pursuing football independence. That, in declining an invitation from the Mountain West last week, he may have consigned Aggies athletics to future irrelevance.

Albrecht was one of the key figures in negotiating an Aug. 13 agreement that bound BYU and six other WAC members to a $5 million buout penalty if they were to leave the league ó only to see Nevada and Fresno State do just that in departing for the Mountain West and putting the WAC in peril.

Albrecht has experienced a gauntlet of emotions in the wake of those events. Hurt, disappointment, concern for the future. You name it.

But he says he wants USU students, faculty and fans to know one thing: the university will always come first.

ďIíve received a lot of criticism on this issue,Ē Albrecht told The Salt Lake Tribune Thursday morning.

ďBut if we make this happen, weíve secured a very good place for Utah State, and we believe that expansion would have followed. We knew the risks, but we thought we had to go forward and take those risks. Before last week, I thought I knew what a binding agreement meant. Now I donít know what it means anymore.Ē

In other words, Albrecht thought the WAC had an virtually iron-clad deal to put BYU together with Fresno, Nevada, Idaho, San Jose State, Utah State and New Mexico State (Boise State and Fresno State) in a re-jiggered league.

Read the rest of this article about how stupid Utah State is here: http://www.sltrib.co...no-byu.html.csp

#2 JPCWBYS

JPCWBYS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hey, I'll defend his actions too. I couldn't be happier that USU decided to stay in the WAC...I just wanna know what CT was thinking inviting a school that brings nothing to this conference.
Posted Image

#3 BroncoFan78

BroncoFan78

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Pretty sure that right there is concrete evidence that the MWC acted to protect itself from further losses when this deal almost went down.

#4 Steve

Steve

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Tough lesson learned about the current landscape of college athletics. It is definitely a me first environment.

#5 Joe Utah

Joe Utah

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

I am pretty sure it relates to BYU's connection with USU.

And it also probably stem from the fact that COMCAST makes more money off of Utah subscribers than they do from any other team or market.

#6 SleepingGiantsFan

SleepingGiantsFan

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

I continue to check USU's board every couple days and in so doing, continue to be amazed that there is absolutely nobody there who has questioned the prez. As I said the other day, if SDSU was in USU's place, I guarantee people would be coming out of the woodwork to question whether the guy actually rejected an offer to join the MWC and if he didn't, why he said he did, and if he did, why he reportedly did so without first confirming from Fresno State and UNR that they were similarly going to decline such an offer.

In my opinion, the whole thing just doesn't pass the smell test. Maybe USU fans have just been holding their noses and hoping for the best. If so, they just might want to check the poll here to discover how badly MWC fans want them in our conference.
Boom goes the dynamite.

#7 aztech

aztech

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hey, I'll defend his actions too. I couldn't be happier that USU decided to stay in the WAC...I just wanna know what CT was thinking inviting a school that brings nothing to this conference.

I think it's our current TV contract, as bad as it is. Without a Utah team in place it's null and void. I think a renegotiated contract without Utah/BYU would be ESPN type money, minimal. If BYU went independent as they wanted to a few years ago and we still had Utah, no worries. So it's by default BYU has importance now, although they think it's always been about them.

If the MWC was dealing in a position of strength we would have a new contract even without a team in Utah. I'd sure like to know what kind of dealings are going on, if they are. It seems strangely quiet all of a sudden.

#8 Celeritas

Celeritas

Random Noise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

High roads pay off sooner or later. He's won my admiration.
Go Cougars

#9 erdaaggie

erdaaggie

Watching the College Landscape Blow Up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

I continue to check USU's board every couple days and in so doing, continue to be amazed that there is absolutely nobody there who has questioned the prez. As I said the other day, if SDSU was in USU's place, I guarantee people would be coming out of the woodwork to question whether the guy actually rejected an offer to join the MWC and if he didn't, why he said he did, and if he did, why he reportedly did so without first confirming from Fresno State and UNR that they were similarly going to decline such an offer.

In my opinion, the whole thing just doesn't pass the smell test. Maybe USU fans have just been holding their noses and hoping for the best. If so, they just might want to check the poll here to discover how badly MWC fans want them in our conference.

Two things.

1. It isn't for fans to decide, so why would anyone care what internet posters think?

2. There are about 25% (as an estimate) of the fans that are pretty upset with him. The rest understand the situation he was in, and can see that a "binding" agreement was made which most thought would have been honored since the ink was still fresh.

My own thought is this. We are in a financial recession that was largely caused by deciet and greed as people tried to get credit for their homes. Being honest has its consequences, as does dishonesty. Honoring contracts and agreements in principle matters, and for that he does have my respect. USU graduates players, disciplines people who cause trouble, and has the highest collective GPA of any WAC school. They do things the right way, and will live with the consequences.

#10 DreadLocksed Lobo

DreadLocksed Lobo

Davie Crazy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

I've had the same opinion since whenever it was they started having playoffs in MLB. TV phux up everything.
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there."

#11 SleepingGiantsFan

SleepingGiantsFan

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

1) It isn't for fans to decide, so why would anyone care what internet posters think?

2) My own thought is this. We are in a financial recession that was largely caused by deciet and greed as people tried to get credit for their homes. Being honest has its consequences, as does dishonesty. Honoring contracts and agreements in principle matters, and for that he does have my respect. USU graduates players, disciplines people who cause trouble, and has the highest collective GPA of any WAC school. They do things the right way, and will live with the consequences.

1) A number of Aztecs said the same thing in October 2008 when even after SDSU's first two losses ever against a DIAA school since SDSU moved up to DIA and even after two blowout losses to SJSU, a school Tom Craft blew out his final season, and even on the heels of the worst loss in school history to UNM our AD announced that Chuck Long would definitely return in 2009. Of course, Aztectalk eventually became part of the campaign that led to Chuck being forced out. About six months later the AD was forced out too.

2) I completely understand that opinion and I do not disagree with it. OTOH, I'm convinced that it's impossible in this day and age to have such complete purity of action and still have a successful DIA football program. I'm so convinced of that I'm pretty sure that if anybody who is a fan of a successful DIA football program tries to argue that their program is clean as the driven snow that they must either be very naive or lying. (And that includes BYU, Italics, if you're still lurking around here.)
Boom goes the dynamite.

#12 av-rated

av-rated

The Bulldog Shiznit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

Maybe it's just semantics...and I haven't really taken the time to research the issue...but has it been acknowledged that USU turned down an actual "offer" or an actual "invite"....as opposed to being "contacted" and "respectfully declin[ing] MWC interest" (per Barnes open letter)?

If yes...no real defense. If no, the defense is "we weren't actually invited." Then procced to generate empathy by claiming USU were merely used like a two-bit whore if an invite never happens...or at least used for intel.

Sure, maybe CT's "contact" and expressed "interest" was a trial balloon before deciding on formally extending an offer to USU. But as I read things (and correct me please if I have missed confirmation of invite) we don't really know what the MWC/CT's motives may have been with USU individually. Perhaps he simply used USU by duping them into revealing how serious BYU was about making the move and/or its imminence.

CT's contact and interest allowed him to gauge the situation...and once a second tier WAC team chose to "decline MWC interest"...CT was able to confirm it's "game on." Hence, he goes after Fresno State and Nevada...the more obvious remaining WAC targets all along. After all, taking USU and not Fresno State and Nevada probably doesn't so diminish the WAC that it scuttles BYU's planned move.

It seems to me that if a true "offer" or "invite" was extended to USU last week in an effort to hold off BYU's departure (as the prevailing theory goes), with BYU still quiet a week later, it stands to reason that an "invite" for that same purpose would have been promptly renewed or remain outstanding.

#13 NevadaFan

NevadaFan

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

Two things.

1. It isn't for fans to decide, so why would anyone care what internet posters think?

2. There are about 25% (as an estimate) of the fans that are pretty upset with him. The rest understand the situation he was in, and can see that a "binding" agreement was made which most thought would have been honored since the ink was still fresh.

My own thought is this. We are in a financial recession that was largely caused by deciet and greed as people tried to get credit for their homes. Being honest has its consequences, as does dishonesty. Honoring contracts and agreements in principle matters, and for that he does have my respect. USU graduates players, disciplines people who cause trouble, and has the highest collective GPA of any WAC school. They do things the right way, and will live with the consequences.

USU was in no position to do anything but side with BYU. They weren't invited to the MWC, nor could they work closely with BYU for months to give them an option for joining the WAC and then pull the plug on a deal they crafted with Benson and BYU.

#14 SleepingGiantsFan

SleepingGiantsFan

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

USU was in no position to do anything but side with BYU. They weren't invited to the MWC

I don't believe they were invited to the MWC either except maybe as an alternative to Fresno or UNR if either declined to join. I also don't believe that even if talks between Hair Thompson and USU are continuing as rumor has it that such talks are anything more than inquiries from USU as to what the MWC thinks USU can do now to better position itself to be asked to join in the future. Of course, the answer is probably a diplomatic response that they should dramatically improve their football program and upgrade what rumor has it are poor facilities.
Boom goes the dynamite.

#15 Guest_ragtimeJOE_*

Guest_ragtimeJOE_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

But remember byu had nothing to do with either the 5 mill buyout or with the idea of wac expansion (at the expense of the MWC0 or anything else. They are just innocent bystanders that were bushwacked by the evil MWC.

#16 Closer

Closer

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

and he fukd over USU in the proccess... The dude is a BYU Alum. He had BYU's interests ahead of his USU's. Maybe BYU gets him a cush job, but if USU is out in the cold after all of this... He will be out of a job and hated in logan. Because he will be the man that destroyed USU athletics.

#17 Hoser

Hoser

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

High road is admirable but it may do irreparable harm to his University. I would like to thank him for taking the high road if in fact Utah St. did reject an invite to the MWC. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
When you come to the end of your rope...tie a knot and hang on.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted Image

#18 socalspud

socalspud

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

I contend USU was NEVER FORMALLY invited ...

they got the old ... if you were invited what would the response likely be ??/

They said NO ... when they should have said we would need a couple days to look at the numbers ...

The immediate no told CT and the MWC all they needed to know ...

USU was merely a puppet and a sounding board ... and they told CT EVERYTHING he needed to know without really saying it ...

Herr T played this beautifully ..

#19 Yoda

Yoda

Official Board Curmudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,874 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

Mine too.

Ethics matter.

Yoda out...

"The religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy.

To retreat from that separation would violate the principles of conservatism."

~ Barry Goldwater

#20 KansasPoke

KansasPoke

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Ethics matter, but they don't get you into the MWC... remember isn't all this stuff suppose to be about business?
Posted Image

#21 Akkula

Akkula

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

Of course, he protected the mothership.
Posted Image

#22 NotalentU

NotalentU

NTU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,237 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Two things.

Coupla things:

1) If anyone didn't "honor the agreement," it was BYU. They had signed onto a MOU saying that they were coming to the WAC. The "binding resolution" was entirely contingent on BYU officially becoming a part-time member of the WAC. They haven't, and likely won't, and because of that, and because of the language in the MOU that the SL Trib obtained, it looks like Fresno St. and Nevada are off the hook for their exit fee. No BYU signature on the dotted line, no exit fee.

2) Even if the exit fee is determined to be binding, Fresno St. and Nevada have still adhered to the letter of the MOU. They will fork over the necessary $$$. As such they will have honored the "binding agreement."

They have to do what's in the best interests of their universities, and that means joining the MWC. If anyone's to blame for this mess, it's BYU. They're the ones whose selfishness set off this chain of events. If not for their actions, we would not be discussing this.
"Once an Aztec, Always an Aztec"

CSU Fresno: Accepting SDSU's sloppy seconds since 1911.

#23 Kalifi

Kalifi

I can laugh at myself...and you.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

and he fukd over USU in the proccess... The dude is a BYU Alum. He had BYU's interests ahead of his USU's. Maybe BYU gets him a cush job, but if USU is out in the cold after all of this... He will be out of a job and hated in logan. Because he will be the man that destroyed USU athletics.

USU athletics has been screwing themselves all by themselves...it is not like Albrecht did anything to worsen it. USU athletics was never anything to be "destroyed" anyways.
Posted Image
Facilities are being upgraded to match the quality of play with the new teams coming into the conference.

#24 sportsfan

sportsfan

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:34 AM

Coupla things:

1) If anyone didn't "honor the agreement," it was BYU. They had signed onto a MOU saying that they were coming to the WAC. The "binding resolution" was entirely contingent on BYU officially becoming a part-time member of the WAC. They haven't, and likely won't, and because of that, and because of the language in the MOU that the SL Trib obtained, it looks like Fresno St. and Nevada are off the hook for their exit fee. No BYU signature on the dotted line, no exit fee.

2) Even if the exit fee is determined to be binding, Fresno St. and Nevada have still adhered to the letter of the MOU. They will fork over the necessary $$$. As such they will have honored the "binding agreement."

They have to do what's in the best interests of their universities, and that means joining the MWC. If anyone's to blame for this mess, it's BYU. They're the ones whose selfishness set off this chain of events. If not for their actions, we would not be discussing this.

I think it's a bit difficult to say Fresno and Nevada honored the agreement when Item #4 of the agreement read: "The WAC and its members and BYU, agree that all current members of the WAC (except Louisiana Tech and Boise State, which has already given notice of its withdrawal) will not join any other conference or athletic conference from the date of adoption of this resolution through June 30, 2016, contingent upon BYU agreeing that it will not join any other conference or athletic conference from the date of entering a contract with the WAC through June 30, 2016."

Yes, thee was a penalty clause, but the agreement was to stay in the conference. The contract was valid as soon as it was approved that day by vote.

#25 Frog Barrister

Frog Barrister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

Utah state made a big mistake with this one. It couldve been them instead of Reno. I just don't think this conference can afford to have both. It's probably back to the sunbelt for them and Idaho and nmsu. Maybe they can shock us and entice utep back. I'd be suprised if sjsu survives this one. Hawaii should go Indy which will be a step up for them. Byu should just put them on the annual ooc. Hawaii could probably use them on the schedule too.

2005, 2009, 2010 & 2011 MWC Football Champions