Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

MWC Basketball Recruiting 2014-15

for the lobos...

SL III @Sammy2timesss 7m

Committed to the university of New Mexico #Lobos #loboland

Really no surprise.

You don't hire the kid's prep coach (Huss) and bring Logwood in for

a visit...and not get a commitment. 

This was the news I was hoping to hear tonight.

Congrats Coach Neal.

Really no surprise.

You don't hire the kid's prep coach (Huss) and bring Logwood in for

a visit...and not get a commitment. 

This was the news I was hoping to hear tonight.

Congrats Coach Neal.

yeah, nobody saw that coming, lol.

Logwood is a good addition to the Lobos, with Tohira Smith-Milner 6-9 PF from New Zealand player not qualifying it opened up a spot.  This gives the Lobos 11 scholarship players eligible for 2014-2015 with two transfers (Williams 6-8 PF and Brown 6-4 SG) redshirting for next season.

I thinkk logwood may be lobos best athlete from day one.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Elijah Thomas does not have UNLV as one of his 5 official visitis. No bueno.

I've heard there are concerns with his weight. Dude ballooned up after his injury.

Interesting to see how fast it changes. Word was he was a UNLV lock a few months ago.

All I know is I want Horace Spencer. Dude will be the perfect 4 man in DR's system. Talking about Moser and Roscoe numbers. Dudes got a bigger build than either of them and is only going into his Sr year of HS.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

I've heard there are concerns with his weight. Dude ballooned up after his injury.

Sounds like AB last yr. I don't buy it. We swung and missed. It happens. Kid looked like a man child and I would've loved to have him.

Sounds like AB last yr. I don't buy it. We swung and missed. It happens. Kid looked like a man child and I would've loved to have him.

AB did have weight problems. They were just dealt with.

Don't need to buy something that nobody is trying to sell. It just is what it is.

Misses are Jeter and Trier. Probably Zimm as well.

I'd take 6'9 250-260 ET any day of the week.

6'9 300lb ET...ehh not too many takers.

The old "we didn't want him anyways" rationalization.

I doubt his weight gets brought up if he had UNLV as one of his 5 official visits.

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

Been saying this for months:  among the bigs UNLV has been in contention for, Horace Spencer has always been UNLV's best shot.Jeter and Zimmerman are traitors and are dead to UNLV and Las Vegas. ET was a guy everyone said was a lock, and just drifted away.

UNLV almost lost (and are still at risk) of losing Goodluck Okonobo. He spent some time in Las Vegas, hated the heat and started getting homesick. I hope he sticks around, if things don't go well this season I'd say he would be the next in the continuing onslaught of transfers out of UNLV. UNLV has become a "One and Done" school, but the players don't go to the NBA after 1 year--they just transfer to another school with a competent coaching staff after 1 year.

Something that Dave Rice has had a terrible time understanding, is a coach has to constantly keep recruiting their players.... Even after they commit out of high school or transfer in. With transfers becoming so commonplace, coaches need to reaffirm their players commitment every year. Rice has failed to do that, which is why it's been a revolving door of different players at UNLV the last few years.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

you cant get every 5 star recruit out there, and if the "consolation prize" is getting spencer i am all for it.

spencer will be a beast.

The old "we didn't want him anyways" rationalization.

I doubt his weight gets brought up if he had UNLV as one of his 5 official visits.

My thoughts exactly.

Yeah, because a school moving away from a 5-star recruit is just ridiculous to fathom.

Welcome to big boy recruiting my children.

Been saying this for months:  among the bigs UNLV has been in contention for, Horace Spencer has always been UNLV's best shot.Jeter and Zimmerman are traitors and are dead to UNLV and Las Vegas. ET was a guy everyone said was a lock, and just drifted away.

UNLV almost lost (and are still at risk) of losing Goodluck Okonobo. He spent some time in Las Vegas, hated the heat and started getting homesick. I hope he sticks around, if things don't go well this season I'd say he would be the next in the continuing onslaught of transfers out of UNLV. UNLV has become a "One and Done" school, but the players don't go to the NBA after 1 year--they just transfer to another school with a competent coaching staff after 1 year.

Something that Dave Rice has had a terrible time understanding, is a coach has to constantly keep recruiting their players.... Even after they commit out of high school or transfer in. With transfers becoming so commonplace, coaches need to reaffirm their players commitment every year. Rice has failed to do that, which is why it's been a revolving door of different players at UNLV the last few years.

Goodluck will be back in no time. It wasn't just homesickness and heat. It was multiple things and not all having to do with his summer here. He's not going anywhere.

As for the transfer out I disagree, but could be wrong. HIm and Dwayne Morgan seem to be really close and Vaughn has been as well. This class seems to be much more tight knit.

Terrible understanding? He's already addressed this. The problem is he's a first time coach learning as he's going.

He's already stated multiple times this summer that they need to shift their recruitment basis solely on H.S. while being much more selective in the transfer market.

Why do you think Christian Wood is back? Kendall Smith? Those guys were the first called in the season ending 1 on 1's and recruited to be ready for this next season.

Goodluck will be back in no time. It wasn't just homesickness and heat. It was multiple things and not all having to do with his summer here. He's not going anywhere.

As for the transfer out I disagree, but could be wrong. HIm and Dwayne Morgan seem to be really close and Vaughn has been as well. This class seems to be much more tight knit.

Terrible understanding? He's already addressed this. The problem is he's a first time coach learning as he's going.

He's already stated multiple times this summer that they need to shift their recruitment basis solely on H.S. while being much more selective in the transfer market.

Why do you think Christian Wood is back? Kendall Smith? Those guys were the first called in the season ending 1 on 1's and recruited to be ready for this next season.

I'll buy that Rice has "addressed it" when UNLV can go one full offseason without multiple player and/or coaching defections.--Until then you're just blowing smoke. I get that transfers are commonplace, but the mass exodus from UNLV every year is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of program stability. I'm still dumbfounded that after all the qualified, experienced HCs that wanted the UNLV HC job...a top BB program in the country chose a coach that has to learn on the job.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Yeah, because a school moving away from a 5-star recruit is just ridiculous to fathom.

Welcome to big boy recruiting my children.

LOL.

I'll buy that Rice has "addressed it" when UNLV can go one full offseason without multiple player and/or coaching defections.--Until then you're just blowing smoke. I get that transfers are commonplace, but the mass exodus from UNLV every year is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of program stability. I'm still dumbfounded that after all the qualified, experienced HCs that wanted the UNLV HC job...a top BB program in the country chose a coach that has to learn on the job.

Don't you think Morgan, Vaughn and Goodluck are a little different mold of guys than he's previously recruited? Compared to say Katin Reinhardt, Savon Goodman. Doolin compared to BDJ or  Kendrick.

We'll see if he'll pan out. If it becomes the same old story with no direction in place he won't be here. I just think he's a smart guy and is capable of improving. I think people like you believe that as well, but just can't admit it because you're too bias against it. If he wins it will be the players, if he loses it will be his coaching or his haircut.