Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

OT: Who makes the best burger in your area?

Bassnectar puts on a pretty freakin good show...

I hadn't heard of them, but their show was REALLY good...and I suggest everyone see the Flaming Lips at least once.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

It's like Cali Burritos in the north. They try hard, and the people who haven't had the real thing will swear by it, but it just ain't the same.

I had Carolina pulled pork (what Carolinians simply call BBQ) at Brazen in SD, and I swore it was awesome, until I came to Carolina.

You just can't hold it against em.

Cali burritos are so overrated. People from San Diego just talk up Cali burritos because they originated in San Diego.

Cali burritos are so overrated. People from San Diego just talk up Cali burritos because they originated in San Diego.

I dig em.  Fries instead of rice and beans?  Yes, please. 

I was specific, but realistically a burrito in the North is a Chevy's burrito, at best. 

I dig em. Fries instead of rice and beans? Yes, please.

I was specific, but realistically a burrito in the North is a Chevy's burrito, at best.

SD people just talk them up ssssoooo much that they can't possibly live up to the expectations. When you try it you realize that it's just carne asada fries wrapped up in a tortilla. I mean they are good, but when you try it it's just exactly what you expect it to be. To be honest I think about 80% of taquerias are damn near indistinguishable from each other, and the other 20% are split between really good and really bad ones.

Anyways, Next time you're in SJ try El Paisa on the south side. I have tried a bunch of spots in the San Jose and the monterey/salinas areas and that's definitely the place with the best tasting meat IMO.

SD people just talk them up ssssoooo much that they can't possibly live up to the expectations.

I'd actually pitch fish tacos, or TJ street tacos before a Cali Burrito.   But I would also break the grill out and frick shite up over the fire.  If I were to hype anything in SD, it would actually be a franchise restaurant, Hash House a Go-Go. 

I'd actually pitch fish tacos, or TJ street tacos before a Cali Burrito.   But I would also break the grill out and frick shite up over the fire.  If I were to hype anything in SD, it would actually be a franchise restaurant, Hash House a Go-Go. 

Okay, I know its all opinions but I just lost all faith in yours.  Hash House a Go-Go is pretty average.  Its like they give you those ridiculous portions and put giant garnishes on them just to distract you from how mediocre the food really is.   

I'd actually pitch fish tacos, or TJ street tacos before a Cali Burrito. But I would also break the grill out and frick shite up over the fire. If I were to hype anything in SD, it would actually be a franchise restaurant, Hash House a Go-Go.

Really? Egg and I >> hash house a Go-Go, IMO anyway.

Okay, I know its all opinions but I just lost all faith in yours.  Hash House a Go-Go is pretty average.  Its like they give you those ridiculous portions and put giant garnishes on them just to distract you from how mediocre the food really is.   

Spot-on. The owner is besotted and detached from kitchen ops and really doesn't care. Mediocre is a compliment. Want good comfort food in SD? Try Clayton's on Coronado...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Okay, I know its all opinions but I just lost all faith in yours. Hash House a Go-Go is pretty average. Its like they give you those ridiculous portions and put giant garnishes on them just to distract you from how mediocre the food really is.

I guess Vegas' version sucks. Mine has been good every time I went, and it is different from the normal burger or burrito joints that saturate SD. I guess even a great taco gets old.

But I suppose you are right on my credibility, I also don't care fore In n Out whatsoever, leaving me a heretic to most Californians

I guess Vegas' version sucks. Mine has been good every time I went, and it is different from the normal burger or burrito joints that saturate SD. I guess even a great taco gets old.

But I suppose you are right on my credibility, I also don't care fore In n Out whatsoever, leaving me a heretic to most Californians

I don't think hash house sucks or anything, I just like the egg and I better.

And I kind of agree about in n out. I mean it's a step up from the rest of your fast food places, but almost any burger joint will have a better burger then in n out. But I keep that opinion to myself in casual conversation lol. Whenever in n out is brought up I just give the generic California native line of "yea it's awesome, best place ever", otherwise I get stuck defending myself for 15 minutes.

I dig em. Fries instead of rice and beans? Yes, please.

I highly recommend the Original Flying Burrito in Raleigh. It's the closest I've found to a legit California Burrito out here.

srsly? all you pinchys gringos way over romanticize mexican food. 

you want authentic mexican food? hustle junk to tourists all day, then take what little money you scratched up to la bodega to take something home to mamasita to cook up for supper.

#beentheredonethatgottheponcho

Bodega? Que pendejo...

Mexicans don't even use that term. That's an island beaner term mostly.

you mean like the "island *ers" who first settled california?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodega_Bay,_California

you rat tho, el mercado or super mercado would have been the right way to go, didnt know i was in the company of such esteemed scholars.

You realize that's the surname of the Spaniard that landed there right?

I now dub thee Cousin Pendejo.

Nanataco's and Las Comales in Durham have been my go-to's. I never make it out to Raleigh, but want to.

I went to Nanataco while I was living in Durham before I moved to Cary, it was pretty decent. I've discovered that it's incredibly difficult to get good Mexican food out here, which is disappointing. 

Raleigh has a lot of good food... like the two burger places I mentioned earlier. My faovorite restaurant so far is either The Pit or Sitti, which is a Lebanese place in downtown. 

srsly? all you pinchys gringos way over romanticize mexican food. 

you want authentic mexican food? hustle junk to tourists all day, then take what little money you scratched up to la bodega to take something home to mamasita to cook up for supper.

#beentheredonethatgottheponcho

Wouldn't "authentic mexican (SIC) food" be any food prepared in Mexico, ideally from ingredients grown and processed in Mexico? I mean, if you grind some beef raised in Tamaulipas and shape it into hamburger patties and cook them in Jalisco, then plop them onto some buns from a local bakery in Guad and top them with homemade mayo and ketchup- isn't that "authentic" Mexican food? Serve them up with some fried potatoes from Nayarit cooked in peanut oil from Oaxaca... 

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Bodega? Que pendejo...

Mexicans don't even use that term. That's an island beaner term mostly.

When I read "bodega", I thought NuyoRican or Cuban. It's definitely not a term used by continental Hispanics, unless they're talking about a warehouse. 

Wouldn't "authentic mexican (SIC) food" be any food prepared in Mexico, ideally from ingredients grown and processed in Mexico? I mean, if you grind some beef raised in Tamaulipas and shape it into hamburger patties and cook them in Jalisco, then plop them onto some buns from a local bakery in Guad and top them with homemade mayo and ketchup- isn't that "authentic" Mexican food? Serve them up with some fried potatoes from Nayarit cooked in peanut oil from Oaxaca... 

No. What you're describing sounds more like a gourment style burger, prepared using Mexican ingredients in Mexico.  The origins of the ingredients do not make it authentic. I.E. if we were to travel to Tokyo and have California and Philly sushi rolls prepared with crab and tuna, respectively,  caught out of the Japanese coast, I'm sure they would consider that an American dish and not authentic.