Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Opinions: Should the MWC try to add a new Bowl Game in SAN FRAN?

Opinions: Should the MWC try to replace a current bowl game tie with a new one in SAN FRAN?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the MWC should dump the Potato Bowl and add a new Bowl Game in San Francisco? Would it be worth it?

• YES. I like the idea of putting a Bowl Game in San Francisco at the SF Giants ballpark. This would be a more attractive bowl game for me to travel to, than say the Potato Bowl or New Mexico, even if the matchup was still versus a MAC or CUSA opponent.
    • NO. The Potato Bowl is fine. Because it is versus a MAC or CUSA caliber opponent, it will never have great attendance anyway. And Boise means a bowl game within driving range of the Front Range schools.
    • MEH. There is little difference between for me personally between a bowl game staged in SAN FRAN or BOISE. I like traveling to both places for a bowl game just fine, or I just watch on TV.
    • NO TO BYU. I would be in favor of the MWC adding a new bowl tie played in BFE vs the SUN BELT, as long as there was a promise that BYU couldn't play in it.

Guest #1Stunner

Since the 70's is the only time period that matters because BYU was pathetic prior to that. Gotcha. I was born in the 60's, so that period seems relavent to me, and watched a lot of guys in the pro's that played in the 50's, but I was mistaken in caring. I have met Arnie Ferrin, very nice man, he will be sad to hear that you declared his NCAA championship in the 40's as irrelevant. BYU sucked then, so it doesn't count. You are right, no one knows who Babe Ruth is, he didn't count. Or Ted Williams, or Joe Dimaggio. Or Jackie Robinson. None of those guys count. Sports began when Lavell Edwards started coaching for BYU, and haven't meant as much since he retired.

If you are upset that I arbitrarily said the 1970s (well, actually I adopted the argument you created for me), then I am willing to move the cutoff up to the 1960s.  Does that make you feel better?

Why are you saying that I say "no one knows who Babe Ruth is, and doesn't count"?  I don't recall asserting that.  I think you are confused by what I am saying.  I'm saying those old time players are great, but not comparable to modern athletes.  

For example, the WCC University of San Francisco had some great basketball players/teams in the 40s and 50s, but I don't think they'd be very competitive in modern college basketball.   Some BYU fans try to argue that USF is a much more elite basketball program than Utah is, because USF had more success in the 40s and 50s than Utah has ever had, or because USF has elite NBA players as alums.  Do you agree with this logic?  Comparing USF in the 40s and 50s to Rick Majerus teams in the 90s?  I don't.   I think the modern era is better players, and Bill Russell, while fun to acknowledge, would not dominate the modern NBA, or even start on most teams.

I'm merely saying, our Zoob fanbase is also the key to BYU's success.  We'd be smaller potatoes without it.  We recruit kids who dream their whole life (indoctrination from zoob parents) of coming to BYU, and turn down larger schools because of it.  It works great for us.

I guess I'll simply state the obvious: without it your institution would not exist. So...

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

Guest #1Stunner

I guess I'll simply state the obvious: without it your institution would not exist. So...

I agree with you. Our zoob fanbase is embraced. We don't mind their self-righteous, socks and sandal wearing'ism, because he need them.  We need them to keep feeding us athletes.

Same for you guys with the Ute fans who are not affiliated with the University of Utah, or who even care about the school. These are guys who are Ute fans, only because there is no NFL team in the State of Utah.  Embrace these "Pirate Fans", because they only help you guys out.  Butts in the seats.

I agree with you. Our zoob fanbase is embraced. We don't mind their self-righteous, socks and sandal wearing'ism, because he need them.  We need them to keep feeding us athletes.

Same for you guys with the Ute fans who are not affiliated with the University of Utah, or who even care about the school. These are guys who are Ute fans, only because there is no NFL team in the State of Utah.  Embrace these "Pirate Fans", because they only help you guys out.  Butts in the seats.

Dude. Whoosh!

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

This chits good.  Bravo LOL

Posted Image

Guest #1Stunner

Dude. Whoosh!

Speaking of which. You guys think Cecil Samuelson will work for you again? I think he's part of the Crimson Club or something.

Even some SDSU fans feel like they can do better than what the MWC provides, and even want SDSU to follow BYU into independence, or again pursue the AAC.

So if SUDS went indy like you guys, from what conference do you think most of their games would come from? Probably the MWC. There is no SDSU TV so how would going indy help them?

If you are upset that I arbitrarily said the 1970s (well, actually I adopted the argument you created for me), then I am willing to move the cutoff up to the 1960s. Does that make you feel better?

Why are you saying that I say "no one knows who Babe Ruth is, and doesn't count"? I don't recall asserting that. I think you are confused by what I am saying. I'm saying those old time players are great, but not comparable to modern athletes.

For example, the WCC University of San Francisco had some great basketball players/teams in the 40s and 50s, but I don't think they'd be very competitive in modern college basketball. Some BYU fans try to argue that USF is a much more elite basketball program than Utah is, because USF had more success in the 40s and 50s than Utah has ever had, or because USF has elite NBA players as alums. Do you agree with this logic? Comparing USF in the 40s and 50s to Rick Majerus teams in the 90s? I don't. I think the modern era is better players, and Bill Russell, while fun to acknowledge, would not dominate the modern NBA, or even start on most teams.

Who cares how they would do agianst modern era teams, they dominated the era they were in. BYU's 1984 team would get boat raced by pretty much any team in the MWC this year, the changes in strength training and and schemes since then is dramatic. Isuppose we shouldn't consider them a good team,right? I agree that when judging a program you look at what they have done recently first, but if you want to ignore the past, you need to ignore the 80s too, because they have about the same relevance, especially to the college aged kids.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner

Who cares how they would do agianst modern era teams, they dominated the era they were in. BYU's 1984 team would get boat raced by pretty much any team in the MWC this year, the changes in strength training and and schemes since then is dramatic. Isuppose we shouldn't consider them a good team,right? I agree that when judging a program you look at what they have done recently first, but if you want to ignore the past, you need to ignore the 80s too, because they have about the same relevance, especially to the college aged kids.

Modern Era 1970 1960 through the Present.

Not paying attention to Utah in the 1920s, 30s 40s, and 50s, isn't the big deal you are making it out to be, unless you are grasping to prove how dominating Utah has been over BYU.  Sorry, most people don't care about college "intramural" sports during that era.  It isn't the modern era.

I'll say it again.  BYU and UTAH are about equal with regard to overall athletic programs right now.  This despite Utah being in a good conference.  I'm not the only person who thinks this---most national publications agree.  Has Utah had more success in football recently.  Yes.  Has BYU had more success in basketball recently, yes.  Ebb and flow..... Ebb and flow....

Utah is unlikely to clearly surpass BYU as a program any time soon.  Why?  Because BYU recruits well, and isn't about to stop recruiting well any time soon.

Modern Era 1970 1960 through the Present.

Not paying attention to Utah in the 1920s, 30s 40s, and 50s, isn't the big deal you are making it out to be, unless you are grasping to prove how dominating Utah has been over BYU.  Sorry, most people don't care about college "intramural" sports during that era.  It isn't the modern era.

I'll say it again.  BYU and UTAH are about equal with regard to overall athletic programs right now.  This despite Utah being in a good conference.  I'm not the only person who thinks this---most national publications agree.  Has Utah had more success in football recently.  Yes.  Has BYU had more success in basketball recently, yes.  Ebb and flow..... Ebb and flow....

Utah is unlikely to clearly surpass BYU as a program any time soon.  Why?  Because BYU recruits well, and isn't about to stop recruiting well any time soon.

Ed-Lover.jpg

Posted Image

Guest #1Stunner

Stunned, when you venture off into the surreal it's time for me to bid you sayonara.

I'm not smart enough to get what you mean by "surreal".

But....

well_bye_2.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

Chad,

Also, how come you don't refer to BYU as "MIP" anymore?  I admired your work on here.  You did a good job pressing BYU fans buttons, and did a good job stirring the pot.

The BYU vs UTAH rivalry is dead now anyway.  Won't be the same, until/if they are ever in the same conference again.

Also, let me guess?  PAC12 fans are nearly as fun as MWC fans, right?  (I know this as a PAC12 school grad).

Chad,

Also, how come you don't refer to BYU as "MIP" anymore?  I admired your work on here.  You did a good job pressing BYU fans buttons, and did a good job stirring the pot.

The BYU vs UTAH rivalry is dead now anyway.  Won't be the same, until/if they are ever in the same conference again.

Also, let me guess?  PAC12 fans are nearly as fun as MWC fans, right?  (I know this as a PAC12 school grad).

You're right. I stick around here because all of our history is here. I still use MIP, just not as often because of the break and the shine wearing off the rivalry.

I like that my teams are in the PAC12 but interaction with PAC fans is kind of a chore. I still don't believe we're there, not completely. I miss our old friends.

You can keep saying it, you probably even believe it, but doesn't make it true.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner

You can keep saying it, you probably even believe it, but doesn't make it true.

You can keep disputing it and assert that Utah is clearly better than BYU, you probably even believe it, but doesn't make it true.

See what I did there?

You can keep disputing it and assert that Utah is clearly better than BYU, you probably even believe it, but doesn't make it true.

See what I did there?

Nothing?