Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chalsean

OT - For you cord cutters

I dig it so far. Some of the functions are buggy (auto update rarely works for me) but it plays just about any format on just about any device.

I use it to stream content to my PS3 in the living room, smart TV in my bedroom, directv receiver in my garage, etc...

do you have any of your own content you stream? DVDs, music, etc..

you guys are ALL doing it wrong

Set up an antenna. rabbit ears if you can get away with it. in the attic or on the roof if you must. 

run that cord to an HDHomerun network tuner, and plug the HDHR into your router. scan all your channels into windows media center and voila, crystal clear 1080i and 720p HDTV like all you "stream team" guys have never seen before. if you have more than one tv, or cant hook your pc up to  your hdtv, then add a old xbox 360 as an extender. 

not only you'll have picutre quality and functionality that IPTV cant offer, youll also wont be having to pay out the icehole once comcast and company put caps on bandwith.

that's nice for a couple channels

sports will always be a problem for cord cutters 

The answer here is for the MWC to come up with something.  The crap they have offered since the demise of the MTN has been bush league.  I'm starting to wonder if any of our schools have a competent IT/Computer Engineering/Communications departments?

We certainly aren't doing ourselves any favors in marketing the conference arena.  

I blame the 'exposure' nutjobs (looking at you Boise).   <_<

Go Pokes!

bronco2.gif

more like 102 channels. granted that is with a really good antenna mounted up in the attic, but for the thousands i've saved its worth it to do something so simple. 

why would sports be a problem? i get anywhere from 6 to 10 live CFB games every saturday on network tv. if i gave a rip about that sunday league there would be another 5 or 6 to watch. softball games and some cfb are on themw.com, most all of the other cfb are on espn3. the only games i miss out on are on cbssn. it'd be nice to see them but not nice enough to pay $1200+ every year. with all the money we save it more than pays for season tix and a couple road trips to away games. 

why are sports a problem? because they're better watched live. every other show you can go and download and use your favorite method to watch it on your own free time but sports are a bit different... obviously

and 102 channels? you sound like an infomercial, how many of those 102 channels are you actually watching? i'm guessing more than half are religious infomercials and spanish television. 

there are pros and cons to all of this, don't try and pitch it like there's absolutely no negatives to "cutting the cord" 

Guest #1Stunner

I know I just like pushing his buttons.

You have to try harder to get a reaction.

Raspberry pi is okay, but a bit underpowered. Plex/Roku is probably better for the non-technical user.

between these two links

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/

http://gofirstrowus.eu/

and over the air TV I rarely miss a show or event I want to see and if I do miss it well it turns out I really don't miss it

sure I might be 2-3 days behind keeping up with some TV show, but who cares plus I can watch 3-4 episodes in a row if I want to instead of being left "hanging on edge" to see what happens next week

and with first row I have missed a few games mainly UT games because the LHN does not seem to get on firstrow as often and a few others, but minor teams for the most part and there is also the occasional game that starts late and part way into the first quarter as well, but again usually minor games

and there is also ESPN as well for some games and in the future I am sure other sports networks will be streaming as well

I cut the cord because I got tired of paying for 250 channels of crap I did not want to watch, more "agenda" channels popping up while decent channels went to crap and most of all the fact that my dish bill always had little charges popping up on it that I would have to call and get removed or get credited for and there was always no explanation or some lame explanation so finally I told them how about you get zero of my money and like it

they would take the $5 dollar charge off and credit me and then 2-3 months it would be back or it would be something different.......good bye it was the best move I have made in a while saved me $70 per month, I prefer to watch on my computer and when I feel like watching and saving up episodes as well and watching several in a row

dude put the mom jeans on and get it done

yep, those are what I use.....when I rarely watch TV,.... good enough for me.

Dirt Sorcerer