Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueAg

MWC Friday Night Televised Games

why pick AFA then.  they were awful last year

You'd have to ask CBS to know for sure. But I suspect they are simply hedging. AFA, although having a bad year, is a well known name along with the other academies. If you dont know which teams may have a breakout year then you go with name recognition. Plus If I am CBS I am trying to push subscriptions of CBSS across the country. AFA is more likely to have far flung fans then pretty much the rest of us except for maybe Boise.

Is there a monetary bonus being a home game on ESPN?

UNM has Fresno on ESPN or ESPN II

SDSU on ESPNU

Do we get a bonus for both or only the Fresno game?

Do they even give bonuses anymore...

And Friday night football games absolutely suck! I realize we are selling our souls to ESPN but it screws up tailgating, screws up fans coming to the game, screws up Friday night High School games... It basically just sucks...

Bonus money for MWC hosted ESPN and ESPN2 games or games featured on a national OTA networks (like CBS)... weekday 300K...Saturday 500K...no bonus money for CBSSN or ESPNU/3.  No extra TV bonus money for MWC CCG.   

You'd have to ask CBS to know for sure. But I suspect they are simply hedging. AFA, although having a bad year, is a well known name along with the other academies. If you dont know which teams may have a breakout year then you go with name recognition. Plus If I am CBS I am trying to push subscriptions of CBSS across the country. AFA is more likely to have far flung fans then pretty much the rest of us except for maybe Boise.

If that were the case you would think they would lock up all or most of Boise's road games.  It's just odd that they pick up AFA and SDSU games.  Seems like something else is going on.  

why pick AFA then.  they were awful last year

Because Air Force has national appeal

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

If that were the case you would think they would lock up all or most of Boise's road games.  It's just odd that they pick up AFA and SDSU games.  Seems like something else is going on.  

Does Boise have any Friday road games? This is just the Friday games.

Does Boise have any Friday road games? This is just the Friday games.

Not sure.  Don't think so.  I just noticed last year that CBS wasnt johnny on the spot with Boise or Fresno cames that were available.  They pretty much stuck with CSU, AFA, and SDSU.  

Just looked it up. Last year CBSS took 3 of 4 Boise conference road games. The one ESPN took was aginst Fresno. And IIRC CBSS can basically sell games to ESPN after selecting them.

Not sure.  Don't think so.  I just noticed last year that CBS wasnt johnny on the spot with Boise or Fresno cames that were available.  They pretty much stuck with CSU, AFA, and SDSU.  

I bet you its related to the distribution of CBSS in someway.

Bonus money for MWC hosted ESPN and ESPN2 games or games featured on a national OTA networks (like CBS)... weekday 300K...Saturday 500K...no bonus money for CBSSN or ESPNU/3.  No extra TV bonus money for MWC CCG.   

So, so far it's:

Fresno St, Boise St, and Utah St with $600k each

Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, and San Jose St with $300k each

San Diego St, Hawaii, UNLV, Air Force, Colorado St with $0 each

If I remember correctly, last season when television schedules were first announced, Wyoming was at the back of the bonus pack, but I think Wyoming actually ended the season as one of the biggest bonus makers. Anyone got the final bonus stats handy from last season?

So, so far it's:

Fresno St, Boise St, and Utah St with $600k each

Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, and San Jose St with $300k each

San Diego St, Hawaii, UNLV, Air Force, Colorado St with $0 each

If I remember correctly, last season when television schedules were first announced, Wyoming was at the back of the bonus pack, but I think Wyoming actually ended the season as one of the biggest bonus makers. Anyone got the final bonus stats handy from last season?

Next CBSS will make their Saturday game selections, then ESPN will makes theirs(although they get first pick of Boise home games), and then finally they negotiate and ESPN may purchase games they want that CBS selected first. A lot can change from these initialy figures.

UNLV has outside and unlikely shot at $2M. Not going to happen but good chance $1M does come through.

UNLV best Saturday games include NIU, SDSU, Fresno State and BYU. BYU is likely to be televised and one of the other three is likely as well.