Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MCDigger

Has the CSU Stadium Project broke ground?

Trying to pull a fast one I see. Not legit unless it's a watercolor.

But doesn't a Van Gogh trump a watercolor?   I think CSU should up the ante and switch over to oil based paints. 

It's a joint project along with this one:

http://blogs.sjsu.edu/today/2012/sjsu-in-the-news-athletics-department-raises-funds-for-bill-walsh-center/

They both broke ground years ago. The fire ants are just going to take longer than expected.

I don't know the whole story, I think we have switched Presidents, ADs, and expanded the scope since it was first planned. It is tough to see it get pushed back, but I think many of us are still hopeful it will be built...likely after college football becomes irrelevant to Americans 

What is insane is the cost! $38 million. All private cash. While the new Stanford Stadium cost $90 million! I would much rather try to raise the additional 2/3's and build something completely new. Maybe even on campus like CSU. 

spartan-hands.gif

I don't know the whole story, I think we have switched Presidents, ADs, and expanded the scope since it was first planned. It is tough to see it get pushed back, but I think many of us are still hopeful it will be built...likely after college football becomes irrelevant to Americans 

What is insane is the cost! $38 million. All private cash. While the new Stanford Stadium cost $90 million! I would much rather try to raise the additional 2/3's and build something completely new. Maybe even on campus like CSU. 

Weren't there some accounting tricks with the Stanford Stadium that didn't take into account the massive donations, including doing the whole thing at cost because the construction firms owner was a major booster?

Weren't there some accounting tricks with the Stanford Stadium that didn't take into account the massive donations, including doing the whole thing at cost because the construction firms owner was a major booster?

It's actually the same guy for us too. It's the builder who donated ~$20 towards our project to get the bid. I am not sure how he donated to Stanford. But the cost was $90. They essentially just paid the builder back the money he donated and then some. 

spartan-hands.gif

CSU is still in design and fundraising phase.  Per the original schedule, fall of '14 would be the earliest date for groundbreaking.  Sources have it that the GC is planning on hitting that timeline for groundbreaking, and we will play the first game in fall of '16.  IF the money is there by the Oct. '14 decision date.  The rumors are all over the map regarding the fundraising.  Anybody got an 8 figure donation they want to toss in the pot?

Word is that its a 95% probability that construction will start this Fall with a September 2016 opening.

It's clear that this type of fundraising requires a lot of privacy, but that is frustrating.  It would be a lot more fun to watch one of those charts fill up as the money came in.

From what I understand, there's a lot more hoops to jump through than just getting a pledge (which has to be an accomplishment in itself for a big donation).  You can't start a project like this and have a $20 mil pledge change his mind.  Somehow you have to politely get the donor to agree to signing a contract with likely all sorts of clauses and contingencies.  It must be a maddening process.  I can just imagine the lobbying these donors would get if their names were public, from both sides.

I'd say that is a very accurate assessment.  Not to mention lawyers, disclosures, tax implications and A LOT of voice-mails and e-mails back and forth with potential donors and current big money donors.  While I am optimistic, this thing really needs to get going by the Fall.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/local/fort-collins/2014/04/12/long-will-take-build-new-stadium-csu/7651801/

Front page story from The Coloradoan this morning about the stadium project. Assuming the project gets approved, the earliest the stadium would be ready for use would be 2018, with 2019 more likely. There is a plant research center currently located where part of the stadium would go that would need to be relocated prior to beginning construction, a process that will likely take two years..

The article also notes that another $6 million has been shaved from the project's price tag, dropping the price tag to $220 million. 

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/local/fort-collins/2014/04/12/long-will-take-build-new-stadium-csu/7651801/

Front page story from The Coloradoan this morning about the stadium project. Assuming the project gets approved, the earliest the stadium would be ready for use would be 2018, with 2019 more likely. There is a plant research center currently located where part of the stadium would go that would need to be relocated prior to beginning construction, a process that will likely take two years..

The article also notes that another $6 million has been shaved from the project's price tag, dropping the price tag to $220 million. 

That's one idiot reporters inference, who has been proven wrong time and time again.

The Prez and AD are adamant that it will be 2016 and no later

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

That's one idiot reporters inference, who has been proven wrong time and time again.

The Prez and AD are adamant that it will be 2016 and no later

The Prez is on record as saying 2016 is possible and is the goal, but that it is an optimistic goal.  The timeline hasn't changed as far as how long it will take to build.  The start date has just hypothetically been moved back in this article due to the assumption that the PERC has to be completed at the new site before a shovel can hit the ground for the stadium.  That is IMO a bad assumption.  If the go ahead on the stadium were given today, construction of the new PERC site could begin immediately.  That would allow for a very fast move of the portion of the current PERC that the stadium will occupy.  We're talking about building some new greenhouses on the new site and moving plants from the existing structures to the new ones, that's all.  All of the outdoor gardens will be dead or dormant in October anyway.  Just transplant the perennials and start new annuals.  There are very few legitimate scenarios that could make this thing take more than a few months IMO.