Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Cowboy Junky

Are there any rumblings in Albuquerque or San Diego about MLS expansion?

there have been one or two pieces stating MLS should consider Minneapolis or Detroit as expansion targets; that would be a big mistake.  

The Southeast expansion targets are wrong also IMO.  I don't think Atlanta would be that good a spot for a franchise.  It's about the Falcons and Braves, with the Hawks lagging third.  No room for an MLS team to thrive there.  The league should instead focus on a place like Charlotte.  All the Tobacco Road schools usually have decent draws (UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State) and UNC Charlotte draws decently as well.  An MLS franchise would have some success getting attention, especially considering there is no MLB team in the Carolina's.

I was in a group that was trying to get a MLS franchise for St. Louis.  Historically, it was one of the biggest soccer cities in the United States.  We couldn't get any kind of stadium deal going with either the county or the city.  We also had trouble attracting some local investors.  There are a couple of other groups that tried to get something going in St. Louis too, but they were also not successful.  I think a lot of that soccer support must be ancient history in their city.

No question the interest is there and I do believe overall soccer in the US is growing nicely. I am wondering over exactly the same points that you mentioned: Talent and Interest

For instance one possible red flag I see is that quite a few of the older MLS teams actually seem to have declining (or stagnating) attendance figures for years. Most of the increase in attendance comes from the new teams and may be more related to the novelty factor than to sustainable growth.

well the talent only comes with sustained success

right now there's a big problem getting our top guys nationally on premier league level teams. this has to happen for us soccer to grow 

the national team has a huge part in building the mls and american soccer. we can only assess and reassess once every 4 years so it's a long process.

i love soccer, i enjoy watching soccer but i'm not the biggest soccer fan. i'll watch a premier league game if it's on but rarely if ever am i searching for an mls game to watch. i think it's 100% because i don't have any local interest. it's always going to be hard to compete when there's such a talent level and prestige gap from the mls to the top tiers in europe, that's just something americans are going to have to accept

Not sure that is completely accurate. StubHub Center (formerly Home Depot Center) home of the Galaxy and Chivas USA is owned by CSU, Dominguez Hills.

StubHub Center is owned and operated by AEG which owns the Galaxy, CSU Dominguez hills has an agreement to use it, Chivas USA rent it.

right now there's a big problem getting our top guys nationally on premier league level teams. this has to happen for us soccer to grow 

I call BS on this,  MLS has grown year over year.  Developing our domestic league has nothing to do with European leagues.

I saw this article last year about MLS and why Vegas doesn't have a team.  Just throwing it out there for any interest: 

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/jul/01/why-vegas-doesnt-have-soccer/

Does Vegas provide betting lines for MLS games?  Or to put it another way, are soccer games ever bet on?

I call BS on this,  MLS has grown year over year.  Developing our domestic league has nothing to do with European leagues.

call bs all you want but until american's can find stable gigs at the top level the talent will never grow 

mls has gotten bigger but has the national talent grown? no

what's better for the sport, more teams or more talent? that's an easy question

the only way the mls survives is if they revive/find/build/create/summon what-the-+++++-ever is necessary to build local talent. the u.s. national team has to thrive before mls ever stands a chance of actually growing/finding/building talent 

Does Vegas provide betting lines for MLS games?  Or to put it another way, are soccer games ever bet on?

look up william hill

betting in europe on soccer is like thing 1, 2 and 3. sports betting is massive in europe. 

look up william hill

betting in europe on soccer is like thing 1, 2 and 3. sports betting is massive in europe. 

I was mostly referring to Vegas in this case. 

February 16th at UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium the Colorado Rapids and Chivas USA are playing a preseason game.  I've never been to an MLS game so I might go to see what it's all about.  Are these teams worth going to see ?

No reason why they would. Mexican Primera is several notches above MLS in terms of skill and they definitely get paid more in Mexico. Chivas already set up a subsidiary and it hasn't went well.

It is, but this would be direct exposure for them into a bigger American market. I am surprised, but not too surprised, that Chivas USA weren't a huge hit. 

for what tho, that's what i'm curious

are you trying to say that soccer can't exist because you can bet on the game? 

for whether or not there are betting lines in LV for soccer games.  looks like the answer is yes.

and no, i'm not saying that soccer can't exist there because you can bet on the game.

I disagree. Our best players can only get better against top competition. They're not getting it here, despite the improvement in MLS. From the late 80's, when Wynalda went to FC Saarbrucken and Balboa went to Cruz Azul, our players have got better when they've went abroad. Do you honestly think Dempsey would be the same player if he hadn't went to England?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

It is, but this would be direct exposure for them into a bigger American market. I am surprised, but not too surprised, that Chivas USA weren't a huge hit. 

I'm not surprised.  I think a similar comparison can be made between Chivas USA and the Clippers pre-Blake Griffin.  Both are not only overshadowed by their same-city opponents (the Galaxy and Lakers), they also have to share the same venues.  It's only been within the last couple years that the Clippers have begun to step out of their "big brother's" shadows and emerge, and that hasn't happened with Chivas USA.

Guest Cowboy Junky

The tripling of t.v. rights fees combined with the increased ticket revenue should allow the MLS to increase the salary cap and league minimum salary quite a bit. If should improve the quality of play in MLS by a significant amount. Still, you're right, our best players need to be in Europe. Donovan has been able to find international success from the comfort of MLS, but he's the exception. We'll see how Dempsey and Bradley look this summer.

Until we start getting ratings compared to other major American sports, the revenue to support a competitive salary cap just wont be there.

i'm not 100% on the mls betting in vegas. i feel like i've seen a futures sheet for an mls season and there's no way there's not going to be an mls game on the board at lvh but i'm not 100%. of course all the big league soccer games are there 

i'm not 100% on the mls betting in vegas. i feel like i've seen a futures sheet for an mls season and there's no way there's not going to be an mls game on the board at lvh but i'm not 100%. of course all the big league soccer games are there 

that answers my question.  thanks.