Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Cowboy Junky

Are there any rumblings in Albuquerque or San Diego about MLS expansion?

Point taken. They also couldn't secure enough private sector funding either, which necessitated the vote . Forward thinking is fine, but when the downtown of your city is practically 1/4 vacant and you have to use cops on horseback as crowd control every Saturday night for the few shitty bars that do exist down there, a pie in the sky soccer stadium seems like an exercise in futility. Imo they should be trying to figure out how to apply some of the successes of the Uptown and Nob Hill business districts to downtown. I don't know a single professional person in their late 20s, 30s, or 40s with disposal income who frequents downtown. That's a real problem. 

Agreed...downtown ABQ is a dump. Need to solve homeless issue and criminal activity as a first step.

Agreed...downtown ABQ is a dump. Need to solve homeless issue and criminal activity as a first step.

It has gotten progressively worse. The mid/late 90's it was more of a college bar scene, but now it's ghetto as phuck. 

Albuquerque has grown up to be a pretty decent city for a variety of cuisine and there are some really nice bars/micro brews in the Nob Hill and Uptown areas. It's a shame that the downtown is still so poorly developed and lacking. 

It has gotten progressively worse. The mid/late 90's it was more of a college bar scene, but now it's ghetto as phuck. 

Albuquerque has grown up to be a pretty decent city for a variety of cuisine and there are some really nice bars/micro brews in the Nob Hill and Uptown areas. It's a shame that the downtown is still so poorly developed and lacking. 

Ya Nob Hill is great.

There is no reason for any good buisiness to move downtown. AS bad as it sounds they need to find a place to move the homeless for that area to have a chance.

Issue of having terrible ownership?

If you can't make soccer work in LA well...

Inaccurate conclusion. L.A. Galaxy may draw respectable crowds, but L.A. isn't as big a futbol city as some might think. Any day of the week I can walk or drive around L.A. and see more Barca, Madrid, Man U or Liga MX team jerseys than Galaxy jerseys.

As a fellow Arsenal fan with no mls team, I definitely love the idea of the LA Gunners. But yea i could see how this would annoy you as a Colorado fan, sorry dude!

Yep, I found it. This kind of pisses me off as both a Rapids and an Arsenal fan. I was looking forward to the partnership between Colorado and Arsenal.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/05/arsenal-owner-stan-kroenke-to-create-american-sister-team-called-la-gunners-4291277/

So hold on a second.......are they seriously considering adding a THIRD team to LA?  Or am I missing something?  Chivas USA is barely surviving as it is.  

"Once an Aztec, Always an Aztec"

CSU Fresno: Accepting SDSU's sloppy seconds since 1911.

So LA area isn't big enough to support 2 teams?Take la metro population and split it half and still prolly twice the size of any expansion canidate.

MLS wants rivalries between clubs...2 teams in NY, 2 teams in LA.

New city isn't going cure a terrible owner

Never said anything about LA not being big enough to support two teams. The main problem isn't that Chivas is in LA; it's that the galaxy are also in LA. If the galaxy were just some average team it wouldn't be an issue, but they arent. If you're from LA who are you going to support, the team that actually has LA in the name that has won titles and has Landon Donovan and had David beckham..... Or Chivas. They thought they could pull in some of the Latino market by simply slapping the name Chivas on a team, and they were wrong. Chivas just never had a chance.

Inaccurate conclusion. L.A. Galaxy may draw respectable crowds, but L.A. isn't as big a futbol city as some might think. Any day of the week I can walk or drive around L.A. and see more Barca, Madrid, Man U or Liga MX team jerseys than Galaxy jerseys.

So it isn't a big soccer city yet you can drive around and see people wearing soccer jerseys.

Well ok then

Never said anything about LA not being big enough to support two teams. The main problem isn't that Chivas is in LA; it's that the galaxy are also in LA. If the galaxy were just some average team it wouldn't be an issue, but they arent. If you're from LA who are you going to support, the team that actually has LA in the name that has won titles and has Landon Donovan and had David beckham..... Or Chivas. They thought they could pull in some of the Latino market by simply slapping the name Chivas on a team, and they were wrong. Chivas just never had a chance.

Can go back and forth but their is no debating the owner is terrible.

Move team to a new city and still have a shit owner.

So NYFC is a bad idea because Reb Bulls are already there?

The team has had terrible management and hasn't signed any player to excite fan base. Not sure how the city has any part in what troubles that franchise. Again your blaming bad choices of the owner on city. How does putting them in a new city change any of those decisions?

Very few cities are going to support a bad product

Can go back and forth but their is no debating the owner is terrible.

Move team to a new city and still have a +++++ owner.

So NYFC is a bad idea because Reb Bulls are already there?

The team has had terrible management and hasn't signed any player to excite fan base. Not sure how the city has any part in what troubles that franchise. Again your blaming bad choices of the owner on city. How does putting them in a new city change any of those decisions?

Very few cities are going to support a bad product

Again, I didn't say that the problem was that LA wasn't big enough to support two teams, and I did not say Chivas' problem was that LA already had a team... The problem is that the team is specifically the Galaxy; one of the most succesful american soccer teams that was lead by two of the most well known soccer stars in the U.S. In Donovan and beckham.

And the red bulls comparison is terrible. First, they have not been nearly as succesful as the galaxy. And second, the red bulls don't even play in New York, so New York City FC will be the first soccer team to actually play in the city. Those two things (plus their ties to man City and the Yankees) will cause them to almost immediately become the dominant soccer club in NYC in terms of fan support right off the bat.

Now if the red bulls actually played in NYC.... AND were more succesful..... AND had big time stars..... AND NYC FC named itself something that didn't embrace the name of the city..... AND they didn't have an ownership with a ton of money.... Then it'd be a good comparison, and yes it'd be a bad move by the mls. But those things aren't true, so it's a very poor comparison.

Again, I didn't say that the problem was that LA wasn't big enough to support two teams, and I did not say Chivas' problem was that LA already had a team... The problem is that the team is specifically the Galaxy; one of the most succesful american soccer teams that was lead by two of the most well known soccer stars in the U.S. In Donovan and beckham.

And the red bulls comparison is terrible. First, they have not been nearly as succesful as the galaxy. And second, the red bulls don't even play in New York, so New York City FC will be the first soccer team to actually play in the city. Those two things (plus their ties to man City and the Yankees) will cause them to almost immediately become the dominant soccer club in NYC in terms of fan support right off the bat.

Now if the red bulls actually played in NYC.... AND were more succesful..... AND had big time stars..... AND NYC FC named itself something that didn't embrace the name of the city..... AND they didn't have an ownership with a ton of money.... Then it'd be a good comparison, and yes it'd be a bad move by the mls. But those things aren't true, so it's a very poor comparison.

Sorry I didn't realize Thierry Henry was just a bum off the street.

Beckham is gone, not sure how that still harms Chivas.

Donovan is at tail end of his career.

Name some big moves Chivas has actually made.

Also do you know what City the stub hub center is in? Pretty common for teams to play in suburbs of major cities but I am sure you knew that.

So again the problem is Chivas owner...please explain how a new city will alleviate anything that troubles this franchise? Chivas owner is not investing in his team. A red headed step child to its Mexican counterpart. But magically they move to a new city and millions will flow into the organization to buy players. Lol

Sorry I didn't realize Thierry Henry was just a bum off the street.

Beckham is gone, not sure how that still harms Chivas.

Donovan is at tail end of his career.

Name some big moves Chivas has actually made.

Also do you know what City the stub hub center is in? Pretty common for teams to play in suburbs of major cities but I am sure you knew that.

So again the problem is Chivas owner...please explain how a new city will alleviate anything that troubles this franchise? Chivas owner is not investing in his team. A red headed step child to its Mexican counterpart. But magically they move to a new city and millions will flow into the organization to buy players. Lol

Your pretty good at saying a whole lot without addressing any of my actual points.

Again, I didn't say that the problem was that LA wasn't big enough to support two teams, and I did not say Chivas' problem was that LA already had a team... The problem is that the team is specifically the Galaxy; one of the most succesful american soccer teams that was lead by two of the most well known soccer stars in the U.S. In Donovan and beckham.( Beckham is still invloved with LA Galaxy? Last I looked he was buying his own club).

And the red bulls comparison is terrible. First, they have not been nearly as succesful as the galaxy. And second, the red bulls don't even play in New York( Galaxy play in Carson, Maybe Chivas should actually move to LA then?), so New York City FC will be the first soccer team to actually play in the city. Those two things (plus their ties to man City and the Yankees) will cause them to almost immediately become the dominant soccer club in NYC in terms of fan support right off the bat.( So the issue is the right ownership, nothing to do with having 2 teams in same city)

Now if the red bulls actually played in NYC.... AND were more succesful..... AND had big time stars(Thierry Henry is not a big time star?)..... AND NYC FC named itself something that didn't embrace the name of the city(Chivas is talking about changing name to represent city, so why do they need to leave LA?)..... AND they didn't have an ownership with a ton of money.... Then it'd be a good comparison, and yes it'd be a bad move by the mls. But those things aren't true, so it's a very poor comparison.

So addressed a couple of your points...now please explain how a new city will help Chivas. Going to help by bringing in more money? PLayers will magically get better? Were they succesfull and didnt get support? Going to make the accusations of racism go away. I get the feeling you arent very familiar with what a joke Chivas USA is

Only point I see is the Chivas ownership doesnt have the will to compete.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2013/08/15/mls-soccer-team-chivas-usa-hit-with-third-discrimination-lawsuit/

So addressed a couple of your points...now please explain how a new city will help Chivas. Going to help by brining in more money? PLayers will magically get better? Were they succesfull and didnt get support?

Only point I see is the Chivas ownership doesnt have the will to compete.

1. My point was that Donovan and beckham helped them establish a big fan base. Soccer fans in LA are not going to say, "well beckham retired and Donovan is old, maybe I'll root for Chivas now".

2. I never said the stub hub center was in the city limits of LA. My point about NYCFC was that they other something different then the red bulls in that they will be in NYC, where the red bulls aren't. If Chivas was in the city limits of LA they might pull in some fans because of that; or if they were in the OC they could pull fans from there. But instead they simply play in the Galaxy's shadow, So why would anyone in LA root for them over the galaxy others then just to "be different"?

And I never said moving would solve "all" their problems. But it WOULD solve a lot of them.

1. My point was that Donovan and beckham helped them establish a big fan base. Soccer fans in LA are not going to say, "well beckham retired and Donovan is old, maybe I'll root for Chivas now".

2. I never said the stub hub center was in the city limits of LA. My point about NYCFC was that they other something different then the red bulls in that they will be in NYC, where the red bulls aren't. If Chivas was in the city limits of LA they might pull in some fans because of that; or if they were in the OC they could pull fans from there. But instead they simply play in the Galaxy's shadow, So why would anyone in LA root for them over the galaxy others then just to "be different"?

And I never said moving would solve "all" their problems. But it WOULD solve a lot of them.

Lol ... Just like laker fans would never switch to being clippers fans.

Or snoop would go from USC to UCLA along with other fans

LA supports a winner plain and simple.

But no really put Chivas in Cleveland. That city is used to supporting losers sounds like a match made in heaven.

Could have used this exact same example with lakers and cliippers. All those terrible years of clipper basketball was because they were in lakers shadow I'm sure. Sterling had nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the laughs.

Lol ... Just like laker fans would never switch to being clippers fans.

Or snoop would go from USC to UCLA along with other fans

LA supports a winner plain and simple.

But no really put Chivas in Cleveland. That city is used to supporting losers sounds like a match made in heaven.

Could have used this exact same example with lakers and cliippers. All those terrible years of clipper basketball was because they were in lakers shadow I'm sure. Sterling had nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the laughs.

Cool.

Lol don't be mad at me you said soccer...

If people are soccer fans they will support a good soccer team. No one is under the illusion MLS can compare with La Liga or the Premier league.

Not mad, but do become irritated by people who can't follow a conversation  VS must have patience of steel. And yes I did say soccer- in regards to the on going MLS conversation. Let me simplify it for you. L.A. is not a big MLS city as some might think. Yes, the Galaxy draws respectable crowds, but they do play in a 24K only stadium.

Not mad, but do become irritated by people who can't follow a conversation VS must have patience of steel. And yes I did say soccer- in regards to the on going MLS conversation. Let me simplify it for you. L.A. is not a big MLS city as some might think. Yes, the Galaxy draws respectable crowds, but they do play in a 24K only stadium.

And how many MLS teams play in bigger stadiums?

I was under impression MLS was in favor of buildin these soccer specific stadiums in the range of 20-24k

MLS website has it listed as 27k. 82 percent full and 2nd biggest stadium in league behind Seattle.

And how many MLS teams play in bigger stadiums?

I was under impression MLS was in favor of buildin these soccer specific stadiums in the range of 20-24k

I believe his point was that while LA is a huge city and all that, it's not like the galaxy are crushing other teams in attendance. Seattle is in a class all by itself, and LA is firmly in that second tier with Montreal, salt lake, Portland, and a few others. Even if you added Chivas' attendance to the galaxy they would be more then 10k behind Seattle.