Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Huge game for the University of Nevada Rebels...

This weekend the University of Nevada Rebels are the underdog when the UNR Wolf Pack comes to town.

The crushing last-second loss at Hawaii last weekend ended hopes of a "respectable" four win season, but a win this weekend would at least end the season on a positive note.

Anyway, here is a "scenario" that has nothing to do with that game but everything to do with sports at the two rival schools.  This came from a debate I had recently (before the story about UAB possibly dropping football, but reading that got me thinking again.

What if UNLV and UNR were to have just one combined football team and one men's basketball team?!!  This would allow the pooling of resources, create a broader fan base, improve the financial situation of both athletic departments, and possibly make the UN more appealing to the Big 12 (although I admit that would still be an unattainable dream - I only bring it up as a selling point and a jab at certain CSU fans)

The football team would be based in Reno and would play one fewer Reno home game.  One fewer true road game would be played.  Two games would be played in Las Vegas wearing red and under the "throwback" name "Rebel Wolf Pack".  The UNR alumni in LV could come out and now cheer for the home team.

The basketball team would be based in Las Vegas and would play two fewer home games and two fewer true road games.  Four blue Rebel Wolf Pack games would be played in Reno.

I guess that would create an issue with the MWC, having one fewer team in each sport.  The conference has also had a "must have football" policy so we would need to resolve that.

Thoughts?

WTF? Go fcking kill yourself. Rebel Wolf Pack? Gawd. Jesus. I need to bleach my eyes.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Although I'm tempted to edit the thread title I wont.

I am going to admit this is a passive thought that has crossed my mind given the financial struggles of the state.

I'm going to go drink bleach now.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Think both teams throw everything in their arsenal / playbook at each other in this one.

UNLV definitely the team with absolutely nothing to lose, the coach might be gone either win or lose.

UNR has bowl aspirations and would like to be 7-5 vs 6-6 when bowl bids are handed out to avoid anyone questioning their worthiness 

Hauck might be on the sidelines for the final time, and if there's any shot of him returning, he needs this game.

Polian was the guy who lost the Fremont Cannon & he might feel some urgency to get it back

Actually you are in the right place for thoughts on the game as well as all UNLV/UNR talk. It's that time of year.

RedCannon_zps61f804c8.jpg

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=56914&page=16#entry1538685

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

UNLV should hire UNR coach Brian Polian as the replacement for Bobby Hauck! Ault could then once again become enraged and return to the UNR sideline and everyone would be happy again (for a while).

I was too young to know about what the red defection was or meant. But Polian doing that shit would infuriate me; irrationally so, as I'm not sure that he is even a good coach.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I was too young to know about what the red defection was or meant. But Polian doing that +++++ would infuriate me; irrationally so, as I'm not sure that he is even a good coach.

Jeff Horton was the defector............UNLV hired Horton away from UNR right as UNLV was about to enter the WAC16 in 1996.