Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgzpack

How important is Texas to MWC FB recruiting?

Bohl has gone on record saying he'll be looking more into colder climate players than ones from say, Texas. Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, the Great Lakes region, Washington, etc. Doesn't sound like we'll be going much into Texas while Bohl is here.

Charlie Strong is going to bring a different style of play to Texas.  If it translates to wins, then everyone jumps back on the Bevo bandwagon.  How it relates to us?  Not much, if you are only referring to UT, if you mean the state, everyone fights for Texas recruits, it is no difference from before.

Texas is loaded with a good ol' boy network.  Strong is going to have a tough time dealing with them being a black HC in the most visible institution in the state.  He'll succeed anyway because he's a fine coach.       

CSU has 17 current players on the roster from Texas.  The new recruiting coordinator hired just last week is from Texas and was a former high school coach there.  Texas appears to be pretty important to CSU. 

Regarding comment above about Strong, Sumlin aint exactly latino or caucasian.  He does pretty well.  Austin under Mack Brown was a 'player's couch' mentality; he was laizzes faire. Strong is not.  Cleaning house usually occurs in regime changes.  However, the latest outta Austin with two of em raping the same young woman at the same time...is more than usual for Austin.  Police blotter involving Horn types is nothing new; this latest one takes it to a whole new level and it's fairly recent.

Regarding Texas talent.  There's plenty of it.  We get ours that's for sure and so far the 2015 incoming class for Coogs is heavy ish on the East Texas flavor relative to prior years.  We like that...we'll get our picking/selection of the more immediately local boys later.  Plenty to go around...come on down and snag some.  Snag lots.  Take home as many as you carry..just return the shopping cart when done.

p.s.  oops, forgot to add what's already goin on for MWC 2015 recruiting in Texas.  Boise 3 and San Diego State 1.  Not too bad this early, especially when you see what other non-Texas FBS has already done.  For recruiting purposes both Boomer and State (the one in Stillwater) are basically considered Texas squads.  Speaking of Boomer, it's official  Boomer v. Coog in the 2016 Kickoff Classic over at NFL Reliant of seating well over our capacity of 40k.  Yahoo...it's been rumoured for well over a week; not it's official.

texasfootball.com

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Well I'm assuming it's fairly important for the front rangers, and even more so for New Mexico. For the west schools? Not as much, since California is the main priority, although Fresno seems to be recruiting Texas much more with Deruyter. Not sure about the recruiting habits of Boise and USU.

I have found it interesting that Davie hasn't done better there.  He was very popular with the high school coaches in Texas from his days at Texas A&M and Notre Dame.  I know that had been awhile, but most of those guys are still coaching throughout the state.  My only take is that kids just don't want to go to New Mexico because I know the coaches aren't blackballing him.

I have found it interesting that Davie hasn't done better there.  He was very popular with the high school coaches in Texas from his days at Texas A&M and Notre Dame.  I know that had been awhile, but most of those guys are still coaching throughout the state.  My only take is that kids just don't want to go to New Mexico because I know the coaches aren't blackballing him.

He's making inroads slowly. 11 out of the 24 kids in the 2013 recruiting class were from Texas.  5 Kids from Texas in 2014, although I think part of the low numbers last year can be accounted for him going JUCO heavy (which means a lot of Cali kids). 

Realistically, even if Davie builds a bowl caliber team at UNM, we're not going head to head with UT, A&M, Oklahoma, for the top tier recruits and we're probably not going head to head with TCU, or Texas Tech for the 2nd tier recruits very often. UNM's key to success is to get the best of the rest by out-recruiting Texas St., North Texas, UTSA for the 3rd tier caliber kids and develop them as red-shirt juniors and seniors, build some success on the field and occasionally pick off the 3 or 4 star kids from the blue bloods by promising to keep them at their desired position (i.e the HS RB, that Texas wants to use as a DB).  

Texas has been pretty critical for UNLV under Hauck. Not for volume, but for quality.

There are always underrated prospects in Texas. See: Tim Cornett

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Regarding comment above about Strong, Sumlin aint exactly latino or caucasian.  He does pretty well.  Austin under Mack Brown was a 'player's couch' mentality; he was laizzes faire. Strong is not.  Cleaning house usually occurs in regime changes.  However, the latest outta Austin with two of em raping the same young woman at the same time...is more than usual for Austin.  Police blotter involving Horn types is nothing new; this latest one takes it to a whole new level and it's fairly recent.

Regarding Texas talent.  There's plenty of it.  We get ours that's for sure and so far the 2015 incoming class for Coogs is heavy ish on the East Texas flavor relative to prior years.  We like that...we'll get our picking/selection of the more immediately local boys later.  Plenty to go around...come on down and snag some.  Snag lots.  Take home as many as you carry..just return the shopping cart when done.

p.s.  oops, forgot to add what's already goin on for MWC 2015 recruiting in Texas.  Boise 3 and San Diego State 1.  Not too bad this early, especially when you see what other non-Texas FBS has already done.  For recruiting purposes both Boomer and State (the one in Stillwater) are basically considered Texas squads.  Speaking of Boomer, it's official  Boomer v. Coog in the 2016 Kickoff Classic over at NFL Reliant of seating well over our capacity of 40k.  Yahoo...it's been rumoured for well over a week; not it's official.

texasfootball.com

That's pretty cool. Nice.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Bohl has gone on record saying he'll be looking more into colder climate players than ones from say, Texas. Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, the Great Lakes region, Washington, etc. Doesn't sound like we'll be going much into Texas while Bohl is here.

Hmm guess we'll see how well that recruiting strategy works out. Seems suspect to me

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Hmm guess we'll see how well that recruiting strategy works out. Seems suspect to me

It works for getting top level FCS talent and if the last few years have shown us anything, they have shown us that top FCS talent is enough to probably finish in the top 3 or 4 of the MWC.

It works for getting top level FCS talent and if the last few years have shown us anything, they have shown us that top FCS talent is enough to probably finish in the top 3 or 4 of the MWC.

Okay I'll bite.  Which games give you this impression?

Eh, I don't think that is true.

Top-level FCS teams can certainly beat FBS teams, there is no debating that. But to maintain that success over the course of a season is different.

It is the same thing that most MWC posters on this board said to Boise State fans as far as the overall competition in the WAC being weaker than the MWC, and that the week-in, week-out grind of playing tougher competition takes its toll.

A sentiment that I agreed with then, and still agree with now.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Eh, I don't think that is true.

Top-level FCS teams can certainly beat FBS teams, there is no debating that. But to maintain that success over the course of a season is different.

It is the same thing that most MWC posters on this board said to Boise State fans as far as the overall competition in the WAC being weaker than the MWC, and that the week-in, week-out grind of playing tougher competition takes its toll.

A sentiment that I agreed with then, and still agree with now.

Or moving from MWC to B12

Okay I'll bite.  Which games give you this impression?

In recent memory, San Diego State got curbstomped by a mid-level FCS team when they were top 3 or 4 in the conference.  UNLV and New Mexico have been defeated by low level FCS teams, so I don't think it is too much of a reach to think a good team could get some conference wins.  Keep in mind that all these games take place on the road.  I think North Dakota State could have posted even more wins if half of those games were at home.