Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

OT. Graney finally got one right...congrats to Greg Maddux

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/sports/baseball/peers-explain-what-made-maddux-smartest-pitcher-ever

the article is long, but if you have the time it is a good read. Graney obviously put a little time into this one.

Maddux is often at the unlv basketball games, very low key, looks embarrassed to have the camera on him. Congrats to him for his induction today.

He's right more often than he's not.  You just don't like what he has to say...

sometimes he IS right...i do happen to think a unlv beat writer should be professional enough to keep his obvious sdsu homerism under control. if he was writing for sdsu that would be fine, ziegler does a good job covering the aztecs, graney also covers the aztecs, from vegas under the guise of unlv beat writer. they're really good friends, i get it, it would be hard to go cover your competitor's school...and fwiw, i've been a fan of sdsu basketball for several years, i have much respect for fisher and what he has done at sdsu, and love seeing them do well. i have no problem with anybody acknowledging sdsu's success, it's well warranted, and i've OFTEN done it myself. but if graney is here to cover unlv athletics, he could probably tone down the aztec love... and no, i don't expect him just to write what i want to 'hear', but there are times he could be a little more objective. anyway, he did a really good job on this article on maddux, props to him.

Considering that he played in the height of the steroid era, Maddox IMO is the GOAT when it comes to pitchers. He dominated for a long stretch with an 86 mph fastball, through sheer brains and tyranny of will. His ERA and wins would probably be absurd if he played today.

To me, he's like Tim Duncan is to baseball. An absolute monster who doesn't get his due because he was never as flashy as the Roger Clemenses and Randy Johnsons of the world.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just finished it... thanks for posting, really. I LOVED the stuff about Tony Gwynn. If anything it cements Gwynn's greatness for having success against Maddox. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Maddux is my favorite baseball player. I'm a Braves fan, and I followed baseball most closely in the 90s when he and Glavine pitched together. I loved watching him pitch. A true master of the game.

Floyd Mayweather could kick his ass.

i love floyd and he's a great ambassador for the city but he's not a vegas guy like maddux is. plus maddux did it, like others said, against unbelievable opponents who were generally breaking the rules of the game.... floyd has done it on his own terms. maddux is a top-3 all-time pitcher and floyd is a generational fighter, no contest imo and i'm a huge floyd fan 

To each their own, but here is Maddux's record in the postseason:  11-14

Floyd's record in title fights:  23-0

Plus Floyd dominated in the fight with his ex...but I don't believe that was a sanctioned bout.

He doesn't always tell jokes...but when he does...they aren't funny.

NevadaConvert, the most uninteresting man in the world.

He's right more often than he's not.  You just don't like what he has to say...

He writes opinionated articles with an obvious bias. Wouldn't call that him being right more often than he's not.

He doesn't bother me. He is what he is. He knows people know about him and he uses it to his advantage.

Writing to get talking points or reactions and nothing more IMO.

He's been loving the last few years. I just want to see his articles when UNLV starts doing some actual damage and see how he tweaks his articles.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Great read. I'm still shocked that he went in without a logo on his hat though... I figured he was a no-brainer for a Braves logo, even with his time spent with the Cubs at the beginning and end of his career. I still desperately want him to come back in some coaching capacity for us. This was certainly a great HOF class as well, all very much deserving of the honor. 

UNLV fans get so sad about Ed Graney being honest.  He only seems like a homer because UNLV hasnt done anything worthwhile on the court in years and SDSU has been doing that consistently.  Why would he waste his time discussing the under-achieving Rebels and their revolving door roster when he can talk about something that actually happens on the court?

Stop whining about completely fair and unbiased criticism

UNLV fans get so sad about Ed Graney being honest.  He only seems like a homer because UNLV hasnt done anything worthwhile on the court in years and SDSU has been doing that consistently.  Why would he waste his time discussing the under-achieving Rebels and their revolving door roster when he can talk about something that actually happens on the court?

Stop whining about completely fair and unbiased criticism

Lol, because it's the Las Vegas Review Journal.

Why would we talk about Asstecs here? You're barely relevant in SD and irrelevant outside of it.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Lol, because it's the Las Vegas Review Journal.

Why would we talk about Asstecs here? You're barely relevant in SD and irrelevant outside of it.

Lol, obviously we're relevant in LV...

Ziegler is awful.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Ziegler is so main stream. He basically covers SDSU as if he worked for the Bleacher Report. Our Rivals site does so much better.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky