Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bitteraztec

OT: Tesla Gigafactory

I thought I'd start this thread because we have posters in each state competing for the Tesla Gigafactory. Rumors have been heating up recently and wanted to know what people are hearing.

Nevada - Reno- Tahoe Reno Industrial Center

There seem to be accepted rumors that Tesla has secretly broken ground here under the name Project Tiger. Earth moving has been ongoing 24/7 for just over a month. Apparently on Friday work was halted and there are rumors that people were laid off. Channel 4 had a report that people were not laid off but that phase 1 was completed which is why work halted on Friday.

California - over the past couple of weeks the state passed exceptions for a Tesla Gigafactory that has gotten the state back in the race. The primary site would at a naval station in the Bay Area.

Texas - has been the co-front runner along with Nevada. San Antonio has been the target city and recent rumors have the greater Dallas area is also in the mix.

New Mexico: still a finalist but I haven't heard anything

Arizona: also a finalist, however I haven't heard anything at all here.

I have met Elon the factory will be built in California.

facepalm.gif

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Elon Musk got his undergrad degree from Penn..Great school, not P-5

He dropped out of his Stanford PHD program after 2 days..

Maybe Cardinal met Elon during that time when he was pretending he went to Stanford

they should probably just decide on the no-brainer reno location and get started already

If they ultimately decide to build it in Reno it will be a great thing for Reno and a huge windfall for the state.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Had dinner at Elon's house. Talulah and the kids were there. Anyhow, Elon told us he attended a recent charity event for special olympics and told a few of the kids the plant was going to be built and they were all invited to attend. He said he couldnt bear to break their hearts and tell them it would be in Nevada. As he put it, those kids were extra 'special'. One in particular, overweight and with a Stanford Cardinal jumper, really stood out as someone who needed some happiness in their life.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

If they ultimately decide to build it in Reno it will be a great thing for Reno and a huge windfall for the state.

the only good thing about reno is its proximity to northern california and tahoe. it would be wise for the city to capitalize on such advantages 

the only good thing about reno is its proximity to northern california and tahoe. it would be wise for the city to capitalize on such advantages

Our city leaders are idiots.

He spoke at my Son's USC graduation.   A brilliant businessman but not a great public speaker.  At least not that day.  Good message but not a great delivery.

Unlike cardinal trojan I have actually visitied both USC and Stanford and I was accepted at Stanford back in the day.  (it was a lot easier to get into years back and being from Wyoming gave a bit of an edge)

He spoke at my Son's USC graduation.   A brilliant businessman but not a great public speaker.  At least not that day.  Good message but not a great delivery.

Unlike cardinal trojan I have actually visitied both USC and Stanford and I was accepted at Stanford back in the day.  (it was a lot easier to get into years back and being from Wyoming gave a bit of an edge)

well the guy is not running for president of the popular club, he's a get-shit-doner not a talk-about-doing-shiter 

isn't it funny how those kind've people find positions of power

it's almost like the blind are leading the blind...

They're charismatic but idiots. It's endemic of the country as a whole. Look at our senate choices in 2010 Angle or Reid....or the presidential options since 2000.

Thankfully we have non government entities pushing Reno. For example EDAWN who has helped bring many companies here.

They broke ground in a few places because they want the infrastructure in place so that they can start right away. I think they have been doing onsite work at 7 different locations.

Are those 7 all in Texas? Have any of these been seen, or just speculation? I haven't heard of any site "verified" except the Reno site.

I suspect that Tesla will be building on multiple sites in multiple states.  His overall goal in making his patents for the vehicles available for free, was to increase the demand for the batteries.  It will take more than one factory to keep up with the projected demand.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg