Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BroncoOrange

MWC Championship game had higher ratings than PAC-12 Championship game

The Idaho Statesman is reporting that the MWC got around a million dollars for its championship game, but the thing that stuck out to me the most is that Fresno vs USU had better ratings than the PAC-12 championship game. Great news for our conference any time something like that happens.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/07/25/3295767/mountain-west-made-1-million-on.html?sp=/99/101/1272/1805/

The Idaho Statesman is reporting that the MWC got around a million dollars for its championship game, but the thing that stuck out to me the most is that Fresno vs USU had better ratings than the PAC-12 championship game. Great news for our conference any time something like that happens.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/07/25/3295767/mountain-west-made-1-million-on.html?sp=/99/101/1272/1805/

4062969_700b.jpg

I'm really surprised that the western conferences tv ratings would be behind most of the rest of the nation.

probably a reason why the Pac-12 is trying to move up some of the game times ... East Coast viewers

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

probably a reason why the Pac-12 is trying to move up some of the game times ... East Coast viewers

I don't even know if that would help.  When I travel the rest of the nation, I just don't hear anybody talking about football teams from the Pacific time zone.  I think that might be trying to play to a fanbase that doesn't exist.

I don't even know if that would help.  When I travel the rest of the nation, I just don't hear anybody talking about football teams from the Pacific time zone.  I think that might be trying to play to a fanbase that doesn't exist.

I will let them try that experiment ... free's up more viewers for MWC games that are staying with the later kick-off times

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

It's the 9 game schedule with just 12 teams. It Increases the likelihood of a rematch in the CCG. Had USC been eligible in 2011, it would have happened all three games. In 2011, a 6-6 UCLA took the Trojans' place. In 2012, Stanford and UCLA played each other the week prior to the CCG. Last season, ASU and UCLA played each other in September, before meeting again in the CCG. While the fan turnout was decent last year, casual fans don't care to watch rematches on TV.

It's the 9 game schedule with just 12 teams. It Increases the likelihood of a rematch in the CCG. Had USC been eligible in 2011, it would have happened all three games. In 2011, a 6-6 UCLA took the Trojans' place. In 2012, Stanford and UCLA played each other the week prior to the CCG. Last season, ASU and UCLA played each other in September, before meeting again in the CCG. While the fan turnout was decent last year, casual fans don't care to watch rematches on TV.

This is why I think the idea of a CCG in a 10 team Big XII-IV+II is ridiculous. 

With a round robin schedule, a CCG would always be a replay.

If Hawaii were to go independent, and I was the AD, that would be the first talking point in my attempt to get a 4-5 game scheduling agreement with the conference. I would pitch all the UH-PAC12 games, regardless of location, to their networks. While 12 teams would need to schedule another game, only 6 games would need to be replaced on the TV network. If the PAC 12 had rights to the 2 games at Hawaii, that could mean 4 games for the conference if the visiting teams used the 13th game exemption for another home game. It would be a win win win for UH the PAC-12, and the MWC. A win for UH because it would help fill their schedule every year as an independent. A win for the PAC 12 because it would make their CCG better by decreasing the likelihood of a rematch, while guaranteeing that the network will not lose any programming due to the adjustment to an 8 game schedule. A win for the MWC because the PAC 12 schools would now have 8-10 open spots to fill annually, and could potentially schedule more MWC schools to fill them.

If Hawaii were to go independent, and I was the AD, that would be the first talking point in my attempt to get a 4-5 game scheduling agreement with the conference. I would pitch all the UH-PAC12 games, regardless of location, to their networks. While 12 teams would need to schedule another game, only 6 games would need to be replaced on the TV network. If the PAC 12 had rights to the 2 games at Hawaii, that could mean 4 games for the conference if the visiting teams used the 13th game exemption for another home game. It would be a win win win for UH the PAC-12, and the MWC. A win for UH because it would help fill their schedule every year as an independent. A win for the PAC 12 because it would make their CCG better by decreasing the likelihood of a rematch, while guaranteeing that the network will not lose any programming due to the adjustment to an 8 game schedule. A win for the MWC because the PAC 12 schools would now have 8-10 open spots to fill annually, and could potentially schedule more MWC schools to fill them.

how does this affect Hawaii's deal with Oceanic?

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Would TV view Hawaii as a positive for their TV deal? Especially if they lose conference games? I'm not trying to knock Hawaii but they present certain challenges for TV times. When they play on the mainland are they a big enough draw?

It would be just like the MWC which isn't paying UH anything to show the Washington and Oregon State games this year. There's no threat to the Oceanic tv deal as the majority of its content is non football related and the PPV deal is only for football games not picked up by networks that are in Hawaii households(8 this year). The PAC 12 network is in Hawaii.

I'm talking about just four games. 2 home and 2 away. UH averages over 45k when they play teams currently in the PAC12. UH can bring lots of fans to the road games depending on how many tickets are allotted. They have brought as many as 20k to UNLV before. Are they a big ticket draw for other teams' home fan bases? Probably not. However, TV is a different story. Fans are going to watch their team regardless, at least until the game appears to be decided.