Warbow

Hawaii's home is in MWC, its chief assures

Guest #1Stunner

Hawaii should contact the Sunbelt to see if it will allow it to have an annual November scheduling deal with Idaho and NM State, and then it can go Indy with annual November games vs BYU, NM State,and Idaho. It could then fill out the September and October schedule with MWC and PAC12 games.

NM State and Idaho would be thrilled to get to play 13 games (they'd schedule 2 home Big Sky games)

Hawaii would make a lot more money that way, and could control its own TV deal.

Boise can handle it but we're going to take it if it's in the contract.   I think they should pay the Big West, those school's ADs are broke and if that's 70% of the problem, then the point is moot.

If the MWC wants to have 2 divisions and championship game maybe they should pay Hawaii to stay a football only member?  I kid.   But if Hawaii ever gets relevant on the field again they will have the upper hand in negotiations to eliminate the payout.

We paid about 2 million in travel subs last year and guess how much we were in the red last year? Yep, you guessed it, 2 million.

My understanding is that you only have to offer 16 sports with, at least, six being men's sports and eight being women's.  Would the deficit be easier to cover if Hawai'i dropped four sports?

One problem with Hawai'i not being a full member of the MWC is that they are always at risk of the conference telling them to leave.  If they were a full member, they would be, essentially, safe from that threat and better able to control their own destiny.

My understanding is that you only have to offer 16 sports with, at least, six being men's sports and eight being women's.  Would the deficit be easier to cover if Hawai'i dropped four sports?

From what I understand we are at the minimum for the amount of sports required to maintain D-1 status.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Eliminating the MW travels subs would help, but that's only 30% of the sub.  The rest of the travel subs spent is with the Big West and you know they won't have you in there without it.

Don't bother them with facts.  Like what percentage of their budget was the actual subs to MWC.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Eliminating the MW travels subs would help, but that's only 30% of the sub. The rest of the travel subs spent is with the Big West and you know they won't have you in there without it.

Everything UH does requires travel and that includes recruiting. UH has issues to overcome when it comes to travel and I am not sure they will be able to get around that. Adding a 13th game is not as attractive to a low attending school so saying that a team can add another home game means very little to a school that has low attendance like fill in the blank.

Yes, I'm shocked Hawaii agreed to the subsidies...  MWC programs are getting travel subsidies and a potential 13th game to earn additional money on top of that.  I was always under the impression that the 13th game was meant to compensate for travel to the island but now MWC schools are getting both.  I'd be a little miffed if I were a Hawaii fan.

We are.

But we agreed to it.

Kind of hard to bargain or negotiate when our program is in the dumpster.

Our AD is a moron. Bean counter that is maintaining the status quo. He signed our last place (Big West) baseball coach to an extension even though they came in last place. Gave our men's basketball coach a 3 year extension despite being in the middle of an NCAA investigation, cupcake heavy scheduler, .500 conference record (in the Big West) and 1-4 conference tournament record. You guys know about how bad Chow has been. He let him come back after going 4-20 over the last two seasons and losing 6,000 season ticket holders. 18,000 in 2013, 12,000 in 2014. Faced a 2 million dollar shortfall in 2014 and it's only gonna get worse in 2015.

Our school is run by idiots. Still reeling from the fallout of losing June Jones to SMU following the Sugar Bowl.

Is it all Ben Jay's (ADs) fault? No. But he sure as heck ain't helping.

Go Warriors! Go Bows! Go Wahine! GO HAWAI'I!!

aloha-stadium.jpg

This is Mountain West Country

ALOHA!

Follow me on Twitter! @UHawkFan12

wrong wrong wrong...

Utah St's collecting a big pay day for the @ Tennessee game. That game never would have been scheduled had they never had the option of a 13th game (Idaho St.). There's no way Utah St would play only 5 home games with 7 road games.  

The additional road game for UNLV was scheduled well in advance of the bowl restriction penalty.

The Tennessee game has been scheduled for over five years.  We ALWAYS schedule a P5 one-off for the money.  (In the past 5 years, Oklahoma, Auburn, Wisconsin, USC, Tennessee, and Washington next year.)  Those games are scheduled way in advance and the Tennessee game was scheduled before we even knew we were coming to the MWC.  The game you're thinking of is @Arkansas State.  We'd have never signed that H-H deal without the 13th game exception.  I agree that your situation sucks over there, but we're not sitting over here rolling in money at your expense.  I can get an itemized list of the travel subsidy you guys pay us, and I bet it's under 100k.  Up until last year, my wife was the travel coord. for USU athletics and they definitely don't sit there and count on whatever UH pays when it comes time to balance the budget.  I think you're other solution to the problem is the right one, and that starts at home with your legislature, and not making ill-advised hires/conference moves.  You'll always start at a loss because you are a five hour flight from your nearest opponent.  That's the breaks living on the islands.  Everyone has challenges, ours being within 90 miles of two huge universities with more resources than us.  We deal with it as best we can.

The Tennessee game has been scheduled for over five years.  We ALWAYS schedule a P5 one-off for the money.  (In the past 5 years, Oklahoma, Auburn, Wisconsin, USC, Tennessee, and Washington next year.)  Those games are scheduled way in advance and the Tennessee game was scheduled before we even knew we were coming to the MWC.  The game you're thinking of is @Arkansas State.  We'd have never signed that H-H deal without the 13th game exception.  I agree that your situation sucks over there, but we're not sitting over here rolling in money at your expense.  I can get an itemized list of the travel subsidy you guys pay us, and I bet it's under 100k.  Up until last year, my wife was the travel coord. for USU athletics and they definitely don't sit there and count on whatever UH pays when it comes time to balance the budget.  I think you're other solution to the problem is the right one, and that starts at home with your legislature, and not making ill-advised hires/conference moves.  You'll always start at a loss because you are a five hour flight from your nearest opponent.  That's the breaks living on the islands.  Everyone has challenges, ours being within 90 miles of two huge universities with more resources than us.  We deal with it as best we can.

You forget where we came from. Those games were scheduled when you guys were in the WAC with Hawaii and the assumption of scheduling another home game as the 13th game to fall back on. Like I said, there's no way Utah st plays only 5 home games with-in a 12 game schedule.

Utah st needs to do the right thing and decline the travel sub payment from Hawaii. Like you said, it really don't make a difference to your overall budget?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

BYU just needs to swallow their pride!  BYU should be chomping at the bit to join SJSU and New Mexico State in the revamped MWC.

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs  ·  22h

Leach on BYU: "I think they need to scramble and get in one of those conferences. If they don't, I don't know what the future holds."

You forget where we came from. Those games were scheduled when you guys were in the WAC with Hawaii and the assumption of scheduling another home game as the 13th game to fall back on. Like I said, there's no way Utah st plays only 5 home games with-in a 12 game schedule.

Utah st needs to do the right thing and decline the travel sub payment from Hawaii. Like you said, it really don't make a difference to your overall budget?

Does USU get travel subsidies from Hawaii? My understanding is that we do not since we were not a member of the MWC when Hawaii agreed to pay the travel subsidies.

In any event, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, because USU had originally planned to play 5 home games and 7 road games this season. Our athletic director managed to convince Wake Forest to play in Logan this year at the last minute, which is how we got a 6th home game. But until he managed to ink that deal, there was a debate about whether it was better to play two FCS teams to get to six home games or simply play only five home games. One way or another, USU has always played at least one money game every year. The game with Tennessee would have been played even if USU ended up with only five home games. Unfortunately right now USU earns a lot more money from a body bag road game against a P5 opponent than it does from a home game.

Does USU get travel subsidies from Hawaii? My understanding is that we do not since we were not a member of the MWC when Hawaii agreed to pay the travel subsidies.

In any event, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, because USU had originally planned to play 5 home games and 7 road games this season. Our athletic director managed to convince Wake Forest to play in Logan this year at the last minute, which is how we got a 6th home game. But until he managed to ink that deal, there was a debate about whether it was better to play two FCS teams to get to six home games or simply play only five home games. One way or another, USU has always played at least one money game every year. The game with Tennessee would have been played even if USU ended up with only five home games. Unfortunately right now USU earns a lot more money from a body bag road game against a P5 opponent than it does from a home game.

Yes Utah St and San Jose St gets travel subs from Hawaii. Unlike the Big West the MWC decided that travel subs will be paid to all new members that joins the MWC.

You can't tell that that those body bag games and 7 road games wasn't scheduled with the 13th game in mind as a back-up plan. I won't beleive you.

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs  ·  22h

Leach on BYU: "I think they need to scramble and get in one of those conferences. If they don't, I don't know what the future holds."

Why would BYU need to "scramble" to get into a G5 conference?

Btw, it's surprising the number of times BYU's name has come up in P5 conference media days... 

Why would BYU need to "scramble" to get into a G5 conference?

Btw, it's surprising the number of times BYU's name has come up in P5 conference media days... 

Only because the press keeps asking the 'freakin' question.

As for Leach's comment, not sure what he means because BYU is more concerned about other things than a Access Bowl apparently.  Would that change if Utah St. lost to BYU and still went to the Fiesta bowl while BYU goes to the Miami Bowl?

But it wasn't the Tennessee game we signed to offset the 5 game home schedule.  We scheduled Ark State and Idaho State just in the past year with either being the 13th game.  Your contention is that we just made a million dollars off of Hawaii's back by scheduling Tennessee as our 13th game.  That's just not true.  Had we stayed in the WAC together, you guys would be here this year, as we went there during odd years (2011 was the last time we played while both of us were in the WAC).  Idaho State is the 13th game, and we're paying them 300K to come here.  Hawaii only pays us the difference in what it costs to fly to Hawaii.  Not hotels, food, ground transport, or anything else.  It's a pittance that we don't need, and I agree that we should reject the subsidy on account of the 13th game, which, as you contend, we profit from.  However, I don't know what you guys' contract looks like with the MWC, but it's not our fault you guys jumped ship the first chance you got for the MWC.  An agreement was made between all the WAC schools to stay together for stability.  Fresno and Nevada broke that agreement and Hawaii followed suit.  It's karma.  There's a reason we went from the basement of college football to winning 10 games a year.  It's because we were honest and did things the right way in my opinion.  You reap what you sow.  USU isn't the root of your problems, your president and AD are.

Since Hawaii was asking to be the 10th team added and wanted to leave the WAC which did not have travel subs, it was probably thought that the travel subs would serve as a deterent for Hawaii to decline the MW with the stipulations.  Hawaii could have kept the WAC alive for football.  They decide to join the MW regardless of the deal and perhaps with no mention of changing the terms per the MW board members, it'll steer Hawaii to either continue to accept the deal they have or steer them into Independence with BYU. 

Still if the MW did without the travel subs (650k), Hawaii still has about $1.4 million in travel subs with the Big West.