Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoldenEagleAztec

Paul Myerberg - USA Today's CFB Countdown

Some experience, but we lose a ton of starters at many positions. O-line, yeah, that's had issues for years. I agree on QB just needs to be serviceable (some on wyonation think the sky is falling if we don't have another Brett Smith or ACS, or some transfer QB that hasn't had a very good career should come here, automatically get the start, and we'd be awesome). RBs I'm not worried about. Wick and May both have at least 2 more years, and Wick had nearly 1000 yards behind a horrible o-line and very predictable playcalling, and May, up until his injury, had been neck and neck with Wick. Reciever, I think we may have too much depth there. For 5 years, we recruited for the spread offense (minimum of 3 recievers, and up to 5), and now we go to an offense where we'll have 2 on the field most times.

Defense has had talent, it just never got developed right. But I agree, the process as a whole will take a couple years.

Think a lot of us will be surprised this year. I'm not saying we'll win the MW, probably .500 is more realistic and hopefully give teams fits.

Myerberg is not persuaded by one winning season. He did the same thing to SJSU last year. He is firm, but fair. While 110 may be low, a 60-75 placing would have been too high. The rebs should have been placed in the 90's, IMO.

Well I am still confused by his analysis. If he thinks unlv is going to go 2-11 then yes a 90+ rating is understandable. But he also thinks we are good enough to win 6-8 games which indicates a ranking more in the 50-75 range. Whatever the case you can say the same exact thing for most mwc teams this year. And UNLV belongs in the same area where csu, Nevada, Wyoming and sjsu are ranked, probably in that 60-80 range.

Since those teams left, I don't think there is much of a distinction between their current performance and the teams that replaced them. I think Boise, the 'Dogs, USU and SJSU would fair pretty well against those 3 teams the last 2 years.

The biggest problem is aside from SUDS which has turned it around, it is still not a great league top to bottom. I don't think those Universities still being here would change that as they have had a few down years as well.

Had the 'Dogs not crapped the bed against the Spartans, they would have played in a BCS bowl (not deservedly so), and the perception of the league would be just as it was. A top heavy league that benefits from to many weak games.

If the MWC doesn't perform better OOC this season, the seemingly never ending cycle will continue.

No they would not have. The media had neutered them in the polls before then. And im not saying they deserved to go to the Fiesta. Im jus saying the writing was on the wall by then.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Well I am still confused by his analysis. If he thinks unlv is going to go 2-11 then yes a 90+ rating is understandable. But he also thinks we are good enough to win 6-8 games which indicates a ranking more in the 50-75 range. Whatever the case you can say the same exact thing for most mwc teams this year. And UNLV belongs in the same area where csu, Nevada, Wyoming and sjsu are ranked, probably in that 60-80 range.

I think Wyo will be in the high 80s or 90s with the other 3 in the range you mentioned.

Wasn't UNM dead last on this poll last year?

Looks like they a have a little confidence in Bob Davie to slowly start turning things around.

Last year only 4 teams really shut down our offense and completely ran over us and that was Pitt, Utah St, Fresno and Boise.

Every other game UNM's offense did enough for a win but our D made everybody's offense look like the Oregon Ducks. 

roflbot.jpg

It's like I said. He sees one winning season as a fluke if everything beforehand was losing seasons. Or if the losing seasons stretch longer in the archives. The placement is based on the previous seasons, not his predictions, No UNLV doesn't belong hire than 90. SJSU had a winning 2012 season and a .500 2013 season. They'll stay in the 70s, where he placed them last season.

After the 2010 season, he placed SDSU 92 even after winning the P Bowl. After 3 consecutive winning seasons, he placed the Aztecs above 50- at 48. He's a harsh, but fair critic.

I think everyone is underrating AFA.  I don't think the Zoomies are going to challenge for the conference title or anything, but I do think that they'll be much better than expected.

AFA is very much a "system" program.  While they don't return a whole lot of talent, they do return pretty much an entire squad that was forced to learn the system.  I think they'll still have a very weak defense, but I wouldn't be surprised if the offense didn't return to a semblance of what we've come to expect.  Ball control and score with a lot of clock used up.

He's basically saying that UNLV has the personnel to win 6+, but history says they never do, so though he spends the majority of time arguing against his conclusion, his conclusion is still that we will suck cause we always has... It's brilliant really. :rolleyes:

I think everyone is underrating AFA.  I don't think the Zoomies are going to challenge for the conference title or anything, but I do think that they'll be much better than expected.

AFA is very much a "system" program.  While they don't return a whole lot of talent, they do return pretty much an entire squad that was forced to learn the system.  I think they'll still have a very weak defense, but I wouldn't be surprised if the offense didn't return to a semblance of what we've come to expect.  Ball control and score with a lot of clock used up.

The last few years, Air Force has been on the decline, bit by bit. This last year, yeah, we all know how that went. Not that long ago, Air Force actually had a good defense, but it seems that was more DeRuyter's doing than anything. Offense, they did go through a ton of QBs, but even with their very serviceable backup QB, they got smacked around quite a bit.

What every fan said about SDSU in the decades between Croyell and Hoke.

Impossible. We won a conference championship in that time frame. Something UNLV and UNM have failed to do I. The history of their programs....

Hard to argue with the analysis. If the OL steps up and the defense is average Nevada could be solid. But those are pretty big ifs.

Yeah, I've always been impressed with Myerberg.  His analysis are usually pretty accurate, especially so with Nevada's this year.

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

Yeah, I've always been impressed with Myerberg.  His analysis are usually pretty accurate, especially so with Nevada's this year.

His analysis was so accurate and faire he even pointed out how 2013 could have been decidely different had Nevada completed the second half comeback against SDSU.  I think most fans agree that game was a back breaker for the young team and coach. 

Paul earns his paycheck.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman