Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoldenEagleAztec

Paul Myerberg - USA Today's CFB Countdown

Wyo/AFA/sjsu are the next group, Not sure which order.

I predict SJSU to be placed in the high 70s to 80s. They held on to a mediocre season and I expect Myerberg to cut them some slack since it was a transition year.

UNLV pick is low, they are better than #110.  It was a fair review but he even says the team is good enough to win 6-games, which I agree with.  That isn't #110 though.  I think we are more in the #60-#75 range.  And there is no way AFA is better than UNLV right now.

I agree and think AFA and wyo will end the season ranked higher than they start.

When you say higher do you mean 123 > 104 or 78 > 104? Just curious.

I really want us to do well next year but we still have a lot of work to do. Our O line is looking like a liability. And QB looks fairly weak. Everything else is at least looking decent, and at our spring game the defense actually swarmed the ball and (oh my god) wrapped up when tackling. I think our defense will be improved but I'm not convinced we will be able to put up many points. Hope I'm wrong.

On a nice note (at least for us) I've never seen us throw out as many offers this early as I have from our new staff. Can't hurt to put out a ton of offers.

When you say higher do you mean 123 > 104 or 78 > 104? Just curious.

I really want us to do well next year but we still have a lot of work to do. Our O line is looking like a liability. And QB looks fairly weak. Everything else is at least looking decent, and at our spring game the defense actually swarmed the ball and (oh my god) wrapped up when tackling. I think our defense will be improved but I'm not convinced we will be able to put up many points. Hope I'm wrong.

On a nice note (at least for us) I've never seen us throw out as many offers this early as I have from our new staff. Can't hurt to put out a ton of offers.

Well, we are losing a ton of starters and backups after this coming season, and at a lot of positions. You think this year is going to hurt, at least we have a lot of experience going into it. Next year is going to hurt a lot more unless we develop a decent amount of depth this coming season.

Well, we are losing a ton of starters and backups after this coming season, and at a lot of positions. You think this year is going to hurt, at least we have a lot of experience going into it. Next year is going to hurt a lot more unless we develop a decent amount of depth this coming season.

We'll still have experienced players at most positions (linebacker will lose all starters, but most positions have decent depth...which should only get better).   I'm in the "we'll take steps forward" camp, not take steps backward.  We'll have an adequate QB (which is all we need).   We'll have solid RB's and WR's.  If the Oline gels at all, we'll put up points.    And I think we'll see a 180 in our D in just one off season.   Solid depth and side at almost every position.

Bowl or bust!!

UNLV pick is low, they are better than #110.  It was a fair review but he even says the team is good enough to win 6-games, which I agree with.  That isn't #110 though.  I think we are more in the #60-#75 range.  And there is no way AFA is better than UNLV right

Myerberg is not persuaded by one winning season. He did the same thing to SJSU last year. He is firm, but fair. While 110 may be low, a 60-75 placing would have been too high. The rebs should have been placed in the 90's, IMO.

UNLV pick is low, they are better than #110.  It was a fair review but he even says the team is good enough to win 6-games, which I agree with.  That isn't #110 though.  I think we are more in the #60-#75 range.  And there is no way AFA is better than UNLV right now.

+1

UNLV loses the starting QB and best RB in UNLV's history, but we return everyone else (including a veteran O-Line).

I think the defense and O-Line alone will make up for lots of potential deficiencies at skill positions. Apparently according to this guy we will be the worst 6 win team in the country though... whatever that means.

The most depressing part of the year.  Our bottom feeders on display to remind us all why we are who we are.  Sometimes I think we would be better off if football wasn't required by all.  Some schools should play hoops only.. 

UNLV pick is low, they are better than #110. It was a fair review but he even says the team is good enough to win 6-games, which I agree with. That isn't #110 though. I think we are more in the #60-#75 range. And there is no way AFA is better than UNLV right now.

I love being the dog. If this is the true sentiment, UNLV is going to surprise a lot of people. Definitely not below AFA or the Lobos.

The most depressing part of the year.  Our bottom feeders on display to remind us all why we are who we are.  Sometimes I think we would be better off if football wasn't required by all.  Some schools should play hoops only.. 

You know it's a zero sum game, right?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

You know it's a zero sum game, right?

Exactly. Suddenly our current top teams become bottom feeders if all the bottom feeders drop football. But hey, the bottom will be 70 instead of 120, so that makes it better.

The bottom feeders don't seem to be showing signs that they can collectively move up.  You can use the wait until next year excuse only so many times.  There's no question that we're below the AAC and the worst of it is they may distance themselves from us even further.  If we drop below the MAC, it might be irreversible.  We haven't picked up the slack since Utah, TCU and BYU bailed.  It's very discouraging.

Is this the reason we can't get a good TV contract or are we this bad because of it?  Someway or somehow our presidents have to get off their collective asses.

The bottom feeders don't seem to be showing signs that they can collectively move up.  You can use the wait until next year excuse only so many times.  There's no question that we're below the AAC and the worst of it is they may distance themselves from us even further.  If we drop below the MAC, it might be irreversible.  We haven't picked up the slack since Utah, TCU and BYU bailed.  It's very discouraging.

Is this the reason we can't get a good TV contract or are we this bad because of it?  Someway or somehow our presidents have to get off their collective asses.

Since those teams left, I don't think there is much of a distinction between their current performance and the teams that replaced them. I think Boise, the 'Dogs, USU and SJSU would fair pretty well against those 3 teams the last 2 years.

The biggest problem is aside from SUDS which has turned it around, it is still not a great league top to bottom. I don't think those Universities still being here would change that as they have had a few down years as well.

Had the 'Dogs not crapped the bed against the Spartans, they would have played in a BCS bowl (not deservedly so), and the perception of the league would be just as it was. A top heavy league that benefits from to many weak games.

If the MWC doesn't perform better OOC this season, the seemingly never ending cycle will continue.

We'll still have experienced players at most positions (linebacker will lose all starters, but most positions have decent depth...which should only get better).   I'm in the "we'll take steps forward" camp, not take steps backward.  We'll have an adequate QB (which is all we need).   We'll have solid RB's and WR's.  If the Oline gels at all, we'll put up points.    And I think we'll see a 180 in our D in just one off season.   Solid depth and side at almost every position.

Bowl or bust!!

Some experience, but we lose a ton of starters at many positions. O-line, yeah, that's had issues for years. I agree on QB just needs to be serviceable (some on wyonation think the sky is falling if we don't have another Brett Smith or ACS, or some transfer QB that hasn't had a very good career should come here, automatically get the start, and we'd be awesome). RBs I'm not worried about. Wick and May both have at least 2 more years, and Wick had nearly 1000 yards behind a horrible o-line and very predictable playcalling, and May, up until his injury, had been neck and neck with Wick. Reciever, I think we may have too much depth there. For 5 years, we recruited for the spread offense (minimum of 3 recievers, and up to 5), and now we go to an offense where we'll have 2 on the field most times.

Defense has had talent, it just never got developed right. But I agree, the process as a whole will take a couple years.