Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

MWC Basketball Recruiting 2014-15

We only need one opening for Cornish; seagears got Birch's ride after he declared.

Thats right. Hard to keep up with so much moving around.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Do you know anything about Cornish? He signed his LOI at Tennessee but was able to get out of it because the coach left for Cal. That is the only reason why he is available at this point. Cornish is a 6'6" shooting guard who can play some SF and help with rebounding, which we will need with thin front court depth this up coming year.

As for Morgan, the kid is 6'8" 215. How big is JJ Obrien who played the 4 for you guys last year?

My bad on Cornish... as for O Brien he is the typical tweener, has a weird game, and wasn't very effective at 4 year before last. He struggled on the boards

Rodney Terry continues to trim the fat so to speak...two bench players transferring out of the program. 6'11 Tanner Giddings, and 6'4 wing Broderick Newbill.

Newbill saw little time last year. Giddings, when his hand wasn't broken, saw a lot of minutes off the bench.

My one criticism of Terry is while he does hit some home runs on recruits from time to time, he also strikes out. It seems like every year or two we've got kids transferring out of the program and as a result, our depth is consistently suspect.

regarding transferring, that's an issue a lot of teams are facing. Basically if a kid isn't playing he will transfer.

it sucks.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Rodney Terry continues to trim the fat so to speak...two bench players transferring out of the program. 6'11 Tanner Giddings, and 6'4 wing Broderick Newbill.

Newbill saw little time last year. Giddings, when his hand wasn't broken, saw a lot of minutes off the bench.

My one criticism of Terry is while he does hit some home runs on recruits from time to time, he also strikes out. It seems like every year or two we've got kids transferring out of the program and as a result, our depth is consistently suspect.

Ya I thought Newbill was supposed to be a highly touted prospect coming out of high school.  Guess not.

Statistically giddings is addition by subtraction

Giddings is 6'11 and 5 more fouls. I would contend he probably never should have been on scholarship in the first place, but so too shouldn't have the Cheerful Chinaman...6 feet 9 inches of FAIL known as Grant Hefeng...another RT project.

Grant_Hefeng_Norfolk.jpg

Ya I thought Newbill was supposed to be a highly touted prospect coming out of high school.  Guess not.

he wasn't really highly touted or recruited.   It came down to us or Tulsa for him, IIRC.

I respectfully disagree with you. This is not my opinion, but words from coaches on the east with west coast ties. Fresno was a disaster when terry took over. He had 10 days to recruit his first class and no cred for his second class. His misses were risks he had to to take to build the program. Getting Anderson gave him credibility and finding Harris was a coup, because he was a major D1 talent that no one know about since he played football and wasn't on the AAU circuit. Since then he has built a reputation and hasn't missed on a single recruit. The icing on the cake was Watson which surprised the elite of college basketball. A coach told me that Terry is a star in the making and Fresno has a chance to to lock him up long term because he is extremely loyal. He wants to build his own program like Coach K , Dean Smith and John Wooden. He is a proud Texan who love to go home, but he loves Fresno and has built a foundation and would love to Finnish his estate.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

I respectfully disagree with you. This is not my opinion, but words from coaches on the east with west coast ties. Fresno was a disaster when terry took over. He had 10 days to recruit his first class and no cred for his second class. His misses were risks he had to to take to build the program. Getting Anderson gave him credibility and finding Harris was a coup, because he was a major D1 talent that no one know about since he played football and wasn't on the AAU circuit. Since then he has built a reputation and hasn't missed on a single recruit. The icing on the cake was Watson which surprised the elite of college basketball. A coach told me that Terry is a star in the making and Fresno has a chance to to lock him up long term because he is extremely loyal. He wants to build his own program like Coach K , Dean Smith and John Wooden. He is a proud Texan who love to go home, but he loves Fresno and has built a foundation and would love to Finnish his estate.

You nailed it Ivy. Coach Terry will be a star, and I hope stays at FS.

RT had a couple of decent players to work with that he leveraged into some pretty good wins. Jerry Brown, Olekaibe, Tyler Johnson come to mind.

I'm not ready to declare RT a rising star yet. He's shown some promise, but he's also shown some questionable decisions on the recruiting trail.

Hefeng - Absolute disaster.

Kevin Foster - Solid contributor

Daquan Brown & Julius Bilbrew - Neither made it to campus

Larry McGaughey - Awful

Newbill - Never did anything, transferring

Giddings - A lower division player forced into a mid-major starting role, transferring

Robert Upshaw - Disaster, smoked his way off the team...though in RT's defense, it would have been a PR nightmare if he turned the kid away.

Braeden Anderson - Should be a great player, injury/accident was a bad break

Marvelle Harris - best player to date he's signed

Aaron Anderson - On paper it was a great signing, but obviously, the kid was way overhyped...transferred to Central Oklahoma

Soma Edo - Solid roleplayer, but a backup at best

Cezar Guerro - Great transfer.

Paul Watson - Potential star in the making

Alex Davis - A JC band-aid, fills a need. Solid player.

Of the above, I would say RT has hit on 7 of 14...50%...and that's why I say I am not ready to declare him a star...yet.

Jury still out on Julian Lewis, Isaiah Bailey, Terrell Carter,  Eugene Artison and Darnell Taylor

All this said, I hope he is very successful and we can keep him. He seems like a really nice guy who won't tolerate shenanigans from his players...and our MBB APR has never been better.

RT had a couple of decent players to work with that he leveraged into some pretty good wins. Jerry Brown, Olekaibe, Tyler Johnson come to mind.

I'm not ready to declare RT a rising star yet. He's shown some promise, but he's also shown some questionable decisions on the recruiting trail.

Hefeng - Absolute disaster.

Kevin Foster - Solid contributor

Daquan Brown & Julius Bilbrew - Neither made it to campus

Larry McGaughey - Awful

Newbill - Never did anything, transferring

Giddings - A lower division player forced into a mid-major starting role, transferring

Robert Upshaw - Disaster, smoked his way off the team...though in RT's defense, it would have been a PR nightmare if he turned the kid away.

Braeden Anderson - Should be a great player, injury/accident was a bad break

Marvelle Harris - best player to date he's signed

Aaron Anderson - On paper it was a great signing, but obviously, the kid was way overhyped...transferred to Central Oklahoma

Soma Edo - Solid roleplayer, but a backup at best

Cezar Guerro - Great transfer.

Paul Watson - Potential star in the making

Alex Davis - A JC band-aid, fills a need. Solid player.

Of the above, I would say RT has hit on 7 of 14...50%...and that's why I say I am not ready to declare him a star...yet.

Jury still out on Julian Lewis, Isaiah Bailey, Terrell Carter, Eugene Artison and Darnell Taylor

All this said, I hope he is very successful and we can keep him. He seems like a really nice guy who won't tolerate shenanigans from his players...and our MBB APR has never been better.

You put too much stock in his first recruiting class; He gets a pass on that one. RT is making FS a player in this conference.

Where fresno state was they were going to need to take chances on kids. Still need too. Take chances on bad character lids. Fake chances on kids with bad ggrades.take chances on kids with injury isdues. But also take those limited upside 4 year garauntee kids.

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

Where fresno state was they were going to need to take chances on kids. Still need too. Take chances on bad character lids. Fake chances on kids with bad ggrades.take chances on kids with injury isdues. But also take those limited upside 4 year garauntee kids.

Looks, by this post, you could use a little sleep. :)

Lol. I was 50 hours no sleep.

how scary is it, that i understand what he is saying. and i DIDN'T go 50 hours without sleep...but i did stay at a holiday inn express once...