Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Worries about your team

SDSU came in with some question and though they left with a 38-7 win there were some negatives.

SDSU cannot get any pressure without a blitz, I know its hard to get there with 3 but against a small FCS team you should get there a couple times without blitzing.

The biggest concern is definitely Kaehler the QB, his first 3 throws were as awful as they get, though he improved a bit as game went on, he can't throw 20+ yard passes accurately and though he is pretty accurate in intermediate passes they don't have the velocity needed.

Other than that happy about the team

O-line in pass protection, run block consistency, and QB.

QB-Kirkegaard made some bad plays, no lie. His arm is stronger than what it was, but overall, he leaves a lot to be desired.

O-line-

Pass protection. We don't have it. Part of the problem for Capt. Kirk is that he didn't get much time to look for an open receiver. The o-line, particularly the tackles, got burned way too much.

Run blocking, when it worked, worked very well. But that wasn't as often as it should have been. At times, just a 4 man rush would push through and get to the backs. Other times, the o-line would absorb the blitz, and open up a hole for the RB. Needs more consistency.

Bonus-Offensive play calling. Some real head scratchers were called as the game went on. Like letting Kirk throw when we weren't getting anywhere with it. Or 3rd and short and deciding to throw the ball when we were having success running the ball.

UNLV worries:

Overall defense - speed not too great & tackling was far from expectations - Depth on D is an issue..........UA scored those fast TD's when UNLV went to 2nd stringers.

OL was disappointing in game 1 - could get no running game going & QB was pressured - at this point i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that the PAC talent/speed was just too much - I expect better in MWC play.

QB showed some good things & with more time to go thru reads, I think he'll be OK

WR's are fine with Davis & Boyd as two mainstays

RB - Sore spot. No one showed much in game 1. If some RB doesn't step up and fill the hole the offense will be one dimensional - Again was the running game a product of a PAC12 opponent - I suspect the RB's & OL will fare better against MWC teams........how much better remains the big question.

Qb play and ol.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

OL and the play calling. I really hope that was more of keeping it vanilla so we didn't show our cards. Also a couple of big plays given up by the defense that went for scores.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

CB's, WR's, coach running dual QB's.

Talent's there at the first two positions.  The athletes just need game experience.

QB is a conundrum.  We can't use Burrell like we used Carr. Carr got those short passes there in such record time that there was YAC opportunity. Burrell is barely getting them there before the DB. 

However, Connette is poop as a passing QB.  Burrell is way more accurate.

Kilton needs to be ready ASAP.  

Talent's there at the first two positions.  The athletes just need game experience.

QB is a conundrum.  We can't use Burrell like we used Carr. Carr got those short passes there in such record time that there was YAC opportunity. Burrell is barely getting them there before the DB. 

However, Connette is poop as a passing QB.  Burrell is way more accurate.

Kilton needs to be ready ASAP.  

What's the word on Greenlee?

QB and special teams kick coverage.

Although Jurich had decent numbers there were quite a few balls thrown that would get pick 6-ed in MWC play.

Special teams kick coverage wasn't very good last year and I wasn't encouraged by what I saw on Thursday.  We gave up some long returns.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

SDSU came in with some question and though they left with a 38-7 win there were some negatives.

SDSU cannot get any pressure without a blitz, I know its hard to get there with 3 but against a small FCS team you should get there a couple times without blitzing.

The biggest concern is definitely Kaehler the QB, his first 3 throws were as awful as they get, though he improved a bit as game went on, he can't throw 20+ yard passes accurately and though he is pretty accurate in intermediate passes they don't have the velocity needed.

Other than that happy about the team

There's no way around it QK is a noodle arm...

qk.jpg

He's good enough for us to win the MWC though.

Not living up to the hype.

Is a pre-season game highlight really your sig?

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

QB and defensive line. QB Cole Gauche out with a pulled hamstring after battling and getting us back to even with utep, Davie says he's a no go for the ASU game... defense got run over... again!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

D Backfield - better, but still not good enough.  The talent is there, but I'm concerned about the coaching and scheme.  Wyo fans were happy to lose our DC, and I'm beginning to suspect why.  Nothing special going on back there.

O-line - Looked solid against a very weak CU D line, but I'm still not sold  Depth is at a premium as we've lost both starting tackles and one of the tackles backups.  We looked good against a crap team, but I'm not yet sold we can do it against a good team, and our depth across the board is pretty fresh out of HS.