Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

battle.borne

Fear the Mullet

Since Hekking took some heat on this site for his Boz Mullet I thought I'd share a recent article on him, and what makes him tick.  Get to know him opposing fans because your QB's are already schemeing to avoid him.

--

For Pack’s Hekking, it is all about the Hair-tude

Brock Hekking doesn’t mind if you believe he’s, shall we say, one part nasty, two parts crazy.

In fact he prefers it that way.

“It’s an attitude,” smiled the Nevada Wolf Pack defensive end.

It all starts with the hair.

“Actually it started off as a Brian Bosworth sort of thing,” said Hekking, referring to the former Oklahoma Sooners linebacker of the 1980s. “I saw him interviewed on ESPN on one of those “30-for-30” shows about (the University of Miami). I just really liked his attitude and intensity. He was the type of guy who was going to come at you 100 miles an hour on every play. That’s the way I want to play.”

Hekking, though, has sort of taken his Boz haircut to another level.

“Yeah, it sort of turned into a mullet,” said Hekking, who also sports a headband to complete the look.

The blond-haired Hekking also touches it up a bit.

“Yeah, I dye it a little,” said Hekking, whose hair is more white than blond now. “But just a little.”

The 6-foot-4, 255-pound Hekking is sort of a cross between Bosworth, Hulk Hogan and an old Norse Viking. His name, after all, is Broderick Adrianus Hekking. Picture him with a giant spear and shield with horns coming out of his Wolf Pack helmet and, well, you get the idea.

Hekking, though, is more than a haircut and attitude.

“You see him with mullet and the do-rag and whatever and you might think he wants to be an individual,” Wolf Pack head coach Brian Polian said. “But he’s not that way at all. He’s a team-first type of guy.

“He has is own personality and I don’t have a problem with that. He’s a guy who loves football. He’s total football. And he’s the ultimate team player. Nobody on this team works harder than Brock Hekking.”

Like his mullet, Hekking is all business up front to go along with a party in the back.

“He takes care of his business on and off the field doing what he’s supposed to be doing, setting an example for his teammates,” Polian said.

Hekking, who will turn 22 in October, definitely set an example for his teammates last year. He finished third on the team with 75 tackles and first with 10 tackles for a loss and eight sacks. The Mountain West put him on its Second Team All Conference team and this summer he was picked to the Pre-Season First Team.

“He leads this defense with his performance,” Polian said. “That’s how I want our leaders to lead, with the job they do on the field.”

That’s just fine with Hekking.

“I’m not a verbal leader,” said Hekking, who graduated from Vacaville, Calif., High School. “I’m not a rah-rah guy. I want to lead by my performance.”

Hekking has been with the Wolf Pack since his red-shirt freshman year of 2010. He got an opportunity to watch and learn from two of the Wolf Pack’s greatest defensive lineman in school history in Dontay Moch and Brett Roy. Moch was a lightning-quick end who led by example and Roy was a bundle of energy from the kickoff to the final gun.

“Take Dontay and Brett Roy and mix them together and that’s kind of who I am,” Hekking said.

Last year was Hekking’s breakout season. Roy left after the 2011 season and the Pack was forced to play a lot of young, wet-behind-the-ears defensive linemen. Hekking was one of those youngsters.

“Nobody knew what we could do,” Hekking said. “Everybody was questioning if we could do the job. We used that as motivation.”

Hekking had 7.5 sacks in the Pack’s first seven games and the team went 6-1. He had just 2.5 sacks over the final six games as the Pack went 1-5.

“You can’t ever be satisfied with what you’ve done,” Hekking said. “I, personally, have higher standards than that.”

He hasn’t stopped working.

“Everyday in practice I go up against the best,” Hekking said. “I go against (offensive tackle) Joel Bitonio because he’s the best and I want to train against the best. Everyday I want to get better and that’s why I go against him.”

“Brock and I battle everyday,” Bitonio said. “We fight everyday in drills. We make each other better.”

Hekking’s ultimate goal, though, is to not only make himself better.

“My main goal is for our defensive line to function as one,” Hekking said. “It’s not about one guy. We have to go out there and function as a clock with all the mechanisms dialed in. If teams want to focus on me, that’s fine. That means someone else on our defensive line will get an opportunity to make a play.”

Forget that haircut. Hekking is one defensive end who doesn’t look for attention.

“If I go out there and get three sacks and we lose by 14 points, then those three sacks mean nothing,” he said. “If I never get a sack and we win, then I will be thrilled.

“That Arizona game (a 49-48 bowl game loss in which the Pack allowed 14 points in the final 46 seconds) left me with a sick feeling in my stomach. I’m going to carry that with me through this season as motivation.”

The haircut is also motivation.

“If you look good, you will play good,” Hekking said. “That’s what I believe.”

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

A$$ Clown

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Are they gonna sew a back pocket into his pants so he can stick a comb in there? It's important to groom between downs...looking good is hard work.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

A$$ Clown

your hate seems misguided.  He's a kid, who stays out of trouble, and is a first team selection.  What makes him an a$$?

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

I dunno.  Kinda seems to fit...

assclown (plural assclowns)

1. (slang, vulgar) A jerk; a buffoon; a person who is inept or ill-behaved to the point of being found laughable by others.

In reality, I could not care less about the mullet, the attitude, or anything else about Hekking.  Utah State has a few characters on our team.  It is part of the "color" of the game.

If he is a solid student, good athlete for the program, and a decent member of the community, and not beating up girls, I'm not sure that haircuts or crazy attitude are of any concen.

I don't understand the Hekking hate here. Kid gets the work done in the classroom, on the field, and from all accounts is a great teammate and member of the community. What else could we ask for from a kid representing one of our Universities? So he has a goofy haircut and a personality to match, who cares?

In my mind, CSU QB Bradlee Van Pelt is the only mullet of note in the MWC.

His doo wasn't even a real mullet, but when it got sweat it looked like a mullet the way hit hung out of his helmet.

FEAR THE MULLET...BVP!!!

GO STATE...GO BVP!!!

your hate seems misguided.  He's a kid, who stays out of trouble, and is a first team selection.  What makes him an a$$?

The fact that he plays for the other school in Nevada

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Because nobody on the forum even knows the kid.  Its just funny to laugh at a guy who presents himself as a clown.

I don't understand the Hekking hate here. Kid gets the work done in the classroom, on the field, and from all accounts is a great teammate and member of the community. What else could we ask for from a kid representing one of our Universities? So he has a goofy haircut and a personality to match, who cares?

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Because nobody on the forum even knows the kid.  Its just funny to laugh at a guy who presents himself as a clown.

Agree with this 100%.  I don't think anybody really dislikes Hekking.  Seems like a good kid and a good player for the Pack.

But when a guy presents himself as a bit of a clown, people are going to laugh at him and poke fun at him.

It's kinda like a girl enters a wet t-shirt contest then she gets all indignant when someone whistles.  What did you want/expect?