Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BoSalecta

Colleges May Seek Antitrust Exemption for NCAA

"Universities with big-budget sports programs may ask Congress to give the NCAA an antitrust exemption should a federal court rule that it is illegal to forbid college athletes from making money.." 

Another evil and immoral attempt by the rich and powerful to defraud those who create this massive wealth.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/colleges-may-seek-antitrust-exemption-for-ncaa-1406741252

bosalectaisright.thumb.png.d417647bfb450

Congress can't pass anything ... it's doubtful they would risk the ire of their voters on behalf of the NCAA.  It'll never get a vote

*especially after a court rules on it

Perhaps you are correct. Our society is bent on doing right for the "have-nots". With the big conference schools and the NCAA pocketing and squandering the billions of dollars football produces each year, perhaps Congress will not legalize a practice that is a moral outrage.

Perhaps you are correct. Our society is bent on doing right for the "have-nots". With the big conference schools and the NCAA pocketing and squandering the billions of dollars football produces each year, perhaps Congress will not legalize a practice that is a moral outrage.

I am almost positive coach's salaries will be discussed, along with the student's total academic and practice schedule -- those 2 things will color the NCAA very badly ... or they can just read the transcripts of the O'Bannon suit. 

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Congress loves big business

And CFB is a big business

they'll get it

I don't think so, there is a reason baseball is the only of the 4 major sports to have one. If it was that easy the NBA, NFL and NHL would also have one. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

If they are to get an anti-trust exemption they will be required to collectively bargain with an entity represening the players (players union) in good faith, and would likely be required to submit to arbitration of some sort when the two sides can't agree on an issue.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

If they are to get an anti-trust exemption they will be required to collectively bargain with an entity represening the players (players union) in good faith, and would likely be required to submit to arbitration of some sort when the two sides can't agree on an issue.

That arrangements already exist in the NFL and NBA, both of which technically have not been granted anti-trust exemption. However, if you think they are not operating under that standard you should ask yourself can anyone purchase a Team???

I don't think so, there is a reason baseball is the only of the 4 major sports to have one. If it was that easy the NBA, NFL and NHL would also have one. 

It's easier to keep it than to try to gain it from the point of not having it

One of the Final Five..........

That arrangements already exist in the NFL and NBA, both of which technically have not been granted anti-trust exemption. However, if you think they arent not operating under that standard you should ask yourself can anyone purchase a Team???

Only MLB has anti-trust exemption. No defacto anti-trust exemption (except for broadcasting) for the NFL as demonstrated by the numerous lawsuits against the NFL for alleged anti-trust actions. None for the NBA. Only MLB is exempt. 

Only MLB has anti-trust exemption. No defacto anti-trust exemption (except for broadcasting) for the NFL as demonstrated by the numerous lawsuits against the NFL for alleged anti-trust actions. None for the NBA. Only MLB is exempt. 

MLB also has the only fully open bidding system for employees.  

If they tried to restrict the earnings of their employees MLB would lose that exemption in a heartbeat.

By arrangement I meant players union and collective bargaining, that's why I specifically pointed out neither had been granted exempt status. You and tools blow my mind sometimes.

"Universities with big-budget sports programs may ask Congress to give the NCAA an antitrust exemption should a federal court rule that it is illegal to forbid college athletes from making money.." 

Another evil and immoral attempt by the rich and powerful to defraud those who create this massive wealth.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/colleges-may-seek-antitrust-exemption-for-ncaa-1406741252

Things remain moral enough so long as BSU's interests remain protected, correct, Bo?

The money retained should go to academic evolution before player salaries, right?

You do still value armature athletics within college institutions?

Semi-pro leagues suck, my friend...

New-Signature.jpg

By arrangement I meant players union and collective bargaining, that's why I specifically pointed out neither had been granted exempt status. You and tools blow my mind sometimes.

What are you drooling about moron?

Your backtracking doesn't make any more sense then your original claim.

Things remain moral enough so long as BSU's interests remain protected, correct, Bo?

The money retained should go to academic evolution before player salaries, right?

What exactly is an armature athlete?

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

What exactly is an armature athlete?

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Good one!  You got him real good there.  You win moron.

Mr Kills: Do you advocate the subordination other's freedoms and choices in order to protect our football program?  Not me.

Nobody said playing sports is a requirement at college. Academics are the only requirement at college. Those college football programs that cannot keep up, those that take the fatal hit in the system because the massive wealth produced by the athletes is shared with the athlete, I say good riddance.