Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Northern Illinois scheduling news: MWC mentioned

I am not a fan of scheduling MAC teams at all.

We got sucked into a quagmire of games against them when we did a 1-1 with Bowling Green way back in the day when Omar Jacobs was their QB (iirc). The problem was that as Boise State's rep started growing, we needed to push the return game out because we were getting chances to play better teams. So as part of the deal we agreed to 1-1's against other MAC schools, and it just kept going and going.

This coincided directly with MAC Football going into the ishhter so we were taking up slots with not-so-good teams, in areas we do not recruit, against schools our fans have little to no interest in.

I really do not want to see any more MAC/Sunbelt, and for the most part CUSA teams on Boise State's OOC schedule anytime soon.

They might make for mildly interesting inter-sectional games once in a blue moon, but I would way rather play the Vandals than any of those teams. 

+1

Now more than ever I want us all to kick power conference azz.  We get ASU at home this year and yes I am hoping we can find a way to beat them.

We got sucked into a quagmire of games against them when we did a 1-1 with Bowling Green way back in the day when Omar Jacobs was their QB (iirc). The problem was that as Boise State's rep started growing, we needed to push the return game out because we were getting chances to play better teams. So as part of the deal we agreed to 1-1's against other MAC schools, and it just kept going and going.

This coincided directly with MAC Football going into the ishhter so we were taking up slots with not-so-good teams, in areas we do not recruit, against schools our fans have little to no interest in.

I really do not want to see any more MAC/Sunbelt, and for the most part CUSA teams on Boise State's OOC schedule anytime soon.

They might make for mildly interesting inter-sectional games once in a blue moon, but I would way rather play the Vandals than any of those teams

Idaho is in the Sunbelt now ...

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Is their first announced series versus San Diego State?

https://twitter.com/Rotsart/status/494156432564953089

SDSU slates series with N. Illinois in '16-'17: San Diego State's football team will play home-and-home series... http://bit.ly/1nYJY61 

Sweet! Another excuse to go to Chi town.

......and get murdered. :P

NIU seems a little far for a decent trip to the Chi.  It would be nice if the Bears had a home game,  Soldier Field is an awesome place to take in a game.

Nah, Chicago is a great town. I love that place. Chicago is closer to Dekalb than it is to South Bend, and I stayed there for the Notre Dame game. Just take the train to Elburn and then catch a cab to Dekalb.

Nah, Chicago is a great town. I love that place. Chicago is closer to Dekalb than it is to South Bend, and I stayed there for the Notre Dame game. Just take the train to Elburn and then catch a cab to Dekalb.

Haven't been to DeKalb, and probably won't, but I agree, Chicago is fun.  Surprisingly cheap hotels in downtown.  I usually stay close to the shore and north Chicago.  It would be nice to get a game in Evanston.  I would definitely go to that one.

Haven't been to DeKalb, and probably won't, but I agree, Chicago is fun. Surprisingly cheap hotels in downtown. I usually stay close to the shore and north Chicago. It would be nice to get a game in Evanston. I would definitely go to that one.

Been there once and loved it. That museum is legit along with the shore front

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Haven't been to DeKalb, and probably won't, but I agree, Chicago is fun.  Surprisingly cheap hotels in downtown.  I usually stay close to the shore and north Chicago.  It would be nice to get a game in Evanston.  I would definitely go to that one.

I used VRBO and rented a sweet 32nd floor two bedroom condo overlooking the Navy Pier. I think I paid like $500 for three nights which was a heck of a deal IMHO.

They might make for mildly interesting inter-sectional games once in a blue moon, but I would way rather play the Vandals than any of those teams.

Yeah, that deal looked like a win-win when it was scheduled. The problem with MAC schools is they are all so similar. Their attendance, their budgets, their history, they all play second fiddle to B1G schools, they all recruit the exact same athletes from the exact same areas. Because of this it ends up being ONLY coaching that makes them good. So you can schedule the MAC champ one year and then their coach gets stolen and by the time you play them they are garbage. It's a crapshoot with MAC schools.

I used VRBO and rented a sweet 32nd floor two bedroom condo overlooking the Navy Pier. I think I paid like $500 for three nights which was a heck of a deal IMHO.

Yeah, Chicago is great. Stayed there before the Michigan State game. Wrigleyville was awesome. Tons of bars, tons of places to watch sports, lots of good old fashioned bar food. Had a great time.

......and get murdered. :P

NIU seems a little far for a decent trip to the Chi.  It would be nice if the Bears had a home game,  Soldier Field is an awesome place to take in a game.

That's part of the reason why I decided against going to Corvalis this September. Two-hour drive from PDX to Corvalis. As much as I want to visit Portland, I feel that this isn't the most opportune time.

I looked up the distance from Chicago to DeKald, one hour ride is not bad. Your suggestion makes it more feasible.