Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bitteraztec

OT: Tesla Gigafactory

Here's the caveat for building the gigafactory in Cal., and it's not minor. 

"Tesla may have been lured to California on legal grounds, but the site proposed is a former Concord Naval Weapons Station, largely contaminated with toxic materials. Cleaning work is already underway, but the problem is a fundamental one for Elon Musk, a man on a schedule."

I will go back to my prediction of 2 gigafactories ...one in NV, the other in CA.  Both have really strong reasons to proceed, and both have issues that may prevent either from getting off the ground until the end of the year.  Given that, it seems plausible that Telsa moves forward on both to keep that 2017 roll-out of the model 3 on track. As long as both states keep upping the perks to Tesla, the more likely they both will get a factory.  The domestic and global demand for batteries will support both.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

I will go back to my prediction of 2 gigafactories ...one in NV, the other in CA. Both have really strong reasons to proceed, and both have issues that may prevent either from getting off the ground until the end of the year. Given that, it seems plausible that Telsa moves forward on both to keep that 2017 roll-out of the model 3 on track. As long as both states keep upping the perks to Tesla, the more likely they both will get a factory. The domestic and global demand for batteries will support both.

I hope you're right, that would be awesome.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

they shouldn't build the factory in Concord. That naval weapons station is a such a contaminated almost superfund like dump, the city of concord won't take it and develop it. the navy doesn't want to pay to clean it up, just sell the land. so it doesn't seem likely Mr. Musk would go to this dirty site. It's more likely it goes to a rural place like Oak Ridge Tennessee or somewhere in SoCal. I am just happy he's building it in USA and not Canada or another country.

The playoff is here and I can hardly believe this day has come. Now when will the playoff expand to 8 teams? 2016 please come true.

I don't know who Bob Tregilus is, or what is fact or rumor, but if Panasonic came in late Thursday and screwed up the deal for Nevada and cost local jobs, phuck them.

It gives me pause when I see a blogger like Tregilus jumping to conclusions after interviewing a couple of construction workers.  Makes me wonder if he's just trying to pump up his twitter followers and blog readers.

This story by KRNV News 4 paints a different picture, with what seems to be a more credible source.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/local/story/Secret-Construction-Site-Fuels-Tesla-Factory/_JTtfImGAUC7D7bNRQZwpw.cspx

"A tech blog claims Tesla Motors has broken ground at a construction site in the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center, and may have laid off construction workers yesterday. News 4 learns that is not the case."

"It is one of the largest projects moving dirt in the center, according to Lance Gillman, Director of the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center."

"Gilman, says that workers were not laid off yesterday as some have claimed. The workers have been working day and night for the past few weeks."

“They've reached the end of the first phase,” says Gilman. “And so I can tell you that there's been a full mile long path built in about 3 and half weeks. And so the first phase of construction process is completed and there is a halt at this time."

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

I don't know who Bob Tregilus is, or what is fact or rumor, but if Panasonic came in late Thursday and screwed up the deal for Nevada and cost local jobs, phuck them.

I don't see why Panasonic would care where Tesla makes the batteries in the us so long as prices remain the same and their quotas are met.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

It gives me pause when I see a blogger like Tregilus jumping to conclusions after interviewing a couple of construction workers. Makes me wonder if he's just trying to pump up his twitter followers and blog readers.

This story by KRNV News 4 paints a different picture, with what seems to be a more credible source.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/local/story/Secret-Construction-Site-Fuels-Tesla-Factory/_JTtfImGAUC7D7bNRQZwpw.cspx

That's the Channel 4 report I mentioned in the threads original post.

This is interesting... When I posted the Channel 8 story last night, they quoted or possible misquoted Gilman as saying work was 85% done and abruptly stopped. They've edited the article this morning to say the project met a natural halting point. That is in line with the channel 4 report.

Tregilus has been a point of reference. In fact Forbes added an edit to the article above referencing him.

No updates on his twitter this morning.

Edit: I've reached out to my contacts and have gotten dead air. If the project was dead, I think I would have gotten an indication.

This is interesting... When I posted the Channel 8 story last night, the quoted or possible misquoted Gilman as saying work was 85% done and abruptly stopped. They've edited the article this morning to say the project met a natural halting point. That is in line with the channel 4 report.

Tregilus have been a point of reference. In fact Forbes added an edit to their article above referencing him.

Edit: I've reached out to my contacts and have gotten dead air. If the project was dead, I think I would have gotten an indication.

Haha this is nerve wracking. It would be so incredibly huge for Reno to get this.

This is interesting... When I posted the Channel 8 story last night, they quoted or possible misquoted Gilman as saying work was 85% done and abruptly stopped. They've edited the article this morning to say the project met a natural halting point. That is in line with the channel 4 report.

Tregilus has been a point of reference. In fact Forbes added an edit to the article above referencing him.

Okay, that must be where I remembered reading it.   I guess the thread has come full circle  :)

I credit Tregilus for his piece of info, but I was sure I already heard an excavation project started at the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center, but maybe it was just reading the permit was pulled.  It was interesting, when the writer of the article in Forbes was asking Tregilus on twitter about the info he posted, he provided a link to the story on KOLO's website to support it.  But, the thing is, he was the source for the story they ran.  It's true, whoever said Tesla couldn't buy this much publicity about building their gigafactory.

Hopefully there's an announcement tomorrow that clears up a few questions.

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

I don't see why Panasonic would care where Tesla makes the batteries in the us so long as prices remain the same and their quotas are met.

Because it's a joint venture. Tesla folds and Panasonic still needs batteries for other products. No way this gets investment without both involved.

there is also a HUGE warehouse structure currently going up in North Reno between Stead Blvd. and Golden Valley Road.

It started in late march.

There is no sign outside saying for whom it is being built.

Which is a bit curious to me.

I was wondering about that. I drive passed every day and can't figure out who it is

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I'm not sure I heard this correctly as I missed part of it on channel 8 Reno on Wednesdays evening news. They indicated that the shutdown was because of a "glitch" with the State of Nevada and conversations with ? were continuing. whatever that means. I could not find an updated link. The Reno paper has an article this morning but it does not mention anything about a glitch. 

I was wondering about that. I drive passed every day and can't figure out who it is

That's actually where BlueTools stores his hatred.  it's a big facility obviously.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

That's actually where BlueTools stores his hatred. it's a big facility obviously.

Obviously

Tesla's 8-K confirms they broke ground on a site just outside of Reno.

Tesla's 8-K confirms they broke ground on a site just outside of Reno.

In June, we broke ground just outside Reno, Nevada on a site that could potentially be the location for the Gigafactory. Consistent with our strategy to identify and break ground on multiple sites, we continue to evaluate other locations in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. The final site for the first Gigafactory will be determined in the next few months, once we have full visibility and agreement on the relevant incentives and processes for enabling the Gigafactory to be fully operational to meet the timing for Model 3

http://ir.teslamotors.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1193125-14-289598&CIK=1318605