Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bitteraztec

OT: Tesla Gigafactory

I think Texas forbid direct to customer sales for Tesla. If they were willing to undo that for gigafactory size jobs it might go Texas

Can someone explain why a state would forbid Tesla (or any company) from selling direct to customers?

Yay to your first article. Boo to your second.

Did the construction workers go back to work today? I'm not so sure that Tesla did not abruptly pull the site preparation construction funding.  Right or wrong, these workers were told it was a long term project, if they aren't back to work it sucks for them.. 

Can someone explain why a state would forbid Tesla (or any company) from selling direct to customers?

It has to deal with the auto dealerships in the state. They lobby hard to keep manufacturers from being able to sell directly.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Good old boy network in texas.  gotta add in the middleman to jack up the prices a bit ya know

Yep looks like Toyota is going Fuel cell instead of all electric but not sure how they get those costs down.

Nissan is pushing deeper into electric cars though

Every state should do this.  If a state allows carmakers to sell direct, they don't get sales taxes on some of the sales that take place in another state.  Having a law like this forces a company to make dealerships, showrooms, spend money, hire employees, etc.  It is good for a state to generate that kind of business.  It also gives the people of the state some consumer protection.

Every state should do this.  If a state allows carmakers to sell direct, they don't get sales taxes on some of the sales that take place in another state.  Having a law like this forces a company to make dealerships, showrooms, spend money, hire employees, etc.  It is good for a state to generate that kind of business.  It also gives the people of the state some consumer protection.

Don't agree.  I don't think they should make these requirements because they're too ignorant to figure out how to tax the sale.  Helluva lot of overhead just for that.  One could claim consumer protection in multiple industries.  These seem like old laws that don't fit in a modern age.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Don't agree.  I don't think they should make these requirements because they're too ignorant to figure out how to tax the sale.  Helluva lot of overhead just for that.  One could claim consumer protection in multiple industries.  These seem like old laws that don't fit in a modern age.

It has nothing to do with ignorance on taxes, it may have to do with federal law.  You say overhead, I say jobs.

It has nothing to do with ignorance on taxes, it may have to do with federal law.  You say overhead, I say jobs.

Well hell, why don't we make people go to showrooms whenever they want to buy computers?  That will instantly generate jobs.  Do the same with furniture.  Yes and wouldn't want to compete with Apple.  Ban all Apple stores.  Consumer protection.  Plus we can't tax that stuff over the internet.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Well hell, why don't we make people go to showrooms whenever they want to buy computers?  That will instantly generate jobs.  Do the same with furniture.  Yes and wouldn't want to compete with Apple.  Ban all Apple stores.  Consumer protection.  Plus we can't tax that stuff over the internet.

I would be all in favor of all of those things.

Well hell, why don't we make people go to showrooms whenever they want to buy computers? That will instantly generate jobs. Do the same with furniture. Yes and wouldn't want to compete with Apple. Ban all Apple stores. Consumer protection. Plus we can't tax that stuff over the internet.

Actually that stuff is now taxable over the Internet with streamlined sales tax.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The bottom line is that states are going to have to figure out how to tax Tesla for their cars.  I'm not really taking about sales tax on that either.  A lot of our highways and other roads are paid for by the gasoline taxes.  What do you do for a car that is using these just as much, but not contributing anything towards the maintenance and repair of these roads?

Depends where you live. There are plenty of states where people don't pay sales tax on internet purchases.

Fair point. But if you have a sales tax but don't pay it with an online then you're required to pay a use tax on the product.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/03/04/3-ways-to-still-avoid-sales-tax-online/

The bottom line is that states are going to have to figure out how to tax Tesla for their cars. I'm not really taking about sales tax on that either. A lot of our highways and other roads are paid for by the gasoline taxes. What do you do for a car that is using these just as much, but not contributing anything towards the maintenance and repair of these roads?

I've thought about this. The only logical conclusion I can come to is they're going to start mileage tax that you pay when you register your vehicle.

I would be all in favor of all of those things.

You would regulate the channel from which manufacturers distribute their products? I consider myself a moderate politically and have a growing disdain for corporate America but your perspective is crazy IMO.

You would regulate the channel from which manufacturers distribute their products? I consider myself a moderate politically and have a growing disdain for corporate America but your perspective is crazy IMO.

If don't do it that way, it will probably move everything to the middle class.  Now I'm not talking about the American middle class, I'm talking about the world's middle class.  Everything will be manufactured, stored and sold in the cheapest way possible at a price point that is as high as they can get people to pay.  That means more jobs going overseas to the cheaper workers, using direct shipping, selling everything on the internet where you only need a few it people in the sales force to make sure that the computers are working.  You won't have to worry about opening up stores anymore because that overhead will become unnecessary.  I just don't think it is too much to ask of a company that if they are wanting to do business in a particular place, they invest in that place.

You are talking about implementing protectionist measures that are proven to be inefficient and drains capital out of the economy. You are targeting a company that is implementing a business model that's goal is to compete with cheap labor overseas and keep good paying jobs in the US.