Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

~ doggEstyle ~

Which MWC school is doing more with less (athletic revenues)

Which MWC school is doing more with less athletic revenue?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which MWC school is doing more with less athletic revenue?

• Utah State
    • SJSU
    • Nevada
    • Wyoming
    • Fresno State

It still blows me away that UNLV is at 64 million, you would think they would dominate the MWC in mulltiple sports. (I assume they make a ton from basketball)

lobo-budget1-640x387.jpg

Credit to abqjournal.com

fresno_50.gif 2014 Fresno State Bulldogs have officially rolled over fresno_50.gif

Anyone have more up to date AD budgets?

From those figures our AD budget has been raised $5mil from when Jack Graham started...

It's probably more like $8mil now

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

I'd be interested to hear more about how the revenue from the T&M is handled at UNLV.

Certainly the Athletic Dept is not using all the money from concerts and events.

Does that money dump back to the University pot or what?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I'd be interested to hear more about how the revenue from the T&M is handled at UNLV.

Certainly the Athletic Dept is not using all the money from concerts and events.

Does that money dump back to the University pot or what?

That's the 64 million dollar question.

The T&M used to have it's own budget and was considered it's own entity. A few years ago it was changed to be a part of UNLV's athletic department with it's own budget. So it looks like UNLV's athletic department is loaded with cash but most of it is for the T&M. That's why UNLV only had a 841,020 surplus last year. I can tell you for a fact that UNLV didn't spend 63 million on it's athletics.

2me1q87.jpg

That's the 64 million dollar question.

The T&M used to have it's own budget and was considered it's own entity. A few years ago it was changed to be a part of UNLV's athletic department with it's own budget. So it looks like UNLV's athletic department is loaded with cash but most of it is for the T&M. That's why UNLV only had a 841,020 surplus last year. I can tell you for a fact that UNLV didn't spend 63 million on it's athletics.

Hey, we're talking 'Vegas here where money laundering is a way of life.  LOL

Anyone have more up to date AD budgets?

From those figures our AD budget has been raised $5mil from when Jack Graham started...

It's probably more like $8mil now

That is the most up to date information.  New figures will not be available until after the end of fiscal year accounting has been done.  I believe the end of the fiscal year was June 30th...

There are only 5 choices yet there are 11 FT members of this conference. WTF?

I will guess in the case of SDSU, our $40 million budget is not in the "less" category ...

EDIT: ... now about that doing less with more category

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

I will guess in the case of SDSU, our $40 million budget is not in the "less" category ...

IIRC, SDSU was #39 nationally in CBS' weighted Director's Cup formula. So although we were once awful, I'd say we're accomplishing a lot with the revenue we have. Maybe the most of anybody in this conference last year. Certainly nobody else has both the best 3-4 football and basketball programs, although Boise is close.

Boom goes the dynamite.

IIRC, SDSU was #39 nationally in CBS' weighted Director's Cup formula. So although we were once awful, I'd say we're accomplishing a lot with the revenue we have. Maybe the most of anybody in this conference last year. Certainly nobody else has both the best 3-4 football and basketball programs, although Boise is close.

yes ... and we are certainly doing a lot with what we have, but our revenues are middle of the conference

UNLV says there's some accounting excess regarding T&M rolled into their budget -- not sure what's up with New Mexico's budget

if those 2 budgets are adjusted down, I think Boise and SDSU move to the top of the list ...

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Nevada and it's not even remotely close. The directors cup is garbage. Which low budget schools have done the best in FB and BB in the last 5 to 7 years? There's only one school that was ranked #9 in BB and #11 FB in that time frame? No low budget schools were anywhere near that.

In fact, the only other non-AQ that was right there with Nevada was BYU. And there were only 17 other big budget P5's that did it.

kat.jpg

yes ... and we are certainly doing a lot with what we have, but our revenues are middle of the conference

UNLV says there's some accounting excess regarding T&M rolled into their budget -- not sure what's up with New Mexico's budget

if those 2 budgets are adjusted down, I think Boise and SDSU move to the top of the list ...

Our revenue is demonstrative of a team who is just getting used to drawing any demand, and even then, it is only for one sport, where demand surpasses supply.  But, we have not gone to the extreme and have been careful with the increases in ticket prices for our basketball.  Nothing we can do about football, our demand will never exceed supply, so long as we are playing in the Q.  It's just a fact we have to deal with.

It still blows me away that UNLV is at 64 million, you would think they would dominate the MWC in mulltiple sports. (I assume they make a ton from basketball)

This has been covered multiple times on this board and yet the question keeps getting raised. It was ruled a few years ago that since the T&M Center is owned and operated by UNLV, that it must be shown on the school's books. The amount of money allocated to athletics is estimated to be somewhere from $29M-$32M, depending on what source one quotes, the remainder is taken up by the operating cost of the events held at T&M. The profit from the revenue generated by events at T&M is included in the athletics budget.

Our revenue is demonstrative of a team who is just getting used to drawing any demand, and even then, it is only for one sport, where demand surpasses supply.  But, we have not gone to the extreme and have been careful with the increases in ticket prices for our basketball.  Nothing we can do about football, our demand will never exceed supply, so long as we are playing in the Q.  It's just a fact we have to deal with.

No doubt with the Q as our home field we will always have excess supply ... heck, the Chargers can't even fill that thing -- but if we could consistently sell 40K at an avg of $15-$20 per ticket, that would be a major boost to our revenue.  Our current season ticket holders number's around 18K and we're selling an avg of 25K per game (30K+ when you add the free tix for the announced attendance).  Add more and better bowl games as the program continues to improve (and maybe an access bowl payout too) and our revenues will keep getting better.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

No doubt with the Q as our home field we will always have excess supply ... heck, the Chargers can't even fill that thing -- but if we could consistently sell 40K at an avg of $15-$20 per ticket, that would be a major boost to our revenue.  Our current season ticket holders number's around 18K and we're selling an avg of 25K per game (30K+ when you add the free tix for the announced attendance).  Add more and better bowl games as the program continues to improve (and maybe an access bowl payout too) and our revenues will keep getting better.

It will always be a volume increase, I agree.  This is where my disdain for SDSU athletic marketing  comes into play.  Either way, I think Fresno has done very well with what they have, and Nevada is hard to give props to, looking at Director's Cup, but they put out a tough product consistently, with a small budget.  Respectable to say the least.

Nevada and it's not even remotely close. The directors cup is garbage. Which low budget schools have done the best in FB and BB in the last 5 to 7 years? There's only one school that was ranked #9 in BB and #11 FB in that time frame? No low budget schools were anywhere near that.

In fact, the only other non-AQ that was right there with Nevada was BYU. And there were only 17 other big budget P5's that did it.

Whenever someone uses a weird number like 7 years I get skeptical.

Why not say 5 or 10 and just go with that.

In fact, 10 years is pretty much an epoch in College sports these days. What do your numbers look like if you limit the parameters to 5 instead of 5-7?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

No we don't do more with less. In the last 5 years we have had one good run in football and that's because of Ault and a special team that was put together. Basketball has done absolutely nothing in that time frame, zero NCAA appearances, 1 conference championship (WAC). No conference tournament championships. I originally voted for Nevada then tought about it and said no we suck. Our revenue sports have been mediocre & our Olympic sports have been terrible.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

No we don't do more with less. In the last 5 years we have had one good run in football and that's because of Ault and a special team that was put together. Basketball has done absolutely nothing in that time frame, zero NCAA appearances, 1 conference championship (WAC). No conference tournament championships. I originally voted for Nevada then tought about it and said no we suck. Our revenue sports have been mediocre & our Olympic sports have been terrible.

png4av26rsl9yhnbmik8.gif

Of course you're right.

Yep. Not long ago I would have said we do more with less, but not now. It's going to take a few years for Knuth to turn groth's mess.