Warbow

Hawaii's home is in MWC, its chief assures

There has been speculation that Brigham Young, which left the MWC to become independent in football three years ago, eventually would be interested in rejoining. BYU is one of eight charter members that broke away from the Western Athletic Conference to form the MWC in 1999. Thompson said he did not want to go into "hypotheticals" should BYU show an interest. The MWC currently has 12 football teams. Thompson insisted the league probably would consider adding two teams — to expand to 14 in football — "before there'd be losing a member to make way for a 12th."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspremium/20140723__uh_football_Hawaiis_home_is_in_MWC_its_chief_assures.html?id=268249102

Thompson said UH's ties with the Hawaii Bowl, the Hawaii exemption that allows visiting teams to play a 13th regular-season game, and "for many other reasons, you know, makes a lot of sense" why UH is a valued member.

Thompson emphasized UH has had an association with several MWC members dating more than three decades.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Our association with Hawai'i goes back well beyond three decades.  Our football team was there on December 7, 1941 and did not return (at least as a team).  

Wait.... what's the story with this ? 

Edit: nevermind, I just read about the courage displayed by both SJSU and Williamette football players in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Guest #1Stunner

It wouldn't be Mountain West Media day without Hair Thompson bringing up BYU:

User Actions

Follow

EIegZax8_bigger.jpegLya Wodraska@LyaWodraska

Thompson notes several MWC teams playing BYU, but no "nailed down discussions" of BYU joining the league

https://twitter.com/LyaWodraska/status/491731333626880000

Hair Thompson loves discussing BYU almost as much as I do.

Guest #1Stunner

It wouldn't be Mountain West media days without a BYU mention

As long as BYU is an independent team there will be talks about them rejoining the Mountain West, or on the BYU side getting that elusive invite to the Big 12. Commissioner Craig Thompson had his state of the conference address on the first day of Mountain West media days and he went over plenty of different topics, including conference realignment thus sparing a few questions about the former conference member.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/mountain-west-football/2014/7/23/5929545/craig-thompson-mountain-west-media-days-BYU

It wouldn't be Mountain West Media day without Hair Thompson bringing up BYU:

User Actions

Follow

EIegZax8_bigger.jpegLya Wodraska@LyaWodraska

Thompson notes several MWC teams playing BYU, but no "nailed down discussions" of BYU joining the league

https://twitter.com/LyaWodraska/status/491731333626880000

Hair Thompson loves discussing BYU almost as much as I do.

It was a Nevada reporter that asked about BYU, otherwise he wouldn't have commented on BYU.

Pearl Harbor.  Many SJSU players stayed to volunteer/help/fight, several actually made Hawaii their permanent home after the fact.

Thanks, I actually edited my post probably while you were quoting mine, pretty incredible. I am a WWII history buff but I never knew this. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

"Jay asks if UH is committed enough to compete in FBS."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y&id=267837381

Warbow,

Since this article is locked out, can you see what this is about?  I see the Budget is being cut for the next 2 years.

What date was that acticle from? I log in for that acticle but it takes me to todays paper. I remember reading that, he basically said everyone has to do their part in reducing the budget by 2 million per year.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Warbow..What do you think about this commitment to the MW?

Commitment by who, the MWC or Hawaii?

The MWC is not committed to Hawaii nor is Hawaii committed to the MWC. If they were committed to each other then Hawaii would have all of it's sports in the MWC.

"Thompson also said UH's arrangement with the MWC "works pretty well." He said UH's non-football sports do not need to join the league. "We've got plenty of scheduling" in non-football sports, Thompson said. "A lot of these schools, there's a continuity of geography — two hours (driving) away here, four hours here." Thompson also said he does not anticipate any change in the deal in which UH keeps the $2.3 million it receives annually from the pay-per-view contract while forgoing a share of the MWC's television deals.

"It's really a balance," Thompson said".

The only commitment I can see is the commitment to continue to suck in money from travel subs and OUR TV deal. The MWC's commitment to coat-tail ride Hawaii like it did BYU for years.

What date was that acticle from? I log in for that acticle but it takes me to todays paper. I remember reading that, he basically said everyone has to do their part in reducing the budget by 2 million per year.

July 20th.  Ferd's Word section.

Things aren't the same for any conference when the most hated school is no longer part of the conference.

BYU needs to swallow its pride and realize that neither the Pac-12 or Big 12 will take them in anytime soon and simply rejoin the MWC.

Assuming that BYU rejoins along with New Mexico State (Idaho would be sent back to FCS), this is how the MWC would look like:

West: Hawaii, SJSU, Frenso State, SDSU, UNLV, Nevada, and Boise State.

Mountain: BYU, USU, Wyo, CSU, AFA, UNM, and NMSU.

I believe BYU's contract with the WCC is for five years.  That means BYU would be able to rejoin for '16-17.

Commitment by who, the MWC or Hawaii?

The MWC is not committed to Hawaii nor is Hawaii committed to the MWC. If they were committed to each other then Hawaii would have all of it's sports in the MWC.

"Thompson also said UH's arrangement with the MWC "works pretty well." He said UH's non-football sports do not need to join the league. "We've got plenty of scheduling" in non-football sports, Thompson said. "A lot of these schools, there's a continuity of geography — two hours (driving) away here, four hours here." Thompson also said he does not anticipate any change in the deal in which UH keeps the $2.3 million it receives annually from the pay-per-view contract while forgoing a share of the MWC's television deals.

"It's really a balance," Thompson said".

The only commitment I can see is the commitment to continue to suck in money from travel subs and OUR TV deal. The MWC's commitment to coat-tail ride Hawaii like it did BYU for years.

I don't think Hawaii ever had any interest in a full membership..The Big West makes huge sense, especially for the non revenue sports..I do think Hawaii is in a good position to renegotiate on the subsidies..

The MW likes 12 schools for football and there are no other viable candidates at the moment who might have interest in replacing Hawaii..Seems to me the time to strike is while the iron is hot..

How much would stopping the travel subs help?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Things aren't the same for any conference when the most hated school is no longer part of the conference.

BYU needs to swallow its pride and realize that neither the Pac-12 or Big 12 will take them in anytime soon and simply rejoin the MWC.

Assuming that BYU rejoins along with New Mexico State (Idaho would be sent back to FCS), this is how the MWC would look like:

West: Hawaii, SJSU, Frenso State, SDSU, UNLV, Nevada, and Boise State.

Mountain: BYU, USU, Wyo, CSU, AFA, UNM, and NMSU.

I believe BYU's contract with the WCC is for five years.  That means BYU would be able to rejoin for '16-17.

Go eff yourself.  

You need to swallow your pride and go to the Sun Belt and give your spot that you didn't earn to some other more deserving team that has an actual athletic dept committed to playing sports at a high level.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg