Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reb Baron

MWC Basketball Games

Who Wins?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. TCU @ Utah

• Horned Frogs
    • Running Utes
  2. 2. UNLV @ SDSU

• Runnin' Rebels
    • Aztecs
  3. 3. UNM @ BYU

• Lobos
    • Cougars

TCU Horned Frogs (11-7, 3-2 MWC) 58

Utah Running Utes (11-7, 2-3 MWC) 74 <<<

Final

Colorado State Rams (6-13, 0-5 MWC) 58

Wyoming Cowboys (7-11, 1-5 MWC) 73 <<<

Final

UNLV Runnin' Rebels (15-4, 4-1 MWC) 72 <<<

San Diego State Aztecs (14-6, 4-2 MWC) 69

Final

New Mexico Lobos (16-5, 3-3 MWC) 66

Brigham Young Cougars (15-5, 4-1 MWC) 83 <<<

Final

2me1q87.jpg

Cougs (I just don't see the Lobos winning in Provo, and the streak extends to 42.......WHEN IT SHOULD'VE ENDED AT 40 :angry: ....oh well....on to the Rebs :P )

Wyo

Utes (Sorry Froggies, you're boys are playing great as of late, but I'm not sure you've got enough to win at the Huntsman Center).

AZTECS!!! Yeah, a bit of a homer pick, and it will likely go down to the wire, but I think we hold serve at Cox. That said, this is the game I've really been looking forward to. There are just so many similarities between our two teams, our strengths and weaknesses are pretty much the same....It's gonna be a dogfight! I'm real curious to see how we match up against each other.

"Once an Aztec, Always an Aztec"

CSU Fresno: Accepting SDSU's sloppy seconds since 1911.

3 big games tomorrow!

The SDSU/UNLV game is going to be a good one. I have a feeling that this one goes down to the wire. SDSU clearly has more offensive firepower but UNLV has the better defense. It will be fun. I would say the edge goes to SDSU being on their home floor but expect UNLV to come out with a lot of fire.

3 big games tomorrow!

The SDSU/UNLV game is going to be a good one. I have a feeling that this one goes down to the wire. SDSU clearly has more offensive firepower but UNLV has the better defense. It will be fun. I would say the edge goes to SDSU being on their home floor but expect UNLV to come out with a lot of fire.

Montana Reb.......A "Rocker" at Cox Arena tomorrow afternoon.

Utah 74, TCU 58

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Johnnie Bryant scored 24 points on a school-record eight three-pointers as Utah beat TCU 74-58 on Saturday.

The Utes (11-7, 2-3 Mountain West) shot 14 three-pointers in all, snapping a three-game losing streak that included two overtime losses and one in the final seconds against rival Brigham Young.

Brent Hackett scored 15 points for TCU, but the Horned Frogs (11-7, 3-2) did not make a basket for more than seven minutes into the game. They missed their first seven shots and committing five turnovers in that span, and had their three-game winning streak snapped.

The Utes built a 14-1 lead by the time Hackett finally hit a jumper with 12:48 left before halftime.

The Frogs had scored their first point on a Kevin Langford free throw with 15:51 left.

The Utes, however, quickly extended their lead to 20-3 when Bryant buried back-to-back three-pointers.

TCU cut the lead to 40-32 early in the second half, but the Utes responded by scoring 10 straight points to regain control. Bryant had two more three-pointers in that stretch, and the Utes shot 53 percent from the field overall.

Luke Nevill and Shaun Green each added 16 points for the Utes, while Langford had 14 for TCU. Leading scorer Henry Salter scored just six points on 2-for-9 shooting for the Horned Frogs.

2me1q87.jpg

3 big games tomorrow!

I would say that UNLV and SDSU are identical defensively. UNLV has better perimeter shooting and SDSU has a better post game.

I would say that UNLV and SDSU are identical defensively. UNLV has better perimeter shooting and SDSU has a better post game.

On a neutral court, they probably are identical. They forced at least 14 TO's on us though, and I don't think we got s many off them. They are faster than us for sure. Very good defensive game.

3 point shooting defense notwithstanding. Unlv 10-21 behind the arc. unacceptable if you want to win

If you just look at the stats, I could agree, but almost all of our attempts were highly contested. We are an extremely streaky 3 point team. Today we happened to be on. Honestly,I think that is the best defense we faced all year including Louisville and Arizona. Your guys fly to the ball.

I guess we saw it differently. I thought we were slow rotating to the ball. I thought there were alot of clear looks.

If you just look at the stats, I could agree, but almost all of our attempts were highly contested.

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

Wyoming 73, Colorado St. 58

LARAMIE, Wyo. (AP) -- Travis Nelson came off the bench to score 16 points and pull down nine rebounds as Wyoming beat Colorado State 73-58 on Saturday.

With 14:24 left to play, Marcus Walker scored 12 points during a 14-5 CSU run that cut the Cowboys' lead to 38-37. But Wyoming (7-11, 1-5 Mountain West Conference) kept out of reach.

Nelson and forward Joseph Taylor scored 10 of Wyoming's next 13 points and Brad Jones hit a 3-pointer for a 54-45 Cowboys lead with 5:10 left.

Brandon Ewing scored six points in the final minute to seal the win.

Ewing finished with 19 points and Taylor added 14 points and eight rebounds for Wyoming.

The Rams (6-13, 0-5) began the game with two 3-pointers toward a 12-5 lead. Wyoming got ahead 31-19 on a 26-7 run that included eight points by Nelson.

The Cowboys led 33-23 at halftime.

2me1q87.jpg

UNLV 72, San Diego St. 69

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Joe Darger scored 19 points and Curtis Terry hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 26.2 seconds left to lead Nevada Las Vegas to a 72-69 win over San Diego State on Saturday.

UNLV (15-4, 4-1 Mountain West) won for eighth time in nine games and moved one-half game ahead of San Diego State into first place.

The Aztecs (14-6, 4-2 MWC) suffered consecutive losses for the first time in 34 games. San Diego State was coming off a 59-56 loss at Brigham Young on Wednesday.

Terry hit the deciding 3-pointer from the top of the key, his second 3-point shot in the final 2:18, to put the Runnin' Rebels ahead 72-69. Terry, who finished with 10 points, made a 3-pointer at the 2:18 mark to give UNLV a 67-63 lead.

San Diego State missed two 3-point attempts in the final 12.2 seconds.

UNLV led the entire game except for a 29-second span in the first half. But the game was close throughout with the Runnin' Rebels' biggest lead being nine points 4 1/2 minutes into the second half.

San Diego State twice tied the game in the final two minutes. The first time at 67-all on Billy White's rebound basket of a missed free throw with 1:53 remaining. Kyle Spain hit two free throws to tie the score 69-69 with 45.5 seconds left.

Darger, who made three 3-point shots, also had a game-high 10 rebounds. Corey Bailey chipped in 15 points, making all six field-goal attempts.

Ryan Amoroso paced San Diego State with 15 points and Spain added 13.

2me1q87.jpg

BYU 83, New Mexico 66

PROVO, Utah (AP) -- Lee Cummard scored 20 points and Jonathan Tavernari added 19 to lead Brigham Young past New Mexico 83-66 Saturday.

BYU (15-5, 4-1 Mountain West) wasted no time securing its 42nd consecutive home win in front of a season high 19,932 fans.

The Cougars trailed New Mexico (16-5, 3-3) at 2-0, but after Sam Burgess connected on a 3-pointer to give BYU a 5-2 lead they never trailed again.

Burgess gave BYU a hot start by scoring all nine of his first half points in the first five minutes of the game. Then it was Tavernari's turn. He followed with 16 first-half points as the Cougars took a commanding 44-24 lead at the break.

BYU shot 51 percent overall for the game and was 13-of-16 from behind the 3-point line, including 5-of-6 from long range by Tavernari and 3-of-3 from Burgess. New Mexico shot 27 percent in the first half including 1-of-5 from beyond the 3-point line and 34 percent for the game.

Chad Toppert hit a 3-pointer for the Lobos to begin the second half, but it was all BYU after that. Cummard's 3-pointer with 16:00 remaining gave the Cougars a 57-32 lead.

Burgess finished with 15 points for the Cougars while Trent Plaisted added 13 points and pulled down 13 rebounds.

Gary Dairese led the Lobos with 17 points along with Daniel Faris and Darren Prentice with 12 and 10 points respectively.

2me1q87.jpg