Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Rank em

BSU

CSU/USU (don't think CSU is better, but they got the win at home so I'd give them a slight leg up if I had to)

UNR

SJSU

SDSU

FSU

AFA

WYO

Hawaii

UNLV

UNM

Yeah, you have to.  That's how it works.

Just messing with you.  Great game, and your defense comes as advertised.  I'll be an Aggie fan the rest of this season, you guys sold me.

Yeah, you have to.  That's how it works.

Just messing with you.  Great game, and your defense comes as advertised.  I'll be an Aggie fan the rest of this season, you guys sold me.

It was a great game. Love to see that kind of atmosphere and rivalry-game type scenario coming into the MWC. Wish we hadn't had to use Harrison, but our offense wasn't setting the world on fire before he went down anyway.

1170800_10200498052574398_877465568_n.jp

YPP, sacks, tfl, turnovers forced?

Defensive TD,s and safeties. Red zone stops, defensive TD's allowed per game. (excluding kick-off and punt returns).

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Defensive TD,s and safeties. Red zone stops, defensive TD's allowed per game. (excluding kick-off and punt returns).

What's your point? That things like yards per play, sacks/tfl and turnovers forced aren't the best way to measure a teams defense?

What about an offense that gives up defensive td's, safeties, etc? Should those points count against that teams defense? Or special teams failures (poor punts, coverage, missed field goals, etc.)? I'm not saying this is the case with USU, or SDSU, but it's certainly an aspect of PPG allowed.

Yards per play by a defense is a far more effective way of analyzing defenses. It's like using sabermetrics in baseball versus archaic, basic baseball statistics to analyze players.

USU is at 4.58 ypp (I think that's somewhere around top 20 in the country), and SDSU is at 5.22 (middle of the pack). But if you want to accuse me of cherry picking that stat, we can use things like TFL and Sacks, or turnovers forced. Stats that are often better representative of a teams defense.

Fresno played one less game than Utah State last year and led the league in sacks and had one less TFL and three less picks. Even Fresno fan wouldn't argue that they had the best defense in the MWC last year.

The #1 job of a defense is to stop the other team from scoring. PPG is the best measure of a defense.

What's your point? That things like yards per play, sacks/tfl and turnovers forced aren't the best way to measure a teams defense?

What about an offense that gives up defensive td's, safeties, etc? Should those points count against that teams defense? Or special teams failures (poor punts, coverage, missed field goals, etc.)? I'm not saying this is the case with USU, or SDSU, but it's certainly an aspect of PPG allowed.

Yards per play by a defense is a far more effective way of analyzing defenses. It's like using sabermetrics in baseball versus archaic, basic baseball statistics to analyze players.

USU is at 4.58 ypp (I think that's somewhere around top 20 in the country), and SDSU is at 5.22 (middle of the pack). But if you want to accuse me of cherry picking that stat, we can use things like TFL and Sacks, or turnovers forced. Stats that are often better representative of a teams defense.

I'm disagreeing with the knucklehead who measures the "best defense" by PPG.

I would also use YPP as the best measuring stick for a defense.

The NCAA should change the scoring system they use. Instead of giving a team 6 points for a defensive TD and 2 points for a safety they should minus 7 and 2 points from the team that it was scored on. Also The closer the FG the more points a team should get. A FG from 40 plus yards should be just 1 point, from 30-39 -- 2 points, 20-29 3 points, 10-19 -- 4 points, 1-9 5 points.

These changes would give defensive stats a better indication of good or bad they are.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Fresno played one less game than Utah State last year and led the league in sacks and had one less TFL and three less picks. Even Fresno fan wouldn't argue that they had the best defense in the MWC last year.

The #1 job of a defense is to stop the other team from scoring. PPG is the best measure of a defense.

The #1 job of a defense is to get the ball back to their offense in good field position.

Yeah their secondary was atrocious and I bet their YPP was near the bottom of the league. YPP is far and away the best measure. PPG comes after, right along with things like turnovers forced, sacks, tfl, etc.

I'm disagreeing with the knucklehead who measures the "best defense" by PPG.

I would also use YPP as the best measuring stick for a defense.

The NCAA should change the scoring system they use. Instead of giving a team 6 points for a defensive TD and 2 points for a safety they should minus 7 and 2 points from the team that it was scored on. Also The closer the FG the more points a team should get. A FG from 40 plus yards should be just 1 point, from 30-39 -- 2 points, 20-29 3 points, 10-19 -- 4 points, 1-9 5 points.

These changes would give defensive stats a better indication of good or bad they are.

Oh ok. Sorry about the animosity then, I wasn't sure if you were agreeing or not.

When it is looked at in proper context in regards to competition, sure.

That's a bonus. Not letting the other team score is job one.

How do you account for Missed FG's and dropped TD Passes and fumbles. PPG is a measuring stick for an offense not defense. the # 1 job of a defense is to help your offense score points the easliest way possible with filed position. The object of football is to score more points than the other team. There's no ties in college football so a game can't end 0 to 0.

BSU

CSU/USU (don't think CSU is better, but they got the win at home so I'd give them a slight leg up if I had to)

UNR

SJSU

SDSU

FSU

AFA

WYO

Hawaii

UNLV

UNM

LOL, they just beat you in a head to head matchup.  How much more evidence do you need that they're the better team?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Yeah their secondary was atrocious and I bet their YPP was near the bottom of the league. YPP is far and away the best measure. PPG comes after, right along with things like turnovers forced, sacks, tfl, etc.

Nope, it wasn't, it was actually 4th.

PPG is far and away the best measure.

1. BSU

2. Nevada

3. AFA

4. SJSU

5. SDSU

6. CSU  (When you make it the red zone 1 time against an average defense you can't be any higher, win or lose)

7. Wyoming

8.  Hawaii

9.  Fresno

10.  UNLV

11.  New Mexico

12.  USU (When Craig Harrison is your QB and you lose to a Bubbles and Grayson team that makes it to the red zone one time...)

1. BSU

2. Nevada

3. AFA

4. SJSU

5. SDSU

6. CSU  (When you make it the red zone 1 time against an average defense you can't be any higher, win or lose)

7. Wyoming

8.  Hawaii

9.  Fresno

10.  UNLV

11.  New Mexico

12.  USU (When Craig Harrison is your QB and you lose to a Bubbles and Grayson team that makes it to the red zone one time...)

ROLFLMAO!!

ROLFLMAO!!

Its true.  How USU managed to lose Saturday is beyond me.   One trip to the red zone on Grey's idiotic patty cake shove, a hail mary whiffed by the safety, and a stud FG kicker and  that's enough to beat us.  Grayson was the same pathetic Grayson he's always been against the Aggies.  Bubbles was predictable.  The Aggies were worse.     I'll rank you number 1 if you are more convincing against Wyoming.

I am sorry.  I hear the hype about the offense, see the stats but I've only really watched against the Aggies and you guys never look the part.   Grayson did the best job yet though and avoided throwing into coverage and had a three really critical scrambles for first down.  Other than that CSU didn't look much like a 6-1 team.