Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rocket

Wyoming Vs. San Jose State

I think 6,000 ft. is my max if I go up slow, ....real slow. There's this place up in the Sierra's, behind Yosemite where the challenge is to catch 4 trout but it has to be 1 brook, 1 german (speckled), 1 rainbow and 1 brown all in the same day. You get a t-shirt if you complete the challenge. That place is 10,000 ft. I tried it and experienced the worst elevation sickness I ever had, vomited all over the place.  :(

Yes, but May would give Cowboys a more completed set of RB.

Agreed.....I'd like to see Brian Hill get more touches though.   He probably will tomorrow.

... Wyo depends so much on the RBs. Hoping for the best.

Maybe tomorrow is the day they just hand the ball off the Wick.   Give him the ball 30 times and control the clock. 

My old azz wakes up and drives four hours, snowboards thru Sierra cement at 10,000 ft+ elevation til the lifts close, then drives four hrs back home to sea level. If I can do all that I think kids who've been working out all summer can chase a ball around for three hours at a place that's 1500 feet lower than the parking lot at kirkwood

Well Cuz. We will see. I do think this altitude thing gets overblown. I am 70 Yrs and cando a streneous hike over 5K feet and feel about the same as I do at sea level. Max I havedone in the past several years is about 6K. When I was 20 years old I did not even noticealtitude or think about it, and doubt that the Spartan players will even notice it. Problem is, the enemy tries to make you think it makes a difference. If you have a health issue yes it could stress you. There should be no issues with a healthy young athlete. Play the game as you always do. This is Wyoming not Mt. Everest after all.

Well Cuz. We will see. I do think this altitude thing gets overblown. I am 70 Yrs and cando a streneous hike over 5K feet and feel about the same as I do at sea level. Max I havedone in the past several years is about 6K. When I was 20 years old I did not even noticealtitude or think about it, and doubt that the Spartan players will even notice it. Problem is, the enemy tries to make you think it makes a difference. If you have a health issue yes it could stress you. There should be no issues with a healthy young athlete. Play the game as you always do. This is Wyoming not Mt. Everest after all.

There's about as much or more difference in altitude between 5000 feet and 7000. Cross country and swimming give you extra time at altitude because it isn't possible to perform at the same level with less oxygen. We're not saying it's impossible to move in Laramie, but it's definitely a disadvantage for kids in their tippy top shape to suddenly have 80% the oxygen they're used to. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Good for you, but the altitude does matter.  Ask any rookie or new FA that becomes a Denver Bronco.  I agree that altitude teams tend to exaggerate it to get in the other teams head a little, but it really does tend to show up in the fourth quarter.  Spartans getting in 24 hrs early will help a lot, but it does take a little longer than that to fully acclimate.  Not a total game changer, or Wyo would never lose to anyone other than UNM or USU, but those plays when the DL are normally standing with their hands on their hips are magnified.

Good for you, but the altitude does matter.  Ask any rookie or new FA that becomes a Denver Bronco.  I agree that altitude teams tend to exaggerate it to get in the other teams head a little, but it really does tend to show up in the fourth quarter.  Spartans getting in 24 hrs early will help a lot, but it does take a little longer than that to fully acclimate.  Not a total game changer, or Wyo would never lose to anyone other than UNM or USU, but those plays when the DL are normally standing with their hands on their hips are magnified.

To get used to it without huffing and puffing with a light workout takes around 2-3 weeks. After that, they're pretty well acclimated. And with us running a power run offense that tries to eat up a lot of the clock, I think SJSU's front 7 will be feeling that altitude in the 4th.

15533747926_71c3253333_o.jpg

Nice graphic presentation. Should be a good game.  B)

To get used to it without huffing and puffing with a light workout takes around 2-3 weeks. After that, they're pretty well acclimated. And with us running a power run offense that tries to eat up a lot of the clock, I think SJSU's front 7 will be feeling that altitude in the 4th.

Like I said, it's not the game changer all by itself, but it matters.  I live just under 5K and can hunt all day at 9K, but racing my kid for 50 yds at that altitude leaves both of us hurting.  Me far more than him, because there is no way I'm in as good condition as him. 

LIving at 7,000 feet is an unquestionable advantage, exercising at that altitude is a huge difference.  No way sea level FB players get their arse kicked like I do because of altitude due to their conditioning, but then again there is no way they don't feel it.  I'd say it's about recovery tme, it just takes longer to recover from exertion if your body isn't already in the process of creating more RBC's to compensate for the lower level of oxygen that each RBC can carry.

Oxygen availability to the muscles doesn't trump talent IMO, but it does have an impact over the course of a FB game.

Having gone to Boulder for a couple of years, I can attest to the difficulty of adjusting to the elevation change when pushing oneself.  Back in the day I was a decent enough athlete (meaning I have a pretty good ticker, if you will), but I remember it taking me a couple of weeks to truly adjust to 5,200+ feet, let alone 7,000+ feet.  I didn't notice much of a difference when I went to the 1992 SJSU-WYO game in Laramie (Joe Nedney's 60 yard game-winning FG), but sitting on my arse in the stands isn't too taxing, you know?  Also, I had already been in CO for a year-plus.  However, I do recall seeing several older Spartans fans that day who seemingly had some trouble getting up the stairs (winded).   

Anyway, IMO, the elevation change is not to be taken lightly.  I think it's important for SJSU to have a good start and not get too far behind (if at all).  Substitute freely in the first half and then maybe if the 1st string needs to play most or all downs later in the game it isn't so "catastrophic" to their game day endurance.

I hope for a Spartan win, of curse, but here's to a good game with no injuries, 'Pokes...

Having gone to Boulder for a couple of years, I can attest to the difficulty of adjusting to the elevation change when pushing oneself. Back in the day I was a decent enough athlete (meaning I have a pretty good ticker, if you will), but I remember it taking me a couple of weeks to truly adjust to 5,200+ feet, let alone 7,000+ feet. I didn't notice much of a difference when I went to the 1992 SJSU-WYO game in Laramie (Joe Nedney's 60 yard game-winning FG), but sitting on my arse in the stands isn't too taxing, you know? Also, I had already been in CO for a year-plus. However, I do recall seeing several older Spartans fans that day who seemingly had some trouble getting up the stairs (winded).

Anyway, IMO, the elevation change is not to be taken lightly. I think it's important for SJSU to have a good start and not get too far behind (if at all). Substitute freely in the first half and then maybe if the 1st string needs to play most or all downs later in the game it isn't so "catastrophic" to their game day endurance.

I hope for a Spartan win, of curse, but here's to a good game with no injuries, 'Pokes...

I think you've got the right idea with the rotation of players. That should nullify any real or perceived elevation issues. Go Spartans! Go Good Guys!