Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cutlass

Excited for basketball

Basketball is far away right now, so whatever.

Like that sig, though. IMHO Miss WV should have won. Smokeshow.

If you're by chance familiar with the show "Last Week Tonight" on Hobo, the host had a pretty funny take on the Miss America Foundation's claim that they are the "largest provider of scholarships to women in the world."

And until today, their "About Us" page really said "We Fun Scholars." 

Anyway, not sure if anyone was picking up on it or the context, so in light of TiKo Cinco's concern about us being the "flagship" MBB prgram of the MWC, I thought I would revert back to the old siggy to remind him of the New Order.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Not having a PG is a legit concern for SDSU. No way around it.

I doubt Chol will be able to match Davis's defense (team defense and individual), and his rebounding as well.

However, SDSU should have improvements at other positions.

He will be close enough in rebounding and have many more blocked shots which helps close the rest of the defensive gap. His offense will be light years ahead of Davis which changes the overall effect to a net plus. 

PG is a question right now but it is one question that can have many answers. That is so much better than having a single player that must come through. The PG position for the Aztecs isn't one that requires a player to create much, since the Aztecs have many players who create their own shots. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

tiko cinco... very nice

i'm not saying sdsu won't be good this year. i root for the aztecs in every but 3 games out of the season

i'm just simply stating that they have a lot to replace as well. nobody was more important to their team last year than thames AND he happened to be on the best team. replacing him is a question mark. sdsu might have some more pieces than most schools that could answer that question but until it happens, it's still a big question mark wether optimistic aztec fans want to admit it or not 

You're absolutely right, and until we prove otherwise on the court, PG is going to be an unanswered question.

However, I think there is a reason Winston is receiving the hype he has been, and I expect the Winston Shepard Experiment to continue at full throttle this season, at least until one or more of the trio of D'E, AQ, and KZ prove themselves capable of 'managing' the team on court.

And as AztecBill has mentioned, we gain a helluva lot more this year than we lost last season. But nonetheless, you are correct in that the question at the point remains.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Its not concerning that an SDSU team, many have ranked in the top 20, is far and away the frontrunner this year. No, the real concern is that there doesnt seem to be another sure bet tourney team.....thats the real concern.

He will be close enough in rebounding and have many more blocked shots which helps close the rest of the defensive gap. His offense will be light years ahead of Davis which changes the overall effect to a net plus. 

PG is a question right now but it is one question that can have many answers. That is so much better than having a single player that must come through. The PG position for the Aztecs isn't one that requires a player to create much, since the Aztecs have many players who create their own shots. 

I somewhat disagree about SDSU's players able to create their own shots. Its one thing to create a shot, its another thing to create a good shot and make the shot.

JJ can create a shot for himself, but isn't the best finisher.

Shep creates shots sometimes, but also creates horrible shots, and isn't the best finisher.

Polee isn't a shot creator.

So which players do you think create good shots for themselves?

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Its not concerning that an SDSU team, many have ranked in the top 20, is far and away the frontrunner this year. No, the real concern is that there doesnt seem to be another sure bet tourney team.....thats the real concern.

SDSU is the current favorite.......but let's remember a healthy Wyoming team has beat the Aztecs the prior two years.  We have more depth this year, but a lot of Wyoming's success hinges on Larry Nance.    The Pokes still can't afford to lose their best player (has happened two years in a row) and still be a contender...but Shyatt is building something special and I think the Pokes will be in NCAA tourney discussions sooner than later. 

One player that I think can really step up is Dakari Allen. He has the ability to get to the line, but just needs to stay out of foul trouble. Isnt a great shooter either, but not sure he needs to be.

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

polee is the aztec's x-factor this year

if he can maintain his 47/39 splits this next season while playing more minutes and keeping the turnovers low, sdsu will have a good season

i just hope he doesn't fall in love with the 3 ball

If he could just improve his ball handling a tad.

I expect those percentages to go down, but if he can supplement this by getting to the line a little more.

SDSU is the current favorite.......but let's remember a healthy Wyoming team has beat the Aztecs the prior two years. We have more depth this year, but a lot of Wyoming's success hinges on Larry Nance. The Pokes still can't afford to lose their best player (has happened two years in a row) and still be a contender...but Shyatt is building something special and I think the Pokes will be in NCAA tourney discussions sooner than later.

I saw somebody retweet one of Nance's tweets over the weekend...he was very frustrated about not being able to do everything he used to be able to do. I'd find it butch don't have time right now on my phone...I hope he can go.

I saw somebody retweet one of Nance's tweets over the weekend...he was very frustrated about not being able to do everything he used to be able to do. I'd find it butch don't have time right now on my phone...I hope he can go.

I saw the tweet. He did say that. Also said time will tell--he is only about seven months out from surgery. All indications I've seen point to him being ready to go this season, but he and the staff have been very careful to point out that if he can't go 100%, they have no qualms about taking a redshirt year. 

I saw the tweet. He did say that. Also said time will tell--he is only about seven months out from surgery. All indications I've seen point to him being ready to go this season, but he and the staff have been very careful to point out that if he can't go 100%, they have no qualms about taking a redshirt year.

Yup, he's still got a little time... But it's rolling right along, I just hope he's ready.

Yup, he's still got a little time... But it's rolling right along, I just hope he's ready.

No doubt. When he does come back, they'll probably have to put notices up on the new video boards in the A-A reminding everyone to breathe each time he handles the ball, at least initially.

Seems too soon that we're weeks, not months, out from start of practice.

That's only a concern in March, not September. It's too early to bury some of these teams. I would not be surprised to see a UNM or FSU or perhaps UNLV exceed our own preseason expectations. Basketball season is typically full of surprises (good and bad).