Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reb Baron

UNLV gets it's third straight win on Australian tour

Rebels Run Away From Queensland All-Stars

Four players in double figures for UNLV in 20-point win.

June 30, 2008

LAS VEGAS - Four Runnin' Rebels scored in double figures as the UNLV men's basketball team routed the Queensland All-Stars, 96-76, at the Queensland Academy of Sport's Athletics Centre on Monday night.

Wink Adams led all scorers with 24 points - 17 in the second half - as UNLV led by as many as 35 points. Joe Darger added 17 points, while Tre'Von Willis and Mareceo Rutledge each added 14, helping UNLV to a 3-1 record and its third straight win on its Australian tour.

Beas Hamga had a game-high tying eight rebounds for the Runnin' Rebels, while Ren

2me1q87.jpg

This is turning out to be a great tour for UNLV. They only took 8 players but the growth they are making as a team from game to game is huge. Beas is starting to play a lot better with decent stat lines ( approx. 8 points, 8 rebounds, 2-3 blocks/game) for a freshman and they team is starting to work it inside more opening up the three point threat even more. 13 three pointers last night from the international three point line (which is the same as the new college line) is impressive and a result of finally having a big man that other teams see as a threat. The player that I am impressed with the most (other than Wink) is Memphis transfer Tre'von WIllis. He is quick, can shoot (averaging over 15 points/game on the tour), and can run the point pretty well for a Sophomore.

I like these summer tours because it helps the team get an early start and six good games prior to the season. It's too bad they can only do this once every four years.

If I remember right BYU played in the Bahamas last year and I'm sure it helped them equally as much.

I'll be curious to see how much better the team gets when the new recruits come to campus next month. We still have another beast coming in 6'10" Brice Massamba who will see plenty of time backing up Beas this year.

I was extremely impressed with what I read about our play down under. I am starting to see Elite 8 this year. I was most impressed with Mo Rutledge's stat lines. He looks like he is having a Wendell White type transformation. I am also impressed that Hamga seems to be getting his fair share of rebounds and blocks consistently, which is pretty much all that is expected from him this year. Rougeau, Rutledge and of course Wink look to have big years this year. Darger will have a little more offensive production as well. Willis seems to be the unknown. His play looks solid but streaky, at least from the few games reported so far. At least I hear he is fast, and speed has been missing at the point. I'm concerned about TO's though.

I really think this whole experience will benefit Hamga and Willis tremendously. I also think we will actually greatly miss Rutledge come this time next year. UNLV is now back on the radar, but I still think we will end up suprising a lot of the talking heads come March.

I was extremely impressed with what I read about our play down under. I am starting to see Elite 8 this year. I was most impressed with Mo Rutledge's stat lines. He looks like he is having a Wendell White type transformation. I am also impressed that Hamga seems to be getting his fair share of rebounds and blocks consistently, which is pretty much all that is expected from him this year. Rougeau, Rutledge and of course Wink look to have big years this year. Darger will have a little more offensive production as well. Willis seems to be the unknown. His play looks solid but streaky, at least from the few games reported so far. At least I hear he is fast, and speed has been missing at the point. I'm concerned about TO's though.

I really think this whole experience will benefit Hamga and Willis tremendously. I also think we will actually greatly miss Rutledge come this time next year. UNLV is now back on the radar, but I still think we will end up suprising a lot of the talking heads come March.

Elite 8?

UNLV will be lucky to make the NCAA Tournament again.

Luck only lasts so long. You need talent to be competitive year in and year out. Kruger doesn't have it.

Homecourt he does have so another lucky run in the MWC Tournament may get us in. A TCU loss last year in the 1st Round and Kruger is on the chopping block right now. PURE LUCK is all that saved him.

Won't last forever.

This is a post from an Aussie fan that went to the game last night, looks like he's a better fan of the Rebels than you will ever be Robert.

Well, Qld Select was no match for UNLV last night, but i'm glad I went! UNLV was definitely worth watching!! Defensively they're great and they shot the lights out last night. I heard after the game Wink Adams hit 10 of his 11 shots and everyone else hit their shots it they had any room to move. Adams did a sweet crossover to shake Steve Broom at one stage

Qld select hadn't played together before so there were some messy turnovers and things like that, but a fair bit of that looked to be a result of UNLV's defense. They own the passing lanes and picked off a heap of passes. I can't remember the final score but the visitors had an easy win. Thalo Green and Steve Broom were probably the best for Qld Select. Jason Aucoin got into a 'dispute' with one of the visitors and I think he ended up with two tech fouls in the end.

I loved the fans they have with them too. They just love their team and its amazing to think they've travelled all this way to watch them. They must have 50 people just following them on the tour. I had a chat to some of the fans and players after the game and they're all enjoying the trip. It was awesome to watch them play, having grown up in the era of LJ, Augmon and the Tark.

They play South West Pirates tonight at QSAC at QeII stadium at 730 and then travel up to Cairns. Get along to either game because I can guarantee you'll enjoy watching UNLV play. It's cool just to soak up the atmosphere their fans create and all their players are great to watch and they're nice guys. Sorry if I sound like an awestruck kid, but well, I feel like one! it was great just to see such an awesome team play, especially on the day they announce the bullets were gone

link to the post

2me1q87.jpg

This is a post from an Aussie fan that went to the game last night, looks like he's a better fan of the Rebels than you will ever be Robert.

link to the post

They are playing a boys and girls club quality team in Australia. Big Whoopie. You want me to get excited about that?

It is basically the same lousy team we had last year. Lose Walkon Miracle Shot maker Terrible Terry and replace him with some bench warmer from Memphis. Even trade. Now we got Beast a 7' foot foreigner who is about as good as Richard Robinson was. Yippee!

I see no difference. We are one injury (Wink or Darger) from not even making the NIT.

When the talent arrives. Let me know.

Until that time. You guys can celebrate beating up on Boys & Girls Club teams in Australia, I will just point and laugh at all of you as usual.

Also, Rene Ragu is a moron if he thinks Aligators live in the ocean.

Also, Rene Ragu is a moron if he thinks Aligators live in the ocean.

Salt Water Crocodile- As if it's not enough having jellyfish and sharks in the waters off Cairns, Port Douglas, North/East and Northern Territory; God decided to place another beautiful creature there to make paradise not so inviting. These places are full of salt water crocs, happily inhabiting the region. They are 7 meter long monsters; extremely strong, and very ugly! Human meat is not their favorite, but they attack anything that moves around them including sharks. They can be found in any river or beach and can go 200 Km (150 miles) inland or out into the ocean. Differing from the fresh water croc, the salt water one sleeps and swims on the bottom, making it sometimes difficult to spot until its jaws are closed. They never swallow a human, but have enough power to break us in a half and slice us in pieces, leaving us ready to be crab food. This year a German tourist was killed while swimming in the Northern Territory. (In a place marked DANGEROUS - DO NOT SWIM, CROCODILES LIVE HERE!) That's why it is very important to ask local people if the place you plan to swim in is safe or not. By the way, Crocs are a protected species in Australia and if you kill one you are in trouble, but they can kill you anytime they want. Be sure about that.

Elite 8?

UNLV will be lucky to make the NCAA Tournament again.

Luck only lasts so long. You need talent to be competitive year in and year out. Kruger doesn't have it.

Homecourt he does have so another lucky run in the MWC Tournament may get us in. A TCU loss last year in the 1st Round and Kruger is on the chopping block right now. PURE LUCK is all that saved him.

Won't last forever.

You are such a PUNK POS! Do you go to the games? I would love to meet you LIVE & in person CLOWN.