Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utenation

Boise AD comes clean on Scheduling and throws

By Graham Watson

ESPN.com

Archive

Boise State isn't as hard up for a 2011 opponent as it might have seemed a week ago.

Athletic director Gene Bleymaier said that while the Broncos have been turned down by several automatic qualifying schools for both home-and-home and guarantee games in 2011, the pool of teams available is by no means dried up.

"I didn't put this story out, it came from our commissioner, and yeah, in 2011 we're having some trouble, but we haven't exhausted the number of schools either," Bleymaier said. "So, I'm not panicking. I'm very hopeful that we'll find a game in 2011 and thereafter. I think there's games out there, we just need to find them."

Bleymaier didn't know how many teams had turned the Broncos down, but he knew it was more than five. Even schools that had cold e-mailed Boise State, and several other schools, looking for a game were turning down the Broncos.

"I've responded and said, 'Hey, we'll come. You have this date open here. You sent me a request saying you're looking for games. We'll come and play you,'" Bleymaier said. "And then they decline. ... I can't speak for those schools, but I know a lot of times when athletic directors do go and talk to their coaches, their coaches aren't in favor of it."

Bleymaier acknowledged that Boise State is encountering several obstacles in getting deals done with automatic qualifying schools. Boise State is looking for home-and-home games, which would mean a team traveling to the blue turf, a place the Broncos are 59-2 this decade. The Broncos would also be open to a guarantee game, but the school is asking for $900,000 to $1 million to play.

"[That money] is really what the market is dictating," Bleymaier said. "There are a number of schools that are paying that type of money for a guarantee game, so we would like to get what's out there in the market."

Boise State is getting $1.25 million to play Virginia Tech at FedEx Field next year, which is the highest guarantee in both school and Western Athletic Conference history. The only number that comes close is the reported $1 million San Jose State is getting to play at Alabama in next year's season opener.

But across the country and in the current economy, that type of guarantee has been rare and is usually reserved for games against inferior opponents that are OK with taking a beating and leaving with a fat paycheck. The Sun Belt Conference, which is notorious for scheduling these types of games, usually earns between $600,000 and $800,000 for those games. Arkansas State broke the mold this year with a $900,000 guarantee to play Iowa and will play Auburn for $1 million.

But none of these teams has the prestige that Boise State has earned since joining the FBS. Some major schools don't see the value of shelling out big bucks to get beat on their home field.

Boise State's scheduling quandary is perplexing considering several high-level non-AQ teams have been able to secure both home-and-home and guaranteed deals. TCU has some great future opponents, including home-and-homes with Texas Tech, Baylor, LSU and Arkansas. It also has a guarantee game with Oklahoma in 2012. Utah has a guarantee at Notre Dame and and will play home-and-home games with Colorado and Iowa State. Both Utah and BYU have series against Boise State lined up.

Bleymaier acknowledged that there were conferences and matchups that Boise State found more appealing than others. Playing teams in Boise State's general region would help with fan interest and recruiting. The Broncos have enjoyed some success scheduling with the Pac-10, but only Oregon, Oregon State and Washington State have been willing to schedule home-and-home games with the Broncos.

"Regionally, we'd like to play the Pac-10 or the Big 12 and regionally move east from there," Bleymaier said. "We'd be interested in playing Big Ten teams, Big 12 teams and Pac-10, especially home-and-home. The more regional we can get it, the better it is for both sides."

But Bleymaier stresses that he'll play any team home-and-home regardless of location. And while guarantee games are not something the Broncos have done consistently in the past, Bleymaier said he realizes the need to beef up his football schedule to help with public perception.

"We hear people talk about our scheduling, and the first point I want to make is that we'll play anybody in the country home-and-home," Bleymaier said. "The second thing is we're now looking for a guarantee game. In most cases, probably once a year. We would prefer home-and-home, but in lieu of that or in addition to some home-and-home games we are in the market for a guarantee game in most years.

"Like I said, we haven't exhausted all of our options, I don't think. We'll keep calling and try to find a game," he said.

link

I found this part interesting.

Boise State's scheduling quandary is perplexing considering several high-level non-AQ teams have been able to secure both home-and-home and guaranteed deals. TCU has some great future opponents, including home-and-homes with Texas Tech, Baylor, LSU and Arkansas. It also has a guarantee game with Oklahoma in 2012. Utah has a guarantee at Notre Dame and and will play home-and-home games with Colorado and Iowa State. Both Utah and BYU have series against Boise State lined up.

It also looks like Boise doesn't like Benson speaking on behalf of Boise.... It's clear to me, Boise is just starting to get into the big boy scheduling business.. One that our schools have been doing for years now and have established relationships with..

Their price tag demand for a one and done seems reasonable but that also leaves out many quality up and coming mid level BCS teams that would love to knock off Boise with their offer...

It seems Boise is only interested in Big money deals or home and homes... There's nothing wrong with 2 for 1's, especially if you're tired of getting ripped on in the media for your schedule..

It also looks like Boise doesn't like Benson speaking on behalf of Boise.... It's clear to me, Boise is just starting to get into the big boy scheduling business.. One that our schools have been doing for years now and have established relationships with..

Their price tag demand for a one and done seems reasonable but that also leaves out many quality up and coming mid level BCS teams that would love to knock off Boise with their offer...

It seems Boise is only interested in Big money deals or home and homes... There's nothing wrong with 2 for 1's, especially if you're tired of getting ripped on in the media for your schedule..

Could it be that stupid gimmicky Blue turf? Heck I would not want to play on that crap either.

Just saying

It seems like Boise is trying to distance themselves from the WAC and that bspn is complicit.

Am I just seeing shadows around every corner now? No, I don't think so.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

It seems like Boise is trying to distance themselves from the WAC and that bspn is complicit.

Am I just seeing shadows around every corner now? No, I don't think so.

I think Boise St. has already told the powers that be at ESPN about leaving the WAC in the next two years. Hence, 3 CGD for the MWC this year. They are courting us. How many did we get last year? Zero...

BSU and Benson constantly seem at odds with each other. Is it just me?????

When that other story broke, as soon as I saw Benson's name on it, I knew there was a rat... Bottom line, when BSU got passed, Benson went into panic mode and started demon dialing and claiming nobody will play Boise to counter claims of poor scheduling as the reason. Something he called "strategic" a few weeks before when they were ahead of TCU..

At least Boise is honest about this admitting some fault and lack of effort in the past and will be stepping up in the future..

King Karl got caught with his pants down and now his top dog is trying to rid themselves of his spew. Benson's statement also sends a bad message for future negotiations.. Who knows, maybe those schools that turned Boise down already have 2011 booked or have a waiting list?

One thing is clear, anytime Benson has his grubby dick beaters at work, there's a rotten egg somewhere..

I think Boise St. has already told the powers that be at ESPN about leaving the WAC in the next two years. Hence, 3 CGD for the MWC this year. They are courting us. How many did we get last year? Zero...

Boise leaving the WAC would really hurt the WAC TV package and the value of that contract for ESPN. However I am not sure that really makes ESPN try to court us since our contract is going to be there for awhile.

the MWC has earned enough reputation that losing to one of the teams is not considered disgusting. The AQ teams now are willing to engage which bodes well for further inclusion not exclusion.

the home and home series are great for the future

We're not any better off than the WAC.

We're in the same or at least a very similar quandry with regards to scheduling - unless we're able to pay significantly more because we fill a place up (e.g. BYU, Utah).

The entire non-AQ clan is being squeezed out. We're the lone hold out as a league, but the truth is that the financial pinch is now in full mode.

The BCS screwed football up. Now you can't have a loss to be eligible because it's not a playoff.

Back in the day you had to win your league to get to the top bowl - if that were still true, the non-conference risks could be taken.

Now you can't take those risks - cuz if you do the natives will riot and want your head. So you schedule Alcorn State instead of UNLV.

It's all about managing risk and dollars because the games been so corporatized.

Sad really.

Go Cougars

We're not any better off - unless we're able to pay significantly more because we fill a place up (e.g. BYU, Utah).

The entire non-AQ clan is being squeezed out. We're the lone hold out as a league, but the truth is that the financial pinch is now in full mode.

The BCS screwed football up. Now you can't have a loss to be eligible because it's not a playoff.

Back in the day you had to win your league to get to the top bowl - if that were still true, the non-conference risks could be taken.

Now it's all about managing risk and dollars because the games been so corporatized.

Sad really.

I think 2 for 1's will be a popular option going forward.. I think the P10 and B12 will still do well with us on home and homes, we have some good relationships...

I've known GB since the early 80s and I'll just say this type of interview from him is highly uncharacteristic. He's normally a very tight lipped individual that never really offers that much in pressers or interviews. I'm not sure how much to read into this but there's definitely a "don't speak for us" angle behind his comments. Very surprised to see these comments from him.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

By Graham Watson

As usual ESPN's blithering idiot can't get her facts straight. TCU has the second half of a home & home with Oklahoma in 2012 at ACS - NOT a guarantee game. We also have the second half of a home & home with Virginia that year.

I've known GB since the early 80s and I'll just say this type of interview from him is highly uncharacteristic. He's normally a very tight lipped individual that never really offers that much in pressers or interviews. I'm not sure how much to read into this but there's definitely a "don't speak for us" angle behind his comments. Very surprised to see these comments from him.

I wonder if Benson called Boise AD right after this one hit the news? hmmmmm

I wonder if Benson called Boise AD right after this one hit the news? hmmmmm

I seriously doubt if the REAL relationship under the formal facade between the WAC and the BSU administrators is hunky-dory ....

with BSU opening pandering to leave the WAC i doubt they are the best of buddies these days ....

If most of you and us think MWC expansion to 10 is a virtual done deal you can KK has more info than we all do and is just saving face ...

I think 2 for 1's will be a popular option going forward.. I think the P10 and B12 will still do well with us on home and homes, we have some good relationships...

I'd guess that BSU would be happy to get 2 for 1s with a lot of western schools, maybe not so much for eastern schools. But Bleymeier did emphasize that he'd take a home and home with ANY BCS school.

I'd guess that BSU would be happy to get 2 for 1s with a lot of western schools, maybe not so much for eastern schools. But Bleymeier did emphasize that he'd take a home and home with ANY BCS school.

Getting home and homes with a 30K seat stadium is tough to do.. You have to make it worth their time and effort. Not all schools can do that...

BSU is much like USU in basketball... Big demands for a puny school.. I think that's why USU is left out of the dance so often, their coach has an ego the size of Duke and the reputation and pocketbook of Eastern Washington.