Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

UNLV Football

It's pretty obvious what I'm posting about right now, our crappy football program. I was pleased with this team until Herring faked that FG and could've run for the first down, but instead reminded us why he is not our QB anymore. Our OL is horrible and it seems like Sherry always has a rusher in his face when he's throwing the ball. Our DB's couldn't tackle anything. After the Lumberjacks kicked the field goal to win the game, I had never felt so hopeless about this team. When I went to bed that night I was debating whether or not we should fire Hauck. After an hour of thinking I thought it would be best for us and him if we fire Hauck. Then I thought of coaches who could bring this program to glory and immediately Bobby Petrino came into my head. He managed to help a sorry Louisville team and a struggling Arkansas team to BCS bowls in only a few years. Why can't he do that here? In order to get him we need to SPEND MONEY. In order to be successful you need to sacrifice a few extra bucks. Please, Livengood, fire Bobby Hauck and give Bobby Petrino a huge salary to help this horrible football program.

I have tickets for the Friday night game. I honestly can't decide if I'm going to go or watch it on tv. I don't know what will be worse, watching the rebels get humiliated on National TV or witnessing it first hand. I'm not sure if these kids have anything left to give. I think they are as frustrated as we are and they may have given up on Hauck too. It's frustrating. A new OC and DC this year and we get the same results as the old staff.

Have a fresh start. Get rid of everyone. Hire a new HC, OC and DC. I think SMU did that few years ago.

SMU shelled out a $1MM for their coach.

UNM tried to get Leach but the difference was apperantely 600K which what he is making more at Washington St. So we settled for Davie.

Until UNLV pays a coach around 800-900K they'll continue to get an unknown.

roflbot.jpg

Shame- good talent in the region, a program with a good budget, stadium (albeit in the middle of the sand storm) and actually what is generally referred to as a "Good" coach (currently). Whats missing=players.

Hope you get it turned around.

I have tickets for the Friday night game. I honestly can't decide if I'm going to go or watch it on tv. I don't know what will be worse, watching the rebels get humiliated on National TV or witnessing it first hand. I'm not sure if these kids have anything left to give. I think they are as frustrated as we are and they may have given up on Hauck too. It's frustrating. A new OC and DC this year and we get the same results as the old staff.

When you promote an OC from inside of the staff i dont consider that much of a change...plus the fact the old OC didnt even get fired.

was all smoke and mirrors...nothing changed from last year except new guy calling in same ole bs.

UNM tried to get Leach but the difference was apperantely 600K which what he is making more at Washington St. So we settled for Davie.

Until UNLV pays a coach around 800-900K they'll continue to get an unknown.

I think Davie was a great hire for UNM. He knows how to recruit, he'll run a clean program, and is well respected. IMO, he'll need at least 3 or 4 years to turn things around.

How long is his contract?

515px-Nevada_Wolf_Pack_Txt.svg.png

I say go to the game and show your support for the kids... they at least deserve that don't you think?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

UNLV needs a coach who will run a spread type of offense like they do at Navy, Army and Air Force. Or the Run and Shoot. These types of offenses needs minimun talent to be successful.

Exhibit Z as to your football knowledge.

Exhibit Z as to your football knowledge.

When I was in college we ran a version of the run and shoot and it requires really smart receivers. They are basically picking their own patterns based on the way the defense covers them. It is hard on the quarterback and the receivers. Maybe a little easier on the line as they just have to pass block for a couple of seconds. But after watching UNLV's line the first two games, that might still be a tall order this year.

Actually, the school is paying June Jones $1.3M and he's receiving an additional $1M from Craig James, Eric Dickerson and two other wealthy alumni.

rebs702 is correct that 5-year guaranteed contracts are a mistake unless you're hiring one of the top dozen or so coaches in the country. Two years is plenty of time to know whether the guy is moving the program in a positive direction so anything beyond that should come with a buyout provision. I still won't criticize UNLV for hiring Hoke since he was worth the risk at the limited money he was willing to work for. However, most of us thought at the time the extension was foolhearty and he's done next to nothing to disprove it.

Also, I agree with the poster who encouraged fans to still turn out. Maybe Hauck no longer deserves the support but the players do.

Boom goes the dynamite.