Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pioneer

ND to ACC

I don't see how this effects the B12 at all.

Bevo was waiting to see what the domers were going to do. Not saying that the big 12 makes a move, but all the comments coming out of the big 12 stated that they would expand for ND.

I doubt this will start another round of shuffling on the FB side. ND FB will remain indy. They don't want to join anybody or they would have already. Doubt ACC will invite UConn either.

Does the BE take a hit? Sure. And the timing is a real slap in the face. But there you have it. Some of you will no doubt be elated.

Meh, I was actually hoping all this was over for a while so we could focus on sports.

Ya, I just seen that on espn online. My first reaction is that it's an indicator of what's coming in the new BE contract. Rights assignment. The ACC does not have rights assignment. Despite the fact that Dodds of Austin and Sawbrick (sp) of South Bend are good buds, Notre Dame aint goin to any league with rights assignment. I think it's an indicator of what's just around the corner.....

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Also the ACC increased their exit fee to 3x annual revenue, which is about $50mil. So much for Florida State and Clemson to the Big12

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Its what I expected from ND, they weren't going to stick around to play Temple and SMU etc. in the BE.

I'm surprised they would play more than 4 in football though. Pitt, BC, Cuse, Carolinas and a Florida St or Miami instead of USF and UCF. I never thought they would go to the B12. This also gives the ACC better leverage.

I still don't expect the B12 to do anything soon. they likely would still want 1-2 ACC schools in the future though.

Ya, I just seen that on espn online. My first reaction is that it's an indicator of what's coming in the new BE contract. Rights assignment. The ACC does not have rights assignment. Despite the fact that Dodds of Austin and Sawbrick (sp) of South Bend are good buds, Notre Dame aint goin to any league with rights assignment. I think it's an indicator of what's just around the corner.....

That's an interesting perspective. I'd wondered if a grant of rights would happen with the BE. Didn't see it being agreeable to a few who are still hoping to be picked last at the dance.

But it would be the best thing for the conference - give it stability, finally.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

I don't think so. The Big East is now the second best basketball conference in the country. Temple, Memphis, Louisville, UCONN, and Cincinatti are 5 of the top teams, the Catholic schools need them. A split would surprise me.

I don't even think you can say they are clear cut second best anymore...out of teams you have listed only Louisville and UCONN would be considered elite at this point.

Memphis has a chance but since cal left they haven't been lighting world on fire.

From article I read it said part of reason Notre dame left was because it didn't want to be associated with new members.

I don't see how this effects the B12 at all.

If anything, it keeps the Big XII from making any move for the next few years.

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/091212aaa.html

The release says there is now a $50 million exit fee for the ACC.

We know the Big East schools are chomping at the bit to go to the Big XII, and that BYU is interested if the correct guarantee is in place (written Sunday play exemption).

So why would Big XII feel any panic or hurry to expand because of this? Better to wait and see what the changed landscape means for them.

The only thing that should worry the Big XII is if the Big East signs a decent TV deal that includes an almost impossibility of leaving the conference. Even then, a school in the Big East would probably accept the death penalty for all sports for a year if it meant an invite to the Big XII at this point.

That's an interesting perspective. I'd wondered if a grant of rights would happen with the BE. Didn't see it being agreeable to a few who are still hoping to be picked last at the dance.

I would think Boise would adamantly oppose the grant of rights deal.

Well, we'll see if that really comes to fruition but methinks it's pointing that direction. Hefty exit fees and withdrawal timetables in any given conference are one thing (and negotiable - see Pitt & Syracuse). But rights assignments are heavily restrictive, long term and tied to the TV contact, and the direct opposite of flexibility. Notre Dame loves its flexiblity. Sooo..given that rights assignment could be on the table, I'm thinking the BE contract has some decent coin attached to it. If it takes Notre Dame's exit to land all that mess...bye Irish.

I would think Boise would adamantly oppose the grant of rights deal.

Why? If it brings stability to the conference, it would be good. And they already have clauses to bow out of the current deal if necessary.

I doubt this will start another round of shuffling on the FB side. ND FB will remain indy. They don't want to join anybody or they would have already. Doubt ACC will invite UConn either.

Does the BE take a hit? Sure. And the timing is a real slap in the face. But there you have it. Some of you will no doubt be elated.

Why?

Why? If it brings stability to the conference, it would be good. And they already have clauses to bow out of the current deal if necessary.

Then the BE becomes a long term stopping point for Boise. I thought the plan was to move to the Big 12 or Pac 12?

Then the BE becomes a long term stopping point for Boise. I thought the plan was to move to the Big 12 or Pac 12?

That's just wild conjecture and speculation. Realistically, Boise isn't a PAC target in the next decade, nor a Big 12 target. But who knows the real story of how things played out between university presidents?

Kustra seems to want a conference with more stability. If a grant of rights for half a decade or more brings that to a lineup he likes with enough $$$ to meet the goals of the school, why not?

I'm sure they'll have out clauses like they did for joining the BE.

I would hope SDSU would as well.

SDSU will just oppose whatever its daddy tells them to oppose.....

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

OTOH, Notre Dame could already have a 'whisper' number on the new BE contract and figured out that as the sole non-football member of ACC, it can negotiate whatever deal it wants there. It won't have to share anything with its non-football brethern in BE. Notre Dame is already a department of one with NBC football. Now it's a department of one in ACC hoops et al. I suppose it could all go either way. Gun to my head, I'm picking heavy restriction on the new BE contract all the way up to rights assignment. And I'm betting you will never see rights assignment in ACC.