Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

World's Worst Designed Cities

Boston is poorly designed. Anyone that's driven through Boston knows what a phucking pita it is to navigate that city.

It's not that bad considering it was "designed" back in the 1630s. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

WYO is

http://wyia.org/documents/wia-strategic-plan/

Based on the construction I witnessed back there a few months ago, the state is taking it seriously.

Yeah. I still see red when Wyoming economic reports call increasing energy reliance "diversification". 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

You should take a trip to Englewood sometime, be with your people.

Find me on 65th and Normal. O-Block Bang Bang

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Riverside, California isn't the worst designed city, but the worst designed highway merge that I know of is where Hwy. 60 merges with Hwy. 91 (southbound) in Riverside. I haven't been there in years so hopefully they've fixed it (but I doubt it). There's no merge lane to pick up speed so you're dumped onto the 91 after going around a slow overpass curve. Traffic is flying down the 91 at very high speeds while cars from the 60 are going much slower as they merge. I remember reading an article where the engineering department at UCLA declared it the worst designed highway merge in the country. It's dangerous!

As far as well designed cities go, I like the way Albuquerque is laid out into four quadrants. It's very easy to know where you're at there. 

Try Tarragona, Spain. Lane markers are just a haphazard suggestion (i.e. Try to stick to it as close as you can ok, if not, oh well) Sidewalks have markers that say " Caution: Crossing traffic does not stop" I saw a bumper sticker in Fresno that said " Don't follow me, I'm lost too !"  There is a sign on an on ramp in LA that reads: Shutup, close your eyes and GO! "  :frustrated:

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

I will say that while I don't have a problem with it's design, Omaha needed to find a way to stop the wind.  It is a wind tunnel on almost every street downtown.  It is no wonder no one is hitting homeruns at the CWS, it is probably the windiest downtown I have ever been in.

Didn't stop Detwiler in 2008

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ld3ixUq1t5Q

~ FF

Reading about Jakarta made me think of my time living in Manila. How did that gem not make this list? Great people but maybe the worst designed city I've ever seen and then the airport..... OMG. That gives the city a 10 out of 10 in the shit scale. The subway has 2 lines and covers like 1/10th of the city and when you factor in how cheap it is to ride the thing you'll understand why there are about 10K on each train. 

It's hard to improve infrastructure collecting taxes on citizens who average $200 a year average Go check out Japan if you want to see 1st world public transportation in the world.

Try Tarragona, Spain. Lane markers are just a haphazard suggestion (i.e. Try to stick to it as close as you can ok, if not, oh well) Sidewalks have markers that say " Caution: Crossing traffic does not stop" I saw a bumper sticker in Fresno that said " Don't follow me, I'm lost too !"  There is a sign on an on ramp in LA that reads: Shutup, close your eyes and GO! "  :frustrated:

Regarding Spain, the airport in Madrid is confusing too. I asked an airport employee there for help and he had to confer with two other co-workers to figure it out. Thankfully I had plenty of lay over time before my flight home. It's a confusing, but very good looking structure.

Madrid-Airport-2.jpg

It's hard to improve infrastructure collecting taxes on citizens who average $200 a year average Go check out Japan if you want to see 1st world public transportation in the world.

I've been to Japan and yeah it is definitely 1st rate, it's weird to because I was in downtown Osaka and I barely saw any cars. Don't get me wrong, I loved Manila and I could probably live there long term if circumstances permitted but it's really poorly designed. It could take you hours to go about 10 miles. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage