Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dogs4Me

OT: Need Help...New Phone Advice

Don't laugh, I've managed to make my old iphone 4 work until late, but it's finally starting to go south. It's been a good phone, lasted me 4.5 years or so and now it's time to look again, but I am torn...5s or 6? Or do I go away from the Apple phone and look into a Droid or Windows phone? What about the Google phone?

I'm not a phone tech nut, I just need something that's reliable and can handle simple browsing with solid email ability. I will admit to enjoying itunes, but enjoy my Pandora app more...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

I have a 5s and phucking hate it. I can't wait to get the 6.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I have a six and the best thing about it is that the OS hasnt yet been intentionally bogged down by apple yet. Beyond that, its too slippery, too light, and required too many gdamn new widgets to buy when i switched from my ip4.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

i have a note 3, i like it

i've had iphones. they were good too

don't really feel like getting into the fan boy debate just try the ones you like/can afford and figure it out. realize that any unfamiliar OS to you will become familiar in a couple days so don't use that as an excuse

there's not much difference between the flagships so you can't go wrong. do buy the most recent model tho, that's a no-brainer 

the s6 is a good phone. i definitely prefer the size of the note personally. impossible to really use something smaller than like an s6 without laughing honestly

and don't get the gimmicky edge version. that's a pointless feature 

If you want a stable closed system with lots of apps and games go with iPhone. If ur at all tech savvy go with an android and root it. Then you will actually "own" your phone and can change many functions and add tons of features.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I went droid about two years ago.  Currently still have the S4.  Assimilation was not bad and now I'm a droid guy.  Hate the f'ing S4 though.  It's a great pocket computer, but absolutely sucks as a telephone.  I need a good version of both.  Looking to upgrade in the next few months.  Any suggestions for a phone that has a note sized screen to handle data that I can actually see, but actually works as a phone as well.  Bluetooth is paramount.

If you want a stable closed system with lots of apps and games go with iPhone. If ur at all tech savvy go with an android and root it. Then you will actually "own" your phone and can change many functions and add tons of features.

pretty much 

i think ios is probably a more user friendly experience for first time users but i wouldn't say android is exclusive to tech savvy people. i've converted no less than 5 people from iphones to android once they messed with my note

you can make your android act like an iphone. i use aviate as my launcher and its very polished and (i haven't used ios in a while) i'd guess that it's pretty comparable to ios. some of the buttons do different things and notifications are probably different on android but i certainly wouldn't turn someone away from looking at any of the android flagships just because the android has more "potential"

but seriously, we're splitting hairs here. without really delving into what you actually use the phone for there's really not a big different between a top-of-the-line iphone or android phone at the moment

hell, i played with a nokia with WPwhatever and i liked it but the lack of developer support is a huge turn off imo 

Thanks for bringing this up.  I went droid about two years ago.  Currently still have the S4.  Assimilation was not bad and now I'm a droid guy.  Hate the f'ing S4 though.  It's a great pocket computer, but absolutely sucks as a telephone.  I need a good version of both.  Looking to upgrade in the next few months.  Any suggestions for a phone that has a note sized screen to handle data that I can actually see, but actually works as a phone as well.  Bluetooth is paramount.

i always question some of the ways people think the phone handles basic phone tasks. i think a lot of that could be up to the carrier and not the device itself. the note 4 is another great phone in the note series obviously. the screen is georgous. the 6+ is similar in size and also a great phone. the nexus is about the same size but a totally different option not having carrier support so you'd have to buy the phone outright 

If you decide to go the Android route, I recently picked up a Sony Z3 for $.99 and I love it. It's waterproof, has wireless charging, 32 gb of internal storage, sd card slot expandable up to an additional 128 gb and 3 gb of memory.

pretty much

i think ios is probably a more user friendly experience for first time users but i wouldn't say android is exclusive to tech savvy people. i've converted no less than 5 people from iphones to android once they messed with my note

Android can definitely be for anyone. I meant for rooting your phone and installing custom roms you should know a little bit about what ur doing or you can easily brick your phone.

I love how I can remove all bloatware, underclock the processor to save battery, and turn off any and all apps from running in the background. There are so many other features you can mess with once you have root access,but you have to be careful.

Android can definitely be for anyone. I meant for rooting your phone and installing custom roms you should know a little bit about what ur doing or you can easily brick your phone.

I love how I can remove all bloatware, underclock the processor to save battery, and turn off any and all apps from running in the background. There are so many other features you can mess with once you have root access,but you have to be careful.

i mean with towelroot it's as easy as an ios jailbreak would be 

i mean with towelroot it's as easy as an ios jailbreak would be

True. The rooting process is easy. 1 button these days. But once you have access you got to make sure you don't accidently delete a system file or something lol