Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Reno to host big sky tourney

Do you think the announcement will be followed by another announcing that Nevada is dropping down to FCS?

Very clever! Perhaps you should stick to SJSU smack.

Considering that we've been to bowl games 9 of the past 10 years, I think this league has other teams higher up on the list to move down.

Should be made public Friday runs from 2016-2018

Should be good for the city , heck I may catch a game or two

That's an awesome place for it. Lots of schools within driving range. UNLV won't have that home court advantage anymore.

Do you think the announcement will be followed by another announcing that Nevada is dropping down to FCS?

No.  The announcement will be that wyoming is dropping down and joining the Big Sky.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

That's an awesome place for it. Lots of schools within driving range. UNLV won't have that home court advantage anymore.

:lol:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The tournament in reno will be dropped after the first or second year.  We even crashed and burned trying to play a tourney in Denver.  Can't see the draw in reno.

Shocker. 

This is great for Reno... just helps with the revitalization of the city. I hope it's a huge success and the Big Sky keeps it there long term. You also have essentially every school that can get there fairly easily. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

This is great for Reno... just helps with the revitalization of the city. I hope it's a huge success and the Big Sky keeps it there long term. You also have essentially every school that can get there fairly easily. 

Good place for the Big Sky to hold it.  Not over crowded with other tourney's in Vegas.  

For quite a few Big Sky schools this will help take the pressure of getting a tournament ready within a week.  The winner of the Big Sky host the tourney and if Sac. St. won there last game they would have hosted.  But they don't have any facilities to host and were scrambling at the last minute to find seating and getting a building ready.  Same would go, Port. St since their gym is more like a high school gym.

The tournament in reno will be dropped after the first or second year. We even crashed and burned trying to play a tourney in Denver. Can't see the draw in reno.

Reno makes for a nice neutral setting. No other conference tourney is held there. Besides, what location would work best for the Sky? Look at how spread out the conference is.

Reno makes for a nice neutral setting. No other conference tourney is held there. Besides, what location would work best for the Sky? Look at how spread out the conference is.

I just can't see those fans making the trip to reno for a game.  Granted there are those posting it's a fairly easy drive and they are close together.  You come along and think the conference is spread out.  Well, I do to.  No fricking way is it an easy drive for some of these schools.  I'm not opposed to them having it in reno.  Give it a try.   I just don't see it working.  They are better off not having one.  Just give the autobid to the conference champ.  

I just can't see those fans making the trip to reno for a game.  Granted there are those posting it's a fairly easy drive and they are close together.  You come along and think the conference is spread out.  Well, I do to.  No fricking way is it an easy drive for some of these schools.  I'm not opposed to them having it in reno.  Give it a try.   I just don't see it working.  They are better off not having one.  Just give the autobid to the conference champ.  

So you think its better for half of the fans to have to travel twice as far by locating it near one side or the other? Which other cities would you think would work better? You're giving me problems.....I need solutions. 

So you think its better for half of the fans to have to travel twice as far by locating it near one side or the other? Which other cities would you think would work better? You're giving me problems.....I need solutions. 

What part of "giving the autobid to the conference champ" did you not get as a solution?

What part of "giving the autobid to the conference champ" did you not get as a solution?

Obviously, outside of giving the autobid to the conference champ, since that is clearly not an option the conference is interested in.......I didn't think I'd have to explicitly state that, but I guess I was wrong. 

So, that being said.......do you have a better location in mind?

Reno's agreement to host the Big Sky tournament is only for three years.  If it's somewhat successful maybe it will stick.  At the very least holding the tournament there will increase regional visibility for the Big Sky.  There really isn't a second location which makes sense.  (Note: UC Davis and Cal Poly are football-only members).

Looking at the BSC map, the conference really doesn't have anything to lose by giving their tournament to Reno.  Better than potentially having a Sac State unable to host debacle.

Big-Sky-Conference-Hoops-Map-201415.png

they'll have it at the Events Center and a few thousand rooms  are walkable easy. The NBA D-League had it's January Open House tourney  the same way (twice)  I will go check it out, I hope it goes well. Leave it to a couple of  Vegas biyatches in here to snivel about it. But what-a-ya-gonna-do?

cerified_Subarus.jpg