Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

USU may be losing Athletic Director

A person with prior Athletic Department experience is not a "stick in the mud".  "Sticks in the Mud" do not pursue this sort of career, and if they do, they don't get very far, if at all.

Thinking that any applicant Assistant Athletic Director or current Athletic Director is going to be a "stick in the mud" personality isn't really even worthy of discussion.  ADs are almost always great people persons and schmoozers.  Doesn't everyone agree with this?

It's not like a computer science programmer (no offense) is ever going to interview for a head AD job.

yeah sure whatever.

Yes.  That is my point.  

Any serious AD Candidate (this discussion is about if USU could hire a Mormon USU Alum as its AD, or non-USU alum) would be just fine at these very very very common Mixers, Cocktail Parties, and Tailgates that everyone knows typifies Utah State University culture.  And it makes no difference, as has been pointed out now, that the booze culture at USU is huge, and that most USU boosters are not Mormons and get very nervous around Mormons (i.e. 86% of USU's student/alums, and USU's President Albrecht) who don't drink and are attending their parties.

Look.  Any guy/lady applying to be the USU AD is already going to have years of experience in that career field.  And to pretend that a Mormon candidate would have ZERO experience around people who aren't Mormons, and wouldn't know how to handle that some people actually drink alcohol, is shallow thinking.  These people can easily mix with people that don't have their exact same beliefs.  

The USU fans (not all of them) arguing that the 86% of USU fans who are Mormons, or any other Mormons, cannot handle the USU AD job need to think it through.

and you could easily argue that it would benefit USU to hire someone who would feel comfortable living in Utah (long term) and who understands the culture. 

Guest #1Stunner

and you could easily argue that it would benefit USU to hire someone who would feel comfortable living in Utah (long term) and who understands the culture. 

Exactly.  

Obviously, every candidate deserves their own consideration.  I understand that it isn't always a good idea to hire a "good ole boy" who is comfortable being where he attended school, and doesn't work hard, and that an outside candidate can work well. But just as easily, it can be a great thing to hire an alum of your school.  

Both Chris Hill (Utah) and Tom Holmoe (BYU) are graduates of their respective schools, and it has probably helped them out quite a bit in their AD job performance. 

But I would never disqualify a guy because he is a Mormon for the USU AD job, as some USU fans on here are trying to argue.  That makes no sense at USU especially.

Guest #1Stunner

yeah sure whatever.

If it means anything, you'd be at the top of my AD list.  Your talents are under-appreciated, and underutilized.  Plus, you are golden with your TX/VA ties.

You are offering to "educate" me about USU's vast "tailgating culture" now?  HA!HA!  Yes.  When everyone thinks of USU, they think of a great, established tailingating / drinking culture.  Especially with your 86% Mormon enrollment, and high Mormon community fanbase that, like BYU, avoids playing games on General Conference weekend at all costs (don't want an empty stadium).

Why do you keep running with this false assumption that Mormons are "uncomfortable" or "offended" when Alcohol is present.  You should ask your fellow Mormon Aggies fans on here if your false assumption has any merit.  As far as BYU fans possibly fitting in that category, recall, the vast majority of us don't even live in Utah.

" Vast tailgating culture". I never called it that, some of the 86% enrollment seems to have drifted from the faith. I have mormon aggie friends that are uncomfortable with cocktail parties.

The point once again is if a mormon A.D. is to be successful at USU he can not be one that is uncomfortable with the aggie boosters that are very wealthy and have cocktail parties.

I invited you to tailgate with me when the y comes to Logan this year, the first invite was months ago, however since that invite you are upset with me calling me dumb, num nuts etc. I'am I correct to assume that you do not want to be part of the party at the bud light tent ? I do not want to offend or make you uncomfortable. :D

Guest #1Stunner

" Vast tailgating culture". I never called it that, some of the 86% enrollment seems to have drifted from the faith. I have mormon aggie friends that are uncomfortable with cocktail parties.

The point once again is if a mormon A.D. is to be successful at USU he can not be one that is uncomfortable with the aggie boosters that are very wealthy and have cocktail parties.

I invited you to tailgate with me when the y comes to Logan this year, the first invite was months ago, however since that invite you are upset with me calling me dumb, num nuts etc. I'am I correct to assume that you do not want to be part of the party at the bud light tent ? I do not want to offend or make you uncomfortable. :D

I call you dumb, only after you call me ignorant.  Basically, your assumptions of ignorance and "being offended" are flawed, and predicated on stereotypes that have no basis in reality.

Now...what do your Mormon friends who are uncomfortable at cocktail parties have to do with a discussion about the next USU AD, and specifically whether a Mormon candidate should by "default" be rejected from consideration?   Why are you going out in left field now, and talking about your friends?  Try to at least carry on the conversation.

USU fans.  How is the tailgating culture at USU.  Is the football game drinking / tailgating culture at 86% Mormon USU as big of a weekly event as your fellow Aggie is stating it is?

I've been to these mixers. >50% had drinks

By Stunner's logic that typical USU Mormons are the same as BYU Mormons, it would make sense that instead of over half of USU boosters/alumni drinking at the AD functions where alcohol is provided, there should be less than 15% partaking.

PS. The tailgating scene at USU is getting better all the time. When I went to school we had one game that was designated as National Tequila Day. When BYU came to town that was always the game.

Guest #1Stunner

By Stunner's logic that typical USU Mormons are the same as BYU Mormons, it would make sense that instead of over half of USU boosters/alumni drinking at the AD functions where alcohol is provided, there should be less than 15% partaking.

You are correct.  

I believe that most USU fan Mormons and BYU fan Mormons believe the same things, religiously, are taught the same things, and follow the same religious tenets.  I also believe that, for example, University of Utah fan Mormons and BYU Mormons believe the same religious beliefs.   Obviously, the University of Utah has a lot more diversity (religious affiliation) than vastly Mormon USU and BYU.

That they follow different sports teams has little bearing on their religious beliefs, in my opinion.  Same with if individuals have different political beliefs, etc---not really determinatoive on their religious tenets.

Maybe you are really trying to assert that Cache County is full of non-believing Mormons and empty Church buildings, and that Provo is not?   I wouldn't know about that....  Are they shutting down a lot of Mormon Church buildings in Cache County, or are they building more?

You are usually opening minded.  I'm surprised that you too are adopting this position that any Mormon USU alum cannot be successful in the USU AD position, and should by default, be disqualified from consideration for the job because of his/her religious beliefs.

Stunner is bothered that I voiced concern that a assistant A.D. at ybu might have trouble with the wealthly boosters at USU that have cocktail parties, he is certain that my concern is silly.

I do know some LDS people that would prefer to not attend such events. I guess that if this Chad fellow can leave his religion at the door in order to make money then good. I know that booze is served in places that rent from the church, it least I have been told that.

Mormons are a little hard for me to understand.

You are correct.  

I believe that most USU fan Mormons and BYU fan Mormons believe the same things, religiously, are taught the same things, and follow the same religious tenets.  I also believe that, for example, University of Utah fan Mormons and BYU Mormons believe the same religious beliefs.   Obviously, the University of Utah has a lot more diversity (religious affiliation) than vastly Mormon USU and BYU.

That they follow different sports teams has little bearing on their religious beliefs, in my opinion.  Same with if individuals have different political beliefs, etc---not really determinatoive on their religious tenets.

Maybe you are really trying to assert that Cache County is full of non-believing Mormons and empty Church buildings, and that Provo is not?   I wouldn't know about that....  Are they shutting down a lot of Mormon Church buildings in Cache County, or are they building more?

You are usually opening minded.  I'm surprised that you too are adopting this position that any Mormon USU alum cannot be successful in the USU AD position, and should by default, be disqualified from consideration for the job because of his/her religious beliefs.

I am saying that at schools not named BYU, a good portion of Mormon kids spread their wings, make new friends, experience new things, you know, like college kids do.

That's what Utah does.  Isn't half your football staff usually BYU grads?

Isn't the ultimate leader of BYU a Utah graduate?

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner

Isn't the ultimate leader of BYU a Utah graduate?

President Samuelson? He retired. Remember when Utah President was a BYU grad and BYU President was a Utah grad?

Had to google it.  Actually 86%.  Remember reading it somewhere:

At Utah State, though, recruiters have been selling the school outside Utah for years. Since 2007, the student body has gone from 13 percent out-of-state students to more than 25 percent in 2012, according to the Utah System of Higher Education.

USU was offering in-state tuition to Idaho residents last I heard.  I guess there aren't enough Utah students that want to go there. 

Guest #1Stunner

USU was offering in-state tuition to Idaho residents last I heard.  I guess there aren't enough Utah students that want to go there.

Think it through. Which Idaho kids are dying to go to USU? Hint: the have family members that are BYU fans.

President Samuelson? He retired. Remember when Utah President was a BYU grad and BYU President was a Utah grad?

Think a few steps higher than Samuelson's level.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Think it through. Which Idaho kids are dying to go to USU? Hint: the have family members that are BYU fans.

I think the more true statement is that Utah State does what it can to make the transition to residency very easy for kids from this region.

Consider that the Utah State campus is 20 minutes from the Idaho border.  For many kids in southeastern Idaho, this is the school that is a natural fit for them, much more than any school in Idaho.

Not to mention so many of these Idaho farm kids would be interested in degree programs that align with their agricultural roots and future.

Or just keep working on your reputation for the troll derby...