Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fearthefumanchu

SB Nation's opinion MWC football

I love preseason championships

Signed: UNLV.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Dead on assessment. Nevada's offense has struggled since Ault left. I'm not a huge fan of Rolovich's dink and dunk system. No vertical threat at all. I think Nevada is a .500 team with several close wins and loses.

Without a star RB the pistol doesn't seem to function well..

We got some speed out there on defense. I can't wait to see our guys lay some wood in our new 3-3-5 defense

Looking forward to it too. Although Davie did say it'll be a basic 3-3-5 and will eventually implement all the complex stunts/blitz's that it comes with. 

roflbot.jpg

Without a star RB the pistol doesn't seem to function well..

We have plenty of talent at RB, both Jackson and Butler are very good. The problem is we have had a below average o-line for two years now. Strong o-lines were always a staple of Ault's teams.

Added Colorado State.

looks pretty close but the guy forgets to mention Coleman Key at QB and Thinks our D will be good but not great.  I think CSU's D could be great.

Also says CSU could have best G5 receiving corps and possibly best in nation.

looks pretty close but the guy forgets to mention Coleman Key at QB and Thinks our D will be good but not great.  I think CSU's D could be great.

Also says CSU could have best G5 receiving corps and possibly best in nation.

I don't think our D will be great.  Just not seeing the talent on the D-line, but maybe in a dedicated even front with the changed responsibilities things will look different.  Also, the author of that piece is a bit more favorable towards our D backfield than I am.  Again, who knows, new coaches and new schemes could make the difference.  Definitely having a dedicated CB coach and dedicated Safety coach has to be a positive.  Not sold that Key will be the guy either.  He clearly has the physical tools, but as a RS Frosh is understandably a little slower in taking command of the system as reports from camp indicate.

We've got the tools to have a very high powered offense, sans QB (kind of a critical piece), and an improved defense.  2015 will definitely be an indicator of what this coaching staff is capable of.  They have most of the pieces to contend for the conference, but it will take an impressive coaching job to make that contention happen.

I predicted a 10-2 reg season last year, and while I was quite a bit off in my reasons for achieving the record, I did hit the number.  I may change my mind after the spring game Saturday, but for now I'm guessing 8-4 and maybe 7-5.  Losses to CU, Minnesota, USU, and AFA.  Boise should roll us, but I think that game will be much closer than expected with a RAM W very possible.  With new coaches and a new QB, we are essentially a new team.  A talented new team is just the type to jump up on a red circled game and bite someone in the arse.  We have too much talent to fall into the bottom half of the conference again, but not enough key pieces to take the league.

I reserve the right to change my opinion on an unlimited basis until the opening game.

So basically, so far they say that the bottom half of MWC is in the bottom 1/4 of FBS.

Seems about right.

Seems exactly right to me and really, nothing has changed. The MWC's bottom half has always been an anchor for the conference and with the exception of TCU and YBU, every school that's been here for more than just a few years has contributed to that shit storm.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Pretty spot on for Wyoming. Bohl is having to develop players and he's only had one full year of recruiting. It's a develop year.

we have walk ons listed as starters right now. It's going to be a long year....

Aren't those just last season's rankings?

My mistake.  Yes they are.

Avg. 2014 West Division F+/- Ranking = 98/128

Avg. 2014 Mtn. Division F+/- Ranking = 63/128

When did this much disparity creep in between the Mtn and West division?  

That's an average of 35 places, or the difference between teams like ECU, Iowa, or Maryland vs. teams like FIU, UL-Monroe, or Kansas. 

we have walk ons listed as starters right now. It's going to be a long year....

Only because of guys who are injured and can't participate in spring drills.    Robert Priester started most of the year at CB as a true freshman.   There a couple others including DJ May, Malkaam Muhammad, and maybe even X Lewis. 

And walk-ons can be pretty good.  Mitch Unrein comes to mind.  One of guys listed is supposed to be a pretty solid player...Pilapil.

That is my $.02 anyway.

Go Pokes!