Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utenation

Are the Pokes for real?

I do hope the Utes right the ship tough, it has been kind of embarrassing :D

Well, one good thing for Utah is, with the Mtn not being a national platform and having distribution issues, not many folks got to see our embarrassments.. I still give AFA and UNLV credit for beating us..

At least we got to use the injury card for OSU on Fox..

And we all know how we looked on Versus against UCLA and on ESPN against UL... :D So far, the TV contract has worked out somewhat..

Guest ragtimeJOE

I'm just glad he's playing.. To be honest..

He looked really sharp the other night. I may be off because I haven't watched him a ton, but I think the opposing teams really need to keep him in the pocket and try to get some pressure on him. It looks like he throws a good ball in or out, but at least you don't need to worry about his legs when you have him contained in the pocket. I know this is much easier said than done.

Guest ragtimeJOE

They have a lot of momentum but I'd like to see a strong road performance before separating them out as the frontrunner.

I couldn't agree more.

Wyoming definitely has some good pieces. Devin Moore is probably the best RB in the conference with apologies to Rodney Ferguson. Julius Stinson is the best cornerback in the MWC. However, Michael Ford and Karsten Sween have to be considered dissapointments so far. I'm sure bigger things were expected of them, especially from Ford. Sween has committed too many turnovers.

The Pokes definitely have one of the top two or three home field advantages in the conference. They still need to prove themselves on the road. A win @Air Force or Utah would do that. However I think Utah gives them their best shot in SLC this year, and that's not good for any team.

Even if things don't go great for Wyo, finishing 4-3 is definitely doable, which would give them 8 wins and a bowl.

I'm just glad he's playing.. To be honest..

I'll be honest with you, before the first of this season started, I was not impressed with BJ. He didn't strike me as being all that good in 2005 and missed all of 2006, but they say the memory is the first thing to go (or is it the second). I watched the Utah - Louisville game and I was impressed with him in this game. He was very smooth and mobile. I think this is more like what we can expect. As far as the Wyoming team goes, so far (with the exception of BSU) we have been able to cover up for our mistakes. The potential of this team is very good if we limit the mistakes. Youth normally = mistakes, but there comes a time in the season that youth should no longer be a factor and this is where coaching comes into play.

" I believe that forgiving them is God's function.

OUR job is to arrange the meeting. " - General Schwarzkopf

He looked really sharp the other night. I may be off because I haven't watched him a ton, but I think the opposing teams really need to keep him in the pocket and try to get some pressure on him. It looks like he throws a good ball in or out, but at least you don't need to worry about his legs when you have him contained in the pocket. I know this is much easier said than done.

That's the thing we really lacked in 2006 and the begining of this year.. Combine that with Mack playing good, Utah will be hard to stop on offense..

Last year, defenses pinned their ears back and caused many turnovers from telegraphed passes from Ratliff..

In regards to the question, it all depends on what you consider "real". I do think this is a bowl team (IOW, no 2005 style collapses). However, they probably aren't MWC champ level just yet. The defense is stout and the Pokes can take on anyone at the WAR. The problem is special teams and inconsistent passing game. Both of these continue to result in turnovers and giving up good field position to the opposition. The Poke defense is good, but you can't set the other team up at the Wyoming 15 and expect the D to hold them scoreless.

I really like the future of the program. A very young team overall with steady improvements in recruiting and facilities (just landed another verbal from a player who had offers from both CSU and WYO...the ledger is becoming quite one-sided over the last 2 years), but they aren't there yet.

Obviously, I hope that they shore up these areas and roll through the MWC slate, but the reality is that these deficiencies will hold the Pokes back from a MWC title this year.

In regards to the question, it all depends on what you consider "real". I do think this is a bowl team (IOW, no 2005 style collapses).

Wyo could have easily won 10 games last year.. No lie... I think Wyo and their fans are perfect for a bowl game.. Glenn represents the MWC very well with is personality.. Pokes travel pretty well when their team is rolling...

I can't wait until some clown fanbase(opposing conference) overlooks the Pokes like always..

Are the Pokes for real?

To be honest, this could be Wyoming's year not only to win the MWC in football, but in men's basketball as well. Though they aren't the favorite in either, this could be their year to sweep the big two just like Utah did in 2004 and BYU did in 2006. If they fix the two problems they share with BYU -road difficulty and turnovers- that is.

#20 BYU 14, #3 Oklahoma 13

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#14 BYU 44, #16 Oregon State 20

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

Are the Pokes for real?

To be honest, this could be Wyoming's year not only to win the MWC in football, but in men's basketball as well. Though they aren't the favorite in either, this could be their year to sweep the big two just like Utah did in 2004 and BYU did in 2006. If they fix the two problems they share with BYU -road difficulty and turnovers- that is.

Shhhh.....don't talk about the Basketball team....we like not being mentioned. I like our chances with one of the best backcourts in the nation.

4-1 sounds a lot like 2005. Pokes were happy and Bramlet was superman, until the next 4-5 games... I'm a Joe Glenn fan all the way but is this Pokes team for real this year?

The USU and Ohio games were iffy, IMO...Boise is always tough on the blue(especially with piped crowd noise as per Glenn ;) ) TCU and UVA were convincing. I thought Wyo would be mid pack in the summer.. I really think they are at a crossroads right now..

Where do they go from here MWC fans?

As much as I hope this is the year for the Pokes, I think they may still be a year out from taking the Conference Crown. I hope I'm wrong, but, the young OL is still learning and might be exposed by someone on the road. Also special teams hasn't been too special and almost cost them the game against TCU. So Wyoming better shore up this area or they're going to get bit in the butt.

I too am worried about SLC and the Utes. Knowing Wyoming's luck, the Utes will have their schizza together the day they step on to RES. Besides, I'm sure the Utes are still smarting from last year's drubbing in Laramie and want some pay back.

I think Wyoming will go undefeated at home, but there are a lot of land mines out there on the road. Now having said that, I've been suppressing any thoughts of the Pokes taking the MWC crown this year. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. But it's not out of the realm of possibility if everything breaks just right for the Cowboys. Sometimes a little luck is all you need.

No matter the outcome, I am sure enjoying the ride. Life as a Cowboy fan really sucked back in the Koenning era. So I can really appreciate what we've got going now.

PokeNation: Internet Society of Wyoming fans everywhere