Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mars

Is it Time CSU's Lubbick Retires?

Should Sonny Lubbick retire after this season?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sonny Lubbick retire after this season?

• CSU Fan- YES!
    • CSU Fan- NO!
    • CSU Fan- Too early in the season still to say.
    • CSU Fan- I don't care.
    • Non-Ram: Yes
    • Non-Ram: No
    • Non-Ram: Too early in the season to tell
    • Non-Ram: I don't care

No doubt Sonny is a great coach who's had a wonderful run, but has the game passed him by? Is it time for him to step aside and let new blood in?

CSU fans, you have your finger on the pulse and would know best.

I'm also curious as to what fans of other programs think about your situation there.

#20 BYU 14, #3 Oklahoma 13

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#14 BYU 44, #16 Oregon State 20

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

No doubt Sonny is a great coach who's had a wonderful run, but has the game passed him by? Is it time for him to step aside and let new blood in?

CSU fans, you have your finger on the pulse and would know best.

I'm also curious as to what fans of other programs think about your situation there.

He has assembled a staff that is not D-1 caliber.

There were huge issues with special teams over the past several years and huge issues with the offensive line last year. Yet Sonny chose to retain the assistants.

In 2004, CSU hired Steve Stanard from New Mexico State to be their defensive coordinator. Since his hire, CSU has never been able to stop the run and consistently ranks near the bottom in rushing defense and points allowed. He has not shown himself capable of coaching at the MWC level.

And since Sonny's son Matt left (he's now with Erickson at ASU), the recruiting has fallen off dramatically. What little CSU has left on the field are Matt Lubick recruits. There are very few replacements waiting in ther wings that are MWC -caliber players.

Sonny will never fire an assistant. He was fired at Montana State about 25 years ago for that reason and he is on record as saying that he just won't fire anyone.

This year's senior-laden team has already given up. They were berated and torn down by theis position coaches after the season-opening loss to CU and you've seen the results. From a fan perspective, they are unwatchable unless you know the kids - many of whom can't wait to get out of there.

There were huge issues with special teams over the past several years and huge issues with the offensive line last year. Yet Sonny chose to retain the assistants.

In 2004, CSU hired Steve Stanard from New Mexico State to be their defensive coordinator. Since his hire, CSU has never been able to stop the run and consistently ranks near the bottom in rushing defense and points allowed. He has not shown himself capable of coaching at the MWC level.

And since Sonny's son Matt left (he's now with Erickson at ASU), the recruiting has fallen off dramatically. What little CSU has left on the field are Matt Lubick recruits. There are very few replacements waiting in ther wings that are MWC -caliber players.

Sonny will never fire an assistant. He was fired at Montana State about 25 years ago for that reason and he is on record as saying that he just won't fire anyone.

This year's senior-laden team has already given up. They were berated and torn down by theis position coaches after the season-opening loss to CU and you've seen the results. From a fan perspective, they are unwatchable unless you know the kids - many of whom can't wait to get out of there.

Does CSU have the money to get fire him? I'm sure there's a buyout involved here.

...Since Sonny's son Matt left (he's now with Erickson at ASU), the recruiting has fallen off dramatically. What little CSU has left on the field are Matt Lubick recruits. There are very few replacements waiting in ther wings that are MWC -caliber players.

Would Matt be considered as a possible successor to his dad?

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

Would Matt be considered as a possible successor to his dad?

I don't think so. He's never held a coordinator position.

Former assistants who are now in the NFL like Steve Fairchild and Rick Dennison would be candidates. As would former CSU players J.D. Brookhart (HC at Akron) and Billy Gonzalez (Assistant at Florida). And the Athletic Director has ties to the Midwest so I'm sure there would be other candidates.

Sonny has lost all of his core coaches he brought in in the 90's. Some of those include Urban Meyer, Steve Fairfchild, John Benton, Larry Kerr.

For the most part he has replaced them with terrible coaches, as Swoll pointed out. The only guy worth a darn is James Ward(secondary coach)which in my opinion is the only strength on the team right now.

I think Hanie is a good player, he's just hamstrung by the awful coaches. Seriously, did anyone else wathcing the game notice if there was any rhyme or reason to any of the playcalling?

CSU has talent...it is being wasted.

CSU would have to pay $1,000,000 to buy out Sonny.

Plus a new coach would cost at least $750,000 per year for about 3 or 4 years and start paying assistants more too.

Paul K. has a lot to workout the next few weeks...I'm not sure CSU wins a game this season, the players have quit.

CSU would have to pay $1,000,000 to buy out Sonny.

Plus a new coach would cost at least $750,000 per year for about 3 or 4 years and start paying assistants more too.

Paul K. has a lot to workout the next few weeks...I'm not sure CSU wins a game this season, the players have quit.

CSU will win next week. It did not look like they quit against TCU. TCU was at home and they are more talented than CSU.

CSU has a very good chance of being 4-4 in a few weeks. They just have to limit their mistakes.

SDSU is athletic , but not all that good. AFA is a beatable team, and you have them at home. CSU has never lost in Las Vegas. You have Utah at home. Depending on the week they may kill you or you could shut them out.

October will be the month of the RAM.

Of course then you will lose to BYU and UNM on the road. Add a free win from Georgia Southern.

Then the game of the year for CSU and Wyoming. I think CSU is going to be wearing Bronze boots after this game.

CVEcMlXUEAAtMZW.png

Where are all the CSU fans? :unsure: :unsure:

But as has been said above, I don't think the players quit against Cal or TCU. They disappeared against Houston, but only after assuming a commanding lead. Perhaps they are just out-of-shape and are running our of gas on both offense and defense in the 2nd half.

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

I marked yes, not that it is my decision, but sometimes change needs to happen. The real question is does Notre Dame fire Weis after his soon to be 0-8 start.

By the way, I really miss Lubick's old teams of hard nosed football led by great rb's and solid defenses. If Lubbick could somehow get that back then I would love to see him stay till he retired, but I thought this was the season to do that and they are still losing, like they forgot how to win.

Where are all the CSU fans? :unsure: :unsure:

But as has been said above, I don't think the players quit against Cal or TCU. They disappeared against Houston, but only after assuming a commanding lead. Perhaps they are just out-of-shape and are running our of gas on both offense and defense in the 2nd half.

The players didn't quit during the first 2 games.

They have against the the last 2 though. I should be more specific...the offense quit.

The defense plays hard the whole game the problem is CSU's DC has his head up his +++. :angry:

Our Playcalling is weak, our D can't stop anyone when it matters, our O-line is awful, Special teams have been +++++ for 4 years now. We are 0-11 since last year. I love Sonny but we have to make a change or CSU will be in real trouble for several years.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

Some will say they like the easy wins, but I feel differently about that. I want every team in the league to best possible. Competition is good. If the problem is the staff, hire a better one. If the guy is just too old, then he should consider stepping down after a great career there.

CSU is also the cheapest "big school" in the league as far as budget. They need to improve on their spending and willingness to succeed as a program.

Are recruiting over the past few years has been solid, with plenty of "MWC-caliber" players. Take a look before you start speaking out of your Azz, Lee Corso.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...3fseason%3d2007

It's only a matter of time....

Take a look before you start speaking out of your Azz, Lee Corso.

Another example of Cam not being able to look his team square in the face.. Your team is 0-4 and you were crying only weeks ago about MWC fans not giving CSU any respect and counting them as a title contender..

I love how you throw out personal insults to your own fanbase because they might see it differently than you... Maybe Lubick doesn't have it anymore, it could be that simple...

Another example of Cam not being able to look his team square in the face.. Your team is 0-4 and you were crying only weeks ago about MWC fans not giving CSU any respect and counting them as a title contender..

I love how you throw out personal insults to your own fanbase because they might see it differently than you... Maybe Lubick doesn't have it anymore, it could be that simple...

Wow! Your the man! You got me.

I have come to the realization that CSU is probably not bowl bound. Yeah, before the season started I was representing CSU hard, like everyone esle on this board. But I have NOT been claiming that CSU will be the MWC champs since their first defeat to CU.

Yeah maybe I shouldnt have been so sarcastic with my comment but I feel that CSU gets quality recruits and most experts would agree.

Are you looking for an arguement, utenation? Was there was really any reason for you to respond to my comment in the first place?

It's only a matter of time....