Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

14dsgraham14

2007 Season Predictions: BYU

9/1 BYU vs. Arizona: The Cougars always play well in home openers (exception '05 vs. BC) and I expect much the same. AZ is tough and will give the Cougars fits all game. The Cougars make 1 more play this year and put the Wildcats away. BYU 27 AZ 21.

9/8 BYU at UCLA: The last time BYU played UCLA in the Rose Bowl they got beat down ('93 68-14). Although I don't expect an outcome anywhere near approaching that, I'd say the Bruins are definitely the favorite in this one. BYU fans finally get an up close and personal look at Ben Olsen and will be reminded why we wish he was roaming the grass at LES instead of the Rose Bowl. UCLA 38 BYU 21

9/15 BYU at Tulsa: Tulsa will be looking for payback from last season's visit to Provo. BYU should win this game but it is going to be a fight to the very end. BYU 34 Tulsa 24.

9/22 BYU vs. AFA: DeBerry couldn't win in Provo and neither will the new coach. BYU 45 AFA 24

9/29 BYU at UNM: This has the makings of a real fight. The Lobos would love nothing more than to knock the Cougars off at home and always play BYU tough there. For some reason though, BYU always finds a way to get past the Lobos. BYU 31 UNM 27

10/13 BYU at UNLV: Hmmm...will Rocky Hinds stay healthy? Will anyone in Vegas even care? This could be a home crowd for BYU in Vegas as the apathetic Rebel fans just seem to not care. The Rebels scare me though because they are athletic and just maybe can figure out how to put it together. BYU 42 UNLV 27

10/20 BYU vs. E. Wash.: I was sad to see a 1AA team added to the schedule. It doesn't do BYU or any MWC team any good to play 1AA schools. That being said, it will give the regulars some rest and give the backups some much needed experience. BYU 49 EWU 10.

10/27 BYU at SDSU: The Aztecs can be a real pain the arse. The Jeckyll and Hyde routine they always seem to pull off can bite a good team in the butt. Here's hoping that they decide not to show up for this one but I'm not counting on it. BYU 28 SDSU 26.

11/3 BYU vs. CSU: The Rams are just not the same Rams from a few years back that utterly decimated the Cougars in Provo. BYU 34 CSU 17

11/8 BYU vs. TCU: BYU and TCU on a short week in early November in Provo. Having been on the sideline for the '05 game against TCU, I can say that was one crazy game. The Frogs are the favorite for a reason and this is going to be a fight. Here's hoping the weather comes into play and slows the Frogs down a bit. I'll go with BYU 24 TCU 21 on a last second field goal. No bad snaps this time.

11/17 BYU at Wyo.: This is a real scary game to me for several reasons. 1) Mid-November in Laramie is not pleasant. The wind, cold, and likely snow will be brutal. 2) The Cowboys aren't bad and have some good players that can get things done. 3) The Cowboys and Wyoming faithful loathe BYU and everything LDS it seems. This game will be a fight and will get ugly. This will be a close one. BYU 28 Wyoming 24

11/24 BYU vs. Utah: The Cougars haven't beat Utah in Provo since '01. After last year's classic battle and the previous year's OT thriller, this series is back on track for some exciting football games. The Utes will have BJ back and I expect a big year from him and the receiving corps. I'm still not sure though if the Utes will be able to run the ball. Asiata adds some power but the run game needs to be vastly improved. The Cougs have to show up for all 4 quarters in Provo, not jut the second half like in '05. BYU 34 Utah 31.

My Homerific heart has BYU at 11-1 with a loss to UCLA being the lone blemish. The realist side in me sees the TCU, Utah, and Wyoming games as toss-up games that could very easily go either way. There may be 1 more game that sneaks in and bites the Cougs as well (SDSU or UNM). BYU should be no worse than 8-4 or 9-3.

TMays360-vi.pngHarveyUnga11Cover.png

There's an awful lot of MWC teams on our prediction list scoring 20+ pts on BYU there graham. Considering last year's defense and what's coming back I think you're being a bit generous to MWC offenses.........

AFA, UNLV, SDSU, UNM, and Wyoming will NOT all score 20+ pts on BYU.

Utah is the ONLY given in this conference to do so IMO.

v0icAvfW.jpg

There's an awful lot of MWC teams on our prediction list scoring 20+ pts on BYU there graham. Considering last year's defense and what's coming back I don't think you're being a bit generous to MWC offenses.........

I hope that you are right on this one but I need to see more than just 1 season of the defense keeping points down. I agree though, the defense SHOULD keep points way down.

The defense is going to be excellent, so that bodes well for BYU in close games...even with green kickers.

Still, @ SDSU, @ WYO and @ UNM are tough trips. BYU has struggled in San Diego lately, and Laramie in November - that's just brutal. Most of the recent games with UNM, TCU, and Utah have been barnburners.

Consequently, I expect BYU to lose 2 or more league games - from the Utah/TCU/@WYO/@SDSU/@UNM pool. AFA, CSU and UNLV do not scare me.

I do agree that the Cougars will probably beat Arizona - and I'll go further - I think UCLA is being made into a world beater that they are not. Early in the year, much can happen. BYU's D and line play may carry that day yet...but TOs will be the key, one way or another.

I'm hoping for 9-3 and another Vegas Bowl victory against a Pac-10 foe.

Go Cougars

Az is a key game. A loss will start the season on a sour note for BYU and the league. A win and Sat Sept 8th becomes a big night for the league- BYU@ UCLA and TCU @ UT are on at the same time that night.

At Wyoming and at UNM are tough road games for the Cougars in league action. A loss out of one of those two wouldn't surprise.

IMO TCU vs. BYU is going to be a defensive struggle, opposite of the game in Provo two years ago. I would not be surprised to see that game with a score of 10-7 or 13-10. TCUs defense will be the best TCU has ever put on the field, and BYUs defense should be good also especially in up front.

LR5h5.St.58.jpg

If things go right for BYU: Hall comes through with 'decent' play, health in the D-line, the young TEs play well and Vakapuna gets through a year healthy for the first time in his career, the 8-4 is possible. Loses to AZ, UCLA, TCU and Utah...

To BYU fans that are thinking 10-2? Well anything is possible but, honestly 6-6 is just as possible as 10-2.

I would not be shocked if BYU upset (yes upset) AZ in Provo but, I think that game is as or more likely to be a cruel reality check to BYU fans... I don't see BYU's vaunted O-line controlling the LOS and the inexperienced skill player for BYU are going to have a nightmare with AZ team speed on D.

Now if Hall is more Robbie Bosco than Sean Covey...Then that changes things but, as a Utah fan I can tell my Zoob friends from experiance that the concept of a good running game and solid D when you have a poor kicking game (and let's face it BYU special teams look like crap right now) doesn't lead to close wins it leads to close loses.

:D

I LOVE how there's a nice thread about the Utes and our resident "BYU-hating know-it-all" feels the need to write a novel on the BYU prediction thread like he's some Cougar expert. To make it even funnier is that he whines like a little baby when people call him out as a BYU hater first and Utah fan second. :blink:

v0icAvfW.jpg

Not that i expect byu fans to answer the following question. How do you beat the byu defense? The byu defense has size & quickness. The byu defense does not miss asigments, & plays with pride. The byu defense is very quick & is always in the backfield. The byu defense knows how to read the other teams offense. Short passes & running are no good against byu. Byu can intercept the ball & cause turnovers. I think that teams have to throw deep against byu. You have to match speed with speed. The byu defense is disciplined & does not take alot of penalties. The tcu defense might be slightly better. The tcu defense has alot of expirience. The tcu & byu defenses are some of the best defenses that i have ever seen. Im just worried about the tcu offense. Who is going to be the tcu qb?

Well responding to a TCU Robert post is always a challenge... However the question is solid, only I would like to turn it:

Why the hell did the rest of you guys have problems scoring on BYU last year? Utah coaches and players had little doubt that they were going to be able to move the ball and score points on BYU last year and Utah did score 31 point and out-gained BYU in their game last year.

BYU and Bronco made some smart if ego-swallowing decisions last year junking his pet 3-3-5 with it's complex blitzes and shells coverage schemes. in favor of a very vanilla 3-4 zone scheme. It made sense because BYU's entire corp of DB quite frankly suck at Man-to-Man coverage, the 90% zone coverage (with some good fundamental coaching from a new DB coach) hid a lot of that weakness. BYU also had the key positions in a 3-4 scheme (the OLBs) manned by two fine players in Kehl and Nixon. BYU typically blitzed one of the two and played 7 men back in zone.

Utah coaches were quite confident that the "Zone Attack" passing game out of Utah's spread was going to give BYU fits and it did... Of course it helped that while Brett Ratliff had holes in his game as a QB one of the things that he did very well was throw the seam patterns vs. zones. In turn when BYU started to bring more than 4 rushers then Utah just got the ball to "speed in space" and Wilson and Casteel = humiliated BYU DBs just like Utah WRs have been doing to BYU backs for what? 15 years?

It really doesn't seem like that difficult a recipe to repeat.

I LOVE how there's a nice thread about the Utes and our resident "BYU-hating know-it-all" feels the need to write a novel on the BYU prediction thread like he's some Cougar expert. To make it even funnier is that he whines like a little baby when people call him out as a BYU hater first and Utah fan second. :blink:

Trust me more people are laughing at you... even some BYU fans. :D :P

Well responding to a TCU Robert post is always a challenge...

This reminds me of the movie: The Ringer, starring Johnny Knoxville.. A normal guy AKA "Jeffie" is looking to gain some cash at the expense of handicapped athletes..

Jeffie's spoof backfires in the end.... A lesson to be learned when trying to step on TCU Robert using his drivel as a platform to get to your enemies Vegas... ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267891/plotsummary

Looks like Graham's shipment of Mendenhall flavored Kool Aid just arrived.... Already mixed, poured and down the hatch it seems..

All I can say is John Beck is now a Miami Dolphin...

Natty, did you miss the part where I called these my homeristic picks? Look at the end of my original post.

There's an awful lot of MWC teams on our prediction list scoring 20+ pts on BYU there graham. Considering last year's defense and what's coming back I think you're being a bit generous to MWC offenses.........

Wow.... BYU goes from averaging 14.7 points per game in 2006 to 29.0 points per game with a thought to be better D in 2007....

:unsure:

Well responding to a TCU Robert post is always a challenge... However the question is solid, only I would like to turn it:

Why the hell did the rest of you guys have problems scoring on BYU last year? Utah coaches and players had little doubt that they were going to be able to move the ball and score points on BYU last year and Utah did score 31 point and out-gained BYU in their game last year.

BYU and Bronco made some smart if ego-swallowing decisions last year junking his pet 3-3-5 with it's complex blitzes and shells coverage schemes. in favor of a very vanilla 3-4 zone scheme. It made sense because BYU's entire corp of DB quite frankly suck at Man-to-Man coverage, the 90% zone coverage (with some good fundamental coaching from a new DB coach) hid a lot of that weakness. BYU also had the key positions in a 3-4 scheme (the OLBs) manned by two fine players in Kehl and Nixon. BYU typically blitzed one of the two and played 7 men back in zone.

Utah coaches were quite confident that the "Zone Attack" passing game out of Utah's spread was going to give BYU fits and it did... Of course it helped that while Brett Ratliff had holes in his game as a QB one of the things that he did very well was throw the seam patterns vs. zones. In turn when BYU started to bring more than 4 rushers then Utah just got the ball to "speed in space" and Wilson and Casteel = humiliated BYU DBs just like Utah WRs have been doing to BYU backs for what? 15 years?

It really doesn't seem like that difficult a recipe to repeat.

Can somebody help me out here. Who won the BYU/youta game last year? ewetah scored 31 and humiliated BYU's D. Had to be a utar win.

GO COUGARS!

Can somebody help me out here. Who won the BYU/youta game last year? ewetah scored 31 and humiliated BYU's D. Had to be a utar win.

Ah, you never passed a logic class did you?

Fact: Utah had no problem moving the ball and scoring points on BYU's defense...

Also fact: BYU had no problems moving the ball and Utah's Defense, in fact had just a few less yards and a few less points in the 60 minutes of the game... Alas the few seconds after the clock hit zero were the difference pointwise. Beck made the clutch play and he gets the credit for it but that play does not really erase the rest of the game does it?

BYU won congratulations but obviously Utah had no problems with BYU's defense, did they? <_<

Ah, you never passed a logic class did you?

Fact: Utah had no problem moving the ball and scoring points on BYU's defense...

Also fact: BYU had no problems moving the ball and Utah's Defense, in fact had just a few less yards and a few less points in the 60 minutes of the game... Alas the few seconds after the clock hit zero were the difference pointwise. Beck made the clutch play and he gets the credit for it but that play does not really erase the rest of the game does it?

BYU won congratulations but obviously Utah had no problems with BYU's defense, did they? <_<

Actually never took one. But I have made out in life. Fact. BYU 31 ewetah 31. All of the yout logic in the world doesn't change that.

GO COUGARS!