Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The YSMACK

Who are your ALL-MWC selections?

How does anyone put Bryan Kehl on the first team at linebacker ahead of Drew Fowler? Fowler had 110 tackles to Kehl's 84 and they both had 3 interceptions.

In Kehl's "defense," he was the leader of the BYU defense, and our D was pretty good this year. Also, he returned a pick for a TD, chased down the Air Force QB from behind, and essentially sacked the TCU QB on 4th down to end the game. I'm not sure if Fowler is a senior, but Kehl is, and that may play into it a little bit as well. He is an NFL-caliber backer, and the best athlete on our D.

Go Cougs!!!!!!!!!!

In Kehl's "defense," he was the leader of the BYU defense, and our D was pretty good this year. Also, he returned a pick for a TD, chased down the Air Force QB from behind, and essentially sacked the TCU QB on 4th down to end the game. I'm not sure if Fowler is a senior, but Kehl is, and that may play into it a little bit as well. He is an NFL-caliber backer, and the best athlete on our D.

Go Cougs!!!!!!!!!!

By that criteria O'Connell should've been 1st team and Max Hall 2nd.

"Once an Aztec, Always an Aztec"

CSU Fresno: Accepting SDSU's sloppy seconds since 1911.

By that criteria O'Connell should've been 1st team and Max Hall 2nd.

I would actually be OK with O'Connel on the 1st team over Hall, as he made a believer out of me. But, leading the SDSU offense is a little different from leading a nationally ranked defense in an undefeated conference year. We only have one other first team selection on defense, and one second team, so someone must be playing well.

Here are his stats for the whole year, so you can judge:

Tackles: 48 Solo, 36 Assisted, 84 total.

4 Sacks-27 yards, 11 TFL - 48 yards, 1 QB Hurry

3 picks, 75 yards, 1 TD. 4 pass breakups.

1 forced fumble. 1 fumble recovery.

Post the stats of your favorite backer that was left off, and see how well they compare.

Go Cougs!!!!!!!!!

Go Cougs!!!!!!!!!!

Making big plays is important. Fowler is a senior as well and this is his second season recording 110 tackles. I think Kehl got the nod because of his 11 tackles for loss compared to 1.5 for Fowler. That's the differnece between an outside linebacker and a middle linebacker. I guess you can't have a middle linebacker on the All-Conference team.

Congratulations, but seriously, if those guys are really that talented, then why did your offense suck? You had 6 1st team guys on offense, yet they were 7th in rushing offense, 5th in pass offense, 8th in total offense and 7th in scoring offense in conference games.

Ferguson is a tough dude, but he should have been the last selection for 2nd team and not on the first team at all. At least in my opinion. Here is a break down:

Rushing Yards-

Hall- 1415

Unga- 1211

Ferguson- 1177

Mack- 1128

YPC

Hall- 6.7

Unga- 5.3

mack- 4.9

Ferguson- 4.0

Rushing TDs

Hall- 14

Unga- 13

Ferguson- 13

Mack- 10

Recieving yards

Unga- 629

Hall- 488

Ferguson 264

Mack- 113

Recieving Tds

Unga- 3

Hall- 1

Ferguson- 1

Mack- 0

Your receivers are awesome and you have some good OL, but I can't help but scratch my head at some of these selections. Is Long really such a bad coach that he can't do anything with this talent?

Your (conveniently?) not including receieving yards in whihc Ferguson led the rbs of the MWC. Also this is an indiicuals award. not a teams as much. individually there is no rb that is as dominant, on a one on one basis- or tough to bring down- as ferguson. I lost track a looong time ago watching ferguson carry 2 3 and 4 guys another few yards or watching one guy have him wrapped up and a second later ferguson somehow had his cleats on top of the defender as he was suddenly freed up again. It was really awesome to watch. While UNM has 2 of the best 0 linemen we also had 2 really poi O linemen as well- neither of which had seen playing time before this year, but were suddenly starters due to depth issues...

As for Rocky he, unlike some HC's , gives absolute free reign to our OC Baldwin.

Ill also add this. The QB is, by far, the most important player on the offense. If you have an excellent QB a good line and good receivers (BUY) you are a lot better off than an avergae QB, with an avergae line, and great rb's and wr's (UNM). I see Porterie getting better and better- great arm, very athletic, still getting acclimated. Like I said elsewhere UNM had 2 great O linemen (top 10 overall and top 1 or 2 at their position) but also 2 bottom 20 O linemen. hence an "average-good line (especially after the midway point when we lost a great o linemen for the season.

Making big plays is important. Fowler is a senior as well and this is his second season recording 110 tackles. I think Kehl got the nod because of his 11 tackles for loss compared to 1.5 for Fowler. That's the differnece between an outside linebacker and a middle linebacker. I guess you can't have a middle linebacker on the All-Conference team.

It could be the inside/outside backer difference. Two straight years of 110 tackles is really quite amazing. Were there any inside backers on the first team?

Go Cougs!!!!!

No, all three are OL's.

The linebacker issue (OLBs vs MLBs or ILBS) is interesting but, this is not as funny as 2005 when (iirc) 4 of the 5 All-MWC O-Linemen were Centers. :P

(I thought a mythical team that started 4 Centers could do some interesting shifts into unbalanced lines).

Fowler has been an outstanding LB for AFA but, I must admit if I had to choose I would pick Kehl first. In fact he would probably be on a lot of people's DPOY ballot as one of the top 3 Defenders in the league regardless of position.

Your (conveniently?) not including receieving yards in whihc Ferguson led the rbs of the MWC. Also this is an indiicuals award. not a teams as much. individually there is no rb that is as dominant, on a one on one basis- or tough to bring down- as ferguson. I lost track a looong time ago watching ferguson carry 2 3 and 4 guys another few yards or watching one guy have him wrapped up and a second later ferguson somehow had his cleats on top of the defender as he was suddenly freed up again. It was really awesome to watch. While UNM has 2 of the best 0 linemen we also had 2 really poi O linemen as well- neither of which had seen playing time before this year, but were suddenly starters due to depth issues...

As for Rocky he, unlike some HC's , gives absolute free reign to our OC Baldwin.

Ill also add this. The QB is, by far, the most important player on the offense. If you have an excellent QB a good line and good receivers (BUY) you are a lot better off than an avergae QB, with an avergae line, and great rb's and wr's (UNM). I see Porterie getting better and better- great arm, very athletic, still getting acclimated. Like I said elsewhere UNM had 2 great O linemen (top 10 overall and top 1 or 2 at their position) but also 2 bottom 20 O linemen. hence an "average-good line (especially after the midway point when we lost a great o linemen for the season.

Dude, I did include receiving yardage and Unga kills Ferguson there. Not sure what you're talking about.