Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maize

So this is the reason why the ACC expanded

big_east.gif

The ACC tried to kill a league and make a money grab and this is the result. This is funny as hell and IMO proof that not every league should not expand to 12 teams to get a Championship game.

The real proof of the failure is

a) the TV ratings for the game

B) how much sponsorship money the league got in total.

Ticket sales mean jack to the conference -- they're gravy compared to the money the conference got from Dr. Pepper to sponsor the game, from ESPN.ABC to televise the game, and from all the other corporate sponsors they got to pony up for all the fan stuff. The ACC makes its money on it's basketball tournament, not the FB championship game.

Championship games, like championship tournaments are about making money, not putting butts in the seats. Ticket sales mean nothing to them.

Does it look bad. Sure it does. I'm sure the ACC is crying about that crowd shot all the way to the bank.

Ticket sales mean jack to the conference -- they're gravy compared to the money the conference got from Dr. Pepper to sponsor the game, from ESPN.ABC to televise the game, and from all the other corporate sponsors they got to pony up for all the fan stuff. The ACC makes its money on it's basketball tournament, not the FB championship game.

Championship games, like championship tournaments are about making money, not putting butts in the seats. Ticket sales mean nothing to them.

Does it look bad. Sure it does. I'm sure the ACC is crying about that crowd shot all the way to the bank.

The TV ratings for that game have not been what was forcast by Swofford and if this kind of attendence continues I doubt they will be able to command the dollars they promise the old guard and the schools coming in.

The only league that does this right is the SEC. IF they want to save themselves from this embarrassment they need to move the game to Charlotte, NC. Jacksonville, Fl is Gator and SEC Country.

The bad attendance can mostly be blamed on Boston College and their poor fan support. From the looks of the picture, Virginia Tech had a decent showing. Plus Virginia Tech vs. Boston College is not exactely the type of game that draws a large local contingent of casual fans.

LR5h5.St.58.jpg

The TV ratings for that game have not been what was forcast by Swofford and if this kind of attendence continues I doubt they will be able to command the dollars they promise the old guard and the schools coming in.

The only league that does this right is the SEC. IF they want to save themselves from this embarrassment they need to move the game to Charlotte, NC. Jacksonville, Fl is Gator and SEC Country.

The ACC is already commanding the money, from the looks of the sponsorship list on their website.

And I disagree on the second point -- the Big XII seems to do the championship game thing pretty well.

Third point -- I agree. Having the game in Charlotte seems to be perfect.

The Big East got to pick up some good CUSA schools. If the MWC took the top WAC schools, it would kill them due to lack of members to add. ACC with 12 teams is still better than a ACC with 9 teams. I don't think the ACC is regretting taking VT, BC, and Miami.

Being in ACC country, moving it to a more central location makes more sense. Having Boston and Virginia fans traveling to Miami just doesn't make sense. It couldn't be in Baltimore, because they host Army-Navy the same weekend, which is a HUGE draw in this area.

big_east.gif

The ACC tried to kill a league and make a money grab and this is the result. This is funny as hell and IMO proof that not every league should not expand to 12 teams to get a Championship game.

accchampionshipgame.jpg

Hmmm... Anyone remember the OLD WAC championship game in Las Vegas? Colorado St and New Mexico? I believe there were 12,000 people at the game. It was the same day UNLV played against Michigan in basketball.

Maize,

The ACC expansion put Louisville, USF, and Cincy in a BCS conference. If I were in your shoes, I would say a little thank you to ACC every day. All that is needed is to find a central location for the ACC game and Charlotte makes the most sense. Both BE and ACC have renegotiated their contracts and have very fine tv deals, both football and basketball. Both BE and ACC should tweak and improve their bowl tie ins in the next round of negotiations.

TG

If being a failure is:

1. putting a team in a BCS bowl

2. having 8 teams eligible for bowls

3. 7 bowl tie-ins not including BCS bowl (Champs Sports, Chick-fil-A, Emerald, Gaylord Hotels Music City, Meineke Car Care, MPC Computers, Toyota Gator.)

4. 5 of those bowls with bigger payouts then the best mtn bowl

BCS 11-17 mil

Gator 2.5 mil

Peach 2.4 mil

Champ 2 mil

Music City 1.1

5. 4 teams ranked in the top 25

Sounds like a whole lot of failure that the Mountain West would love to be apart of...

Hmmm... Anyone remember the OLD WAC championship game in Las Vegas? Colorado St and New Mexico? I believe there were 12,000 people at the game. It was the same day UNLV played against Michigan in basketball.

It just depends on who is in the game. BYU/Wyoming in the championship game drew very well as I recall.

If being a failure is:

3. 7 bowl tie-ins not including BCS bowl (Champs Sports, Chick-fil-A, Emerald, Gaylord Hotels Music City, Meineke Car Care, MPC Computers, Toyota Gator.)

BCS 11-17 mil

Gator 2.5 mil

Peach 2.4 mil

Champ 2 mil

Music City 1.1

Sounds like a whole lot of failure that the Mountain West would love to be apart of...

Maize is a Louisville/Big East fan in case you didn't know.

If being a failure is:

BCS 11-17 mil

Gator 2.5 mil

Peach 2.4 mil

Champ 2 mil

Music City 1.1

ACC has great tie ins BUT having around 25K show up for your league title game is a failure.

As for the others most of the other BCS leagues have done the same. The ACC did a good job in getting solid tie ins with bowls even though outside of Clemson, Florida State and Virginia Tech they do not travel well to bowl games.

You're telling us the venue is happy about ticket/concession sales?? Ticket sales mean jack?? I'm sure you have some written proof of this and would love to see that the venue, conference commissioner, University president's, et.al, are all for having a championship game with 14 people in the stands.

MWC Champions 1999, 2003, 2004, 2008

Fiesta Bowl Champions 2005

Sugar Bowl Champions 2009

True, we all know about BYU's fanbase in Las Vegas.

I am kind of surprised by the poor attendance that UNM seems to have in bowls/championship games. They typically represent well at the basketball tournament (as does Utah, BYU, and Wyoming..UNLV doesn't count since they are home).