Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lobomonstro

LA Times: Peterson No. 1 candidate

If you dont understand why the BSU program is successful you must be a fan of cupcake program in the MWC.

BSU is a coaches springboard to everything including head coach of teams in the SEC, PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10 or even the Dallas Cowboys.

Riiiiight.

What former Boise St. coach has gone on to greater success at another school or in the NFL?

Houston Nutt just lost his job at Arkansas and never led them to an SEC championship. Now at Ole Miss: we'll see how he does but it doesn't look good.

Dirk Koetter, fired by Arizona St after a mediocre run.

Dan Hawkins -- the jury is still out but the transition has been shaky. Hey, the Buffs made a bowl with a 6-6 record so rejoice.

Even Jim Criner, from the stone age of Boise football (1976-1982) had no success when he went to Iowa St.

Boise is a great program, but please don't sell us that it's a "coaches springboard" because no former Boise HC has gone on to greater success as of yet.

That's just empty big talk -- which we're used to from you Dr. Evil. But it doesn't make it the right thing do to.

Guest ragtimeJOE

Are you another of the MWC idiots that feels the need to put words into posters mouths when you are failing to defend your own statements.

:lol::lol::lol: Failing to defend your own statements?? You mean like: One has a premier cancer center for his son. LA doesnt.

You wac offs; it just gets better and better.

P.S. I don't give a rats +++ about the bsu coach. I would like to say I am very happy that his son should be going on his 5th cancer free year (unless he's had recent troubles); I hope that this trend continues and he has a very healthy life.

Guest ragtimeJOE

Houston Nutt just lost his job at Arkansas and never led them even to an SEC division championship. Now at Ole Miss: we'll see how he does but it doesn't look good.

Actually, I think Nutt has done a pretty good job at Arkansas. The fans and boosters are the problem there.

Geronimo

One factaul error.

Houston Nutt won 2 SEC West Championships.

Nice catch.

However, Nutt won no overall SEC titles and was just relieved of his job because of it.

By bluerules' own definition, Nutt didn't have more success at Arkansas because he won league titles at BSU but did not at Arkansas. "Coaching springboards" usually lead to greater things in the future. Not just a job.

So we have one coach out of a dozen or so BSU head coaches who've gone on to have success elsewhere -- and he still didn't top his accomplishments at BSU.

And Koetter OC at Jacksonville?

Props to Dirk for landing on his feet and being the OC for the second place Jags of the AFC South.

But he hasn't won anything yet -- and certainly hasn't surpassed his accomplishments at BSU.

Nice catch.

However, Nutt won no overall SEC titles and was just relieved of his job because of it.

By bluerules' own definition, Nutt didn't have more success at Arkansas because he won league titles at BSU but did not at Arkansas. "Coaching springboards" usually lead to greater things in the future. Not just a job.

So we have one coach out of a dozen or so BSU head coaches who've gone on to have success elsewhere -- and he still didn't top his accomplishments at BSU.

And Koetter OC at Jacksonville?

Props to Dirk for landing on his feet and being the OC for the second place Jags of the AFC South.

But he hasn't won anything yet -- and certainly hasn't surpassed his accomplishments at BSU.

Tony Knap was pretty good for UNLV.

BSU has only been D1A for what, 11 years? Rarely do coaches get the Tier 1 jobs from a D1AA program. I can't understand people knocking what Blaymeier has done in terms of hiring for BSU. It's been nothing short of an amazing run, especially at a time when 1 bad move could have set that program back 10 years. For their coaches to get jobs like Arkansas, Arizona St., and Colorado in succession is pretty remarkable.

BSU's gonna crap out on a coaching hire one of these days, though. It's bound to happen.

Tony Knap was pretty good for UNLV.

BSU has only been D1A for what, 11 years? Rarely do coaches get the Tier 1 jobs from a D1AA program. I can't understand people knocking what Blaymeier has done in terms of hiring for BSU. It's been nothing short of an amazing run, especially at a time when 1 bad move could have set that program back 10 years. For their coaches to get jobs like Arkansas, Arizona St., and Colorado in succession is pretty remarkable.

BSU's gonna crap out on a coaching hire one of these days, though. It's bound to happen.

Dude, the point has nothing to do with BSU's hires or even their actual virtues.

It has everything to do with the fact that Dr. Evil/bluerules just runs his mouth without a shred of proof, basing everything on his deluded ideas about BSU FB and rarely on fact.

BSU has done an amazing job finding coaches to continue the program's success. But other than Nutt, none of them have even sniffed the success they had at BSU. That is my central point -- the truth versus bluerules' "coaching springboard" BS.

Springboards usually propel people higher. Other then Nutt, none of them have achieved greater success. A job in the NFL is great, but as BSU fans constantly tell us here, it's wins and losses than count. Not your job title. Unless you're from BSU. Then it's the title you hold not the W-Ls.

Riiiiight.

What former Boise St. coach has gone on to greater success at another school or in the NFL?

Houston Nutt just lost his job at Arkansas and never led them to an SEC championship. Now at Ole Miss: we'll see how he does but it doesn't look good.

Dan Hawkins -- the jury is still out but the transition has been shaky. Hey, the Buffs made a bowl with a 6-6 record so rejoice.

Even Jim Criner, from the stone age of Boise football (1976-1982) had no success when he went to Iowa St.

Boise is a great program, but please don't sell us that it's a "coaches springboard" because no former Boise HC has gone on to greater success as of yet.

That's just empty big talk -- which we're used to from you Dr. Evil. But it doesn't make it the right thing do to.

You just proved my point and your so clueless you dont understand why.

The BSU program makes the coach not the other way around.

Riiiiight.

Actually, Houston Nutt was not fired. He resigned and had a job the next day, having nagotiated a contract with Ole Miss before leaving Arkansas. He got a big pay increase and is the 2 million a year club now. I don't care for Boise, but at least get your facts straight.

The secert is having eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy.

Jerry Tarkanian

I saw this on a UCLA board:

These posts interested me because they show that

1) UCLA fans don't consider the WAC big time

2) They considered Urban Meyers a 2nd tier coach and Peterson a 3rd tier coach.

Doesn't really say much except that those seem to be the perceptions among UCLA fans.

Here's a newsflash. Any mid-level school in a BCS conference can have their pick of any non-AQ school's coach (BSU's, Utah's, Toledo's, etc.) simply because they are able to pay from $1 million to $2 million/year, which would be 2 to 4 times as much as the non-AQ coaches are making. The only exception to this would be a BYU coach, for obvious reasons.

And what tier would they consider Kyle Whittingham? Somehow I don't think he's on UCLA's short list.

You just proved my point and your so clueless you dont understand why.

The BSU program makes the coach not the other way around.

Riiiight.

So when you wrote this:

BSU is a coaches springboard to everything including head coach of teams in the SEC, PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10 or even the Dallas Cowboys.

You meant... what?

That they're still coaching for BSu? Even though they're not at BSu?

Nice try to redirect this to being about how ignorant everyone ELSE is.

So why tout former coaches if "BSu makes the coach not the other way around." IF they leave BSu, by your logic (if you wanna call it that), they're no longer the coach they were when they were at BSu.

Actually, Houston Nutt was not fired. He resigned and had a job the next day, having nagotiated a contract with Ole Miss before leaving Arkansas. He got a big pay increase and is the 2 million a year club now. I don't care for Boise, but at least get your facts straight.

Uh huh.

He was given the choice of resigning or being fired and chose the later. That was pretty clear. It's semantics. Lou Hotlz did the same thing when he coaches Arkansas. The Hogs have a long history of coaches "resigning."

That Nutt had an alternative choice and made out like a bandit by going to a SEC team that hasn't won a conference championship since 1963 and has had two 10-win seasons since then as well.

Guest ragtimeJOE

He was given the choice of resigning or being fired and chose the later. That was pretty clear. It's semantics. Lou Hotlz did the same thing when he coaches Arkansas. The Hogs have a long history of coaches "resigning."

That Nutt had an alternative choice and made out like a bandit by going to a SEC team that hasn't won a conference championship since 1963 and has had two 10-win seasons since then as well.

Just want to make sure the facts are all out there. Arkansas actually offered Nutt a two year extension at about 2.4 mill annually.

Just want to make sure the facts are all out there. Arkansas actually offered Nutt a two year extension at about 2.4 mill annually.

The whole story is a ball of contradictions.

Nutt Turns Down Arkansas' 2-Year Extension

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Embattled Arkansas coach Houston Nutt resigned Monday, giving up his job three days after directing the Razorbacks to a victory over top-ranked LSU. Defensive coordinator Reggie Herring will coach the team in its bowl.

Nutt told Chancellor John A. White that he wanted to close a chapter in his life.

"Houston's decision to resign was neither forced, or encouraged, or requested," White said.

ESPN.com first reported on Monday that the second-longest tenured football coach in the Southeastern Conference would not be back.

Nutt might not remain unemployed for long. Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Nutt and his representative have already had discussions about the former Arkansas coach replacing Ed Orgeron at Ole Miss or Guy Morriss at Baylor.

The Rebels, who also are considering former Washington coach and current Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Rick Neuheisel for the job, apparently are prepared to pay Nutt as much as he was making at Arkansas, close to $2 million per season.

Nutt said he was hopeful that his departure would unify the state, which had been torn with turmoil surrounding the football program.

"Deep, deep down in my heart as an Arkansan, as person who loves the Razorbacks so much, [i wanted] for the state to come together as one," Nutt said. "At this time, I didn't think we could have one heartbeat."

Rumors of Nutt's departure surrounded the program after the loss last winter of key recruits and a popular assistant coach. Trouble mounted for the coach after the Razorbacks lost their first three Southeastern Conference games after a turmoil-filled offseason.

"It's sad that it had to end like this," star running back Darren McFadden said. "Coach Nutt, I love playing for him. He's a great coach."

Arkansas concluded an 8-4 season Friday with a 50-48, triple-overtime upset of then-No. 1 LSU on Friday, and White responded by offering Nutt an annual salary of $2.4 million annually to remain coach, ESPN.com has learned.

This combined with what I've read on the Arkansas message boards leads me to believe that he was on his way out long before he resigned and the extension offer was window dressing.

After all, no AD wants a coach to think that boosters not the AD have the final say in a program. And clearly Arkansas has the "inmates running the asylum." You think the AD would let Nutt leave without making some kind of gesture so he could tell the next coach and recruits "Hey we TRIED to keep him."

Guest ragtimeJOE

I think you are right about questioning who is running the show. I have a friend in Arkansas, and he pretty much thought that Nutt left because of fans, boosters, and the effect they were having on his family. He also mentioned that these same boosters and fans probably had the ear of some in the Athletic Dept. If the extension was legit and sincere is certainly open for speculation. I guess that I tend to think the Athletic Dept would have kept him, but you are right---you never know :unsure:

I think you are right about questioning who is running the show. I have a friend in Arkansas, and he pretty much thought that Nutt left because of fans, boosters, and the effect they were having on his family. He also mentioned that these same boosters and fans probably had the ear of some in the Athletic Dept. If the extension was legit and sincere is certainly open for speculation. I guess that I tend to think the Athletic Dept would have kept him, but you are right---you never know :unsure:

Dude, I'm right there with you.

I figured the more idiotic boosters would get off his back after the win over LSU, but I underestimated how much sway they held over the AD.

The extension was theater for the benefit of the recruits, IMHO -- most coaches know the real deal. But you have to "keep up appearances" as they say in the South.

Keep researching!

According to UCLA, they've contacted him and he is the #1 on their list. According to Pete, they haven't contacted him, and if they do, hes not interested.

Or hes saying BSU is a better gig then the BCS options.

You would need to understand all 3 men a bit better before making judgement calls like that.

*or* thats the whole point. *or*. If the current treatment he is getting is absolutely stellar, why would ANY parent, in their right mind, risk that? Do you think Pete would put making some extra cash over his childs health? I was serious, think before you post.

At what point have I even alluded to being worried? Are you another of the MWC idiots that feels the need to put words into posters mouths when you are failing to defend your own statements. I have NO DOUBT that UCLA doesn't have any chance of getting Pete. None. Zero.

I how do you know how close I follow Boise St? I would bet I've been a Boise St fan longer than you have... I've been a Boise St fan since grade school back in 1971 or 1972 when Jim McMillan was QB for Boise St. In my High Schools years it was players like Cedric Minter, Joe Aliotti, and Randy Trautman (Hell of a DT and my all time favorite Bronco). I went through the 1982-1993 seasons when Idaho beat Boise St 12 straight years in a row, yet I never cheered for the team up North.

Bryan Harsin- Has been at Boise St 7 years just like Chris Petersen. Justin Wilcox might have only been at Boise St for 4 years now, but he has done a very impressive job as the DC under Coach Pete.

:unsure:

Here's a newsflash. Any mid-level school in a BCS conference can have their pick of any non-AQ school's coach (BSU's, Utah's, Toledo's, etc.) simply because they are able to pay from $1 million to $2 million/year, which would be 2 to 4 times as much as the non-AQ coaches are making. The only exception to this would be a BYU coach, for obvious reasons.

And what tier would they consider Kyle Whittingham? Somehow I don't think he's on UCLA's short list.

Petersen already makes more than a million a year and the assistants are paid really well. The number 1 candidate just told UCLA that he didn't want their job. Any and all are foolish words when it comes to human behavior. Newsflash: Your statement didn't hold up one day. Another newsflash: Not all jobs in the AQ conferences are good jobs and not all jobs in the non-AQ conferences are poor paying.