Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Bauer

Is Hawaii going to make it?

Just call them how I see them.  Not trying to ruffle your feathers.  I do remember the good ol days when Nevada was competing year in and year out for Championships at that level.  I remember div 1aa playoff runs etc. etc.  Now if your above .500 its a good year.  University of Idaho is in same boat. 

Um we've been to bowl games 8 of the past 9 years. I'd say we're quite competitive.

What is your team again?

I'm just saying you were really competitive while in the Big Sky. You all look down your noses at it. But its good for the athletes students and fans to be competitive.

Sorry for bringing it up..

No problem. I thought you were trolling a bit and I decided to bite.

Truthfully, I enjoyed watching BS FB when we were in it. We had some good players too.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Um we've been to bowl games 8 of the past 9 years. I'd say we're quite competitive.

What is your team again?

Your right I just looked too.  Your 2 - 6 with losses to schools like New Mexico, Maryland, Southern Miss. 

Go check your runs in the 1AA playoffs.  Much more impressive in my opinion.  I remember those teams and those games.  You had the whole of Northern Nevada fired up for those games.   It's just not the same now.  That is all I'm saying.

"Per HNN, the percentage of subsidies that Hawaii receives from taxes and fees to students puts the school in the bottom half among teams in its conferences. The 40 percent Hawaii gets puts it ninth in the 12-team Mountain West Conference and last in the Big West Conference. Hawaii is a football-only member of the MWC and a member of the Big West in all sports."

Just to be clear on what that statement means, eight of the MWC schools and all eight of the Big West schools that UH competes with put more university money into subsidizing athletics than UH does. So on its face, it seems reasonable for UH to ask the legislature for more money.

The problem is that UH lobbied for and received budget autonomy from the Hawaii state legislature years ago. That means the legislature doesn't earmark funds for anything at the university. It appropriates a lump sum to UH every year and the university administration in its wisdom decides how to use it, including how much to allocate to subsidizing the athletic department. Given that, the legislature is almost certain to tell Lassner and Bley-Vroman "this is an internal UH problem, you figure out how to solve it, now go away."

First, I am not anti-Hawai'i.  I want them to succeed.  If it were up to me they would be a full member of the MWC without any subsidies.  However, I believe you are misinterpreting that quote.  It is trying to say that Hawai'i puts a larger percentage of state (in some form) money into the University's athletics budget than eight other MWC teams.  In dollar amounts it may, in fact be the largest share in the MWC.

Your right I just looked too. Your 2 - 6 with losses to schools like New Mexico, Maryland, Southern Miss.

Go check your runs in the 1AA playoffs. Much more impressive in my opinion. I remember those teams and those games. You had the whole of Northern Nevada fired up for those games. It's just not the same now. That is all I'm saying.

It would be no different than someone saying vegas football has always sucked, but they were making FF runs and winning it all in BB while in the Big West. Vegas should drop FB and play BB in the BW.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Your right I just looked too.  Your 2 - 6 with losses to schools like New Mexico, Maryland, Southern Miss. 

Go check your runs in the 1AA playoffs.  Much more impressive in my opinion.  I remember those teams and those games.  You had the whole of Northern Nevada fired up for those games.   It's just not the same now.  That is all I'm saying.

Fair enough, like slowhiteguy I just figured you were trolling.

The Big Sky was great for us at the time, but its not the same league it used to be. Our peers are in D1A, and the university has grown significantly since then, we need to compete at the highest level.

Those bowl losses have more to do with Ault's lack of preparation for big OOC games than anything. Most of them were very close.

Ultimately, I really like this league. I think over the next decade it will grow into the premiere G5 league. Lots of good regional rivals, and schools with untapped potential.

Fair enough, like slowhiteguy I just figured you were trolling.

The Big Sky was great for us at the time, but its not the same league it used to be. Our peers are in D1A, and the university has grown significantly since then, we need to compete at the highest level.

Those bowl losses have more to do with Ault's lack of preparation for big OOC games than anything. Most of them were very close.

Ultimately, I really like this league. I think over the next decade it will grow into the premiere G5 league. Lots of good regional rivals, and schools with untapped potential.

UNLV is still waiting on that thank you letter for saving your asses and getting you in this conference.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

If you're not trolling, then you really are short on the facts. There's a cool stat that I came up with a couple of years ago and I checked again, and it's still the same for G5's. Here it is:

In the last 7 years, which G5's have been ranked in the Top 10 in BB, and have been ranked at least #11 or better in FB?

Answer? Nevada & BYU.

And no one else is close.

Same question for P5's:

Answer? 20 schools.

Yeah, this FBS thing has just been too much!!   :). Of course in the other years FB and BB have also had very good and very bad moments. It's really a waste of time to debate. We'll have the money to do what the other good MWC do when it comes down to it. 

kat.jpg

Hawaii dropping down to the Big Sky is one of the dumber ideas ever postulated on this forum, which is saying something.

First of all, how the phuck would the Big Sky schools afford to travel to Hawaii?  The wouldn't.  So you'd still be paying travel subs.  Second of all it's not like Hawaii has always sucked and failed to be competitive at this level, they've had a few bad years.  UNLV and New Mexico have always sucked, not Hawaii.

Mountain out of a molehill.  They're cutting a few things and people act like the sky is falling.

You should be thanking us '& Fresno for not going along with The Project and leaving your sorry asses behind.

LOL like UNR had anything to do with anything. Next time we switch conferences I'll wait for our bytch on a leash Reno to follow us like a lost puppy.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

First Hawaii

Then San Jose State

The institutions will realize that many schools can't afford to play football and the fans sure don't support it.

Next comes UNLV, Wyoming and Utah State.

Fresno, SDSU and Boise State may survive. Watch the dominoes tumble over the next few years.

First Hawaii

Then San Jose State

The institutions will realize that many schools can't afford to play football and the fans sure don't support it.

Next comes UNLV, Wyoming and Utah State.

Fresno, SDSU and Boise State may survive. Watch the dominoes tumble over the next few years.

If you're willing to back it up with a major bet, I'd make the bet. Easy money. :)

kat.jpg

Hawaii dropping down to the Big Sky is one of the dumber ideas ever postulated on this forum, which is saying something.

First of all, how the phuck would the Big Sky schools afford to travel to Hawaii? The wouldn't. So you'd still be paying travel subs. Second of all it's not like Hawaii has always sucked and failed to be competitive at this level, they've had a few bad years. UNLV and New Mexico have always sucked, not Hawaii.

Mountain out of a molehill. They're cutting a few things and people act like the sky is falling.

Let's go a different route then. What is the end game for Cal Poly or UCD? are they both content to remain in fcs and stay in the BW for basketball? It's been almost 20 years since you joined us

Would that save you any money?

On a net basis UH would be FAR worse off financially as an FCS team in the Big Sky. Revenue would plummet while costs would only go down marginally. It won't happen.

CPslograd is right. There's a lot of overreaction to the current situation. We just happen to be stuck with a lousy coach and the fans are staying away until someone competent gets hired and the team starts winning home games again. That will bring back the crowds and go a long way toward closing the athletic department deficit. In the meantime more than half of the deficit could be wiped out immediately if the university had the backbone to charge UH students the same level of athletic fees that students pay at most other MWC and BW schools.

It seems pretty effed up to me that Hawaii may have to drop football because of a $3M / year shortfall, while Air Force isn't even cutting 1 of its TWENTY SEVEN ncaa sports with a $26M shortfall -- 3rd highest in the nation.  Crazy.  

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24839675/uab-football-isnt-alone-in-losing-money-for-athletic-departments

On a net basis UH would be FAR worse off financially as an FCS team in the Big Sky. Revenue would plummet while costs would only go down marginally. It won't happen.

CPslograd is right. There's a lot of overreaction to the current situation. We just happen to be stuck with a lousy coach and the fans are staying away until someone competent gets hired and the team starts winning home games again. That will bring back the crowds and go a long way toward closing the athletic department deficit. In the meantime more than half of the deficit could be wiped out immediately if the university had the backbone to charge UH students the same level of athletic fees that students pay at most other MWC and BW schools.

I also think the MW could better the situation by eliminating these travel subs, they were wrong at the time and they are still wrong today. The goal should not be to financially damage one of the schools in your conference but put them on a level playing field with the other schools. Hawaii is a benefit to the MW (although I'm sure some won't see that) and they should be treated as a valuable member. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Hawaii should go indy before considering cutting the program. Lots of bloated privileged 5 schools who could pay their own way, and would like that 13th game.  That is, if it doesn't interfere with their student's studying...

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism