Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Former UNLV home courts

I remember the early days of the Mack. I feel like I was raised in that building. I wish I was old enough to be around for the convention center days. I've heard stories of how amazing that environment was. I've heard it topped anything that has happened in the Mack, even in the glory years.

I remember the early days of the Mack. I feel like I was raised in that building. I wish I was old enough to be around for the convention center days. I've heard stories of how amazing that environment was. I've heard it topped anything that has happened in the Mack, even in the glory years.

Convention Center days..........a UNLV ticket was a tough item to get, only 6380 seats, but it rocked..............think I saw only 2 games in the CC rotunda..........one I know was when UNLV hosted U San Francisco which was ranked #1 with Bill Cartwright........was a WCAC (now WCC) conference game..........recall freshman Mike "Spiderman" Burns taking it down the lane & slamming one over Cartwright.

No fireworks in the CC, but they had 4 to 8 theater/stage lights in each corner that were manned.........they would put the red lens on & the guys would swing those lights around all over the arena when the lights went down & the band would play & the crowd would go crazy.

Old big lights sort of like this one:

oldspot.jpg

This is the back side of the rotunda ( looking west)..........with Convention Center drive going off to the west with the old Stardust at then end on the Las Vegas Strip - the tall building on the right is the Sahara Hotel

las-vegas-convention-centre.jpg

You want to talk about crowd noise. When UNLV beat #1 Temple at the rotunda it was the first time in Cbb history that the crowd was named MVP in a game by CBS when they aired the game.

Temple never played in the CC - that was the T&M

You want to talk about crowd noise. When UNLV beat #1 Temple at the rotunda it was the first time in Cbb history that the crowd was named MVP in a game by CBS when they aired the game.

You can't be serious?  I expected better from you.  Know your history.

Taking me back.  I coached basketball in the Dula center.  Went to a lot of basketball games and concerts at the old Convention Center.  Damn.  That was a long time ago.   

me too! (except not the coaching)... friends of mine were there in the riot when deep purple didn't show up. but in the early rebel days at the rotunda, you could walk in and pick your seat, hardly anybody was there, until just a couple of years before tarkanian got there. we would come in and buy tickets at the door,. then when tarkanian came in and got eddie owens and jackie robinson in there, then the rest, they were sold out from about 75? ish on...

sam smith, robert smith, tony smith, gondo, eddie owens, larry moffet, lou brown, and yes, reggie theus. '77 hardway 8.

me too! (except not the coaching)... friends of mine were there in the riot when deep purple didn't show up. but in the early rebel days at the rotunda, you could walk in and pick your seat, hardly anybody was there, until just a couple of years before tarkanian got there. we would come in and buy tickets at the door,. then when tarkanian came in and got eddie owens and jackie robinson in there, then the rest, they were sold out from about 75? ish on...

sam smith, robert smith, tony smith, gondo, eddie owens, larry moffet, lou brown, and yes, reggie theus. '77 hardway 8.

Wow - you're old 

So am I though !  :unsure:  :(